Chain Lube

Old October 2nd 16, 07:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Chain Lube

On Sun, 02 Oct 2016 00:09:16 -0500, Gregory Sutter

On 2016-09-30, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

While I realize that this might be heresy, I think Sheldon was wrong
because the factory grease is a dirt magnet. However, I use NBC
(nothing but cheapest) chains, which may use a uniquely cheap grease.

As a Sheldon trufan (the only sticker allowed on my favorite bike
is of He Who Rode With Eagle),

I use stickers to hide rust, chipped pain, and dings.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+stickers&tbm=isch

I'm appalled--but I also think
you're right. Shimano chains come in a sticky grease that is good
for storage; I've never found it to be good lube for an in-service
chain.

I did some Googling to determine what chain manufacturers are using. I
couldn't find much that was definitive. The consensus seems to be
that it's a wax, not a grease.

One candiate is some form of graphite and wax mix:
http://www.putoline.com/en/catalogue/product/140/chain-wax/1675/

SRAM allegedly uses some wax by Gleitmo, but no clue exactly which
type. Maybe one of these chain oils:
http://www.fuchs-lubritech.com/products/lubricating-fluids/overview/product/list/chain-oils-96.html

Several 30 year old Sedis chains smell like they were lubricated with
lard (pig fat).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 2nd 16, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

Gregory Sutter wrote in
:

On 2016-09-30, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

While I realize that this might be heresy, I think Sheldon was wrong
because the factory grease is a dirt magnet. However, I use NBC
(nothing but cheapest) chains, which may use a uniquely cheap grease.

As a Sheldon trufan (the only sticker allowed on my favorite bike
is of He Who Rode With Eagle), I'm appalled--but I also think
you're right. Shimano chains come in a sticky grease that is good
for storage; I've never found it to be good lube for an in-service
chain.

Would it be similar to the volatile corrosion inhibitor that armaments depot
use on small arms going into long-term storage?
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old October 2nd 16, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 14:10:34 -0000 (UTC), Andrew Chaplin
wrote:

Would it be similar to the volatile corrosion inhibitor that armaments depot
use on small arms going into long-term storage?

Cosmoline. I can see you've never hand to clean or handle Cosmoline.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmoline
http://www.cosmolinedirect.com/cosmoline-greases/
It's an oil and wax mix rust preventive, that's rather messy to
remove. It has no lubricating qualities, requires solvent to remove
(doesn't wipe off easily), and covers a wide range of compositions,
mostly made from petroleum refinery waste products. Unlike the
transparent grease/wax used on bicycle chains, Cosmoline is a brown
tar like goo. I don't think it will be suitable for bicycle chains,
expect possibly for long term storage. Should one choose to be
mummified and buried with one's bicycle, Cosmoline might be a suitable
preservative for both the bicycle and its former rider.

Old October 3rd 16, 12:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

Jeff Liebermann wrote in
:

wrote:

Would it be similar to the volatile corrosion inhibitor that armaments
depot use on small arms going into long-term storage?

Cosmoline. I can see you've never hand to clean or handle Cosmoline.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmoline
http://www.cosmolinedirect.com/cosmoline-greases/
It's an oil and wax mix rust preventive, that's rather messy to
remove. It has no lubricating qualities, requires solvent to remove
(doesn't wipe off easily), and covers a wide range of compositions,
mostly made from petroleum refinery waste products. Unlike the
transparent grease/wax used on bicycle chains, Cosmoline is a brown
tar like goo. I don't think it will be suitable for bicycle chains,
expect possibly for long term storage. Should one choose to be
mummified and buried with one's bicycle, Cosmoline might be a suitable
preservative for both the bicycle and its former rider.

I have had to deal with a Canadian formulation of VCI. I was a soldier, and
whenever you went on something like a junior NCO course, they would cycle
rifles out of long-term storage, issue them to your course, and you'd be
hard pressed to have them ready for inspection the next morning. Yes, it was
brown and sticky.
Old October 6th 16, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 30/09/16 22:35, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 09:31:43 +0700, John B.
wrote:

If not than perhaps the best solution would be to devise a method of
chain lubrication that would emulate the original factory lubrication.

I'll resist the temptation to scrape off sufficient grease from my new
chains still in the box to analyze. Sticky goo, that collects quite a
bit of dust to produce a tar like coating has been my experience.
While I realize that this might be heresy, I think Sheldon was wrong
because the factory grease is a dirt magnet. However, I use NBC
(nothing but cheapest) chains, which may use a uniquely cheap grease.

A few years ago I needed to replace the rear sprocket thingy - it seemed
like a new chain to go with it was the right thing to do (the chainwheel
looked OK).

The sprocket doofer was Shimano and the chain was lower middle price
range - the chain was knackered after a few months.

peers into toolbox

I don't have a sprocket doofer! Do I need one?

Old October 6th 16, 08:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

I believe that the well equipped cyclist will have not only a Doofer
but also a Doofer Wrench :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 6th 16, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Not if you can ride a bicycle undoofed.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 6th 16, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Hanging n reverse hanging has potential as chain stretches to ground, links connection surfaces move ground ward...thus ?

speculate ? Chains are hung opposite running force direction after cleating then rec leaned n rehung into the correct running position.

True but pass the used brake fluid por favor ..
Old October 6th 16, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Cosmoline...remember Cosmo ?

On Triumphs off the boat...on same lot as a rare Toyota Mayflower

https://goo.gl/images/WtfXJa
Old October 6th 16, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=search-action

Factory lube/chaincase experiment (X8 chain, Chainglider chain case,Surly SS & Rohloff gears) Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 15 July 14th 13 08:07 PM
Dry Chain Lube? !Jones[_3_] Techniques 5 June 13th 08 04:10 AM
Chain lube Si UK 13 August 20th 05 07:24 AM
CHAIN LUBE CHAIN LUBE CHAIN LUBE g.daniels Techniques 10 November 1st 04 05:08 PM
Chain Lube Doki Mountain Biking 8 October 22nd 04 09:07 PM