when-a-bike-is-not-a-bike [sic]

Old October 4th 16, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default when-a-bike-is-not-a-bike [sic]

On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 1:28:25 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 11:38:04 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau

The cardiologist explained some of this to me with this diagram about
an hour before throwing me out of the hospital:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/stent-01.jpg
I'm still trying to decode it.

Those are your arteries?

I think so, but it's difficult to tell from the drawing. You've
probably seen a doctors signature or prescription hand-scribbling.
Well, now you see how well they can draw. Admittedly, he was in a
hurry, but then doctors are always in a hurry.

Honestly, Bro, it looks more like a sketch of a bike frame ...

I have the same problem trying to identify what passing clouds
resemble. Anyway, this might help turn a bad bicycle frame design,
into a more readable bad bicycle frame design:
https://www.bikecad.ca

Cool!
Well, if you need to mill something before you get yours going, lemme know.

Old October 5th 16, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 10:58:07 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Mon, 03 Oct 2016 09:55:44 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Somehow I thought that was the norm. A little nap after lunch :-)

This was after dinner. It was Friday evening and I was celebrating
(by myself) having completed a rather messy computer upgrade. I do
tend to get sleepy after stuffing my face, but didn't expect to do
much more than collapse after dinner when I returned to my palatial
office to unload the junk from the Subaru. However, I got a call from
my neighbor asking for immediate financial assistance so he could have
his gas hog SUV towed from downtown Santa Cruz. I logically deduced
that trying to find a parking place in downtown Santa Cruz on a Friday
evening offered equal odds to winning the lottery, so I decided to
make the 1.5 mile ride on my bicycle.

I inflated the tires (they leak), grabbed some cash, checked the
lighting (batteries were discharged), and took off forgetting my
helmet. About half way there, I started to experience chest pains
(angina). I slowed down which didn't help much. I walked the rest of
the way. When I arrived, I had to take a nitroglycerine pill. The
pain went away instantly. After paying the tow truck, I tried to ride
the bicycle back to my palatial office, but gave up after the chest
pains returned. Another nitro pill temporarily solved that problem. I
made it back to the office, collapsed in a chair, pondered my fate,
and fell asleep for about 2 hrs. When I awoke, I was fine.

I never did find my bicycle helmet and had to buy a new one.

If they are "cartridge" bearings, with a identification number, than
your local bearing shop should have them

The local bearing supplier (Motion Industries) closed many years ago.
I now buy such things online from various resellers.
http://www.mscdirect.com/products/bearings?rdrct=bearing
If I can identify it, I can usually find it. I'm currently trying to
find replacement spindle bearings that can handle side thrust to
convert a drill press into a crude mill.

You are referring to the horizontally mounted bearings that support a
vertically mounted spindle in a drill press? That will support a side,
i.e., horizontally applied force? Don't the normally installed
bearings do that, at least to some extent?

I had assumed that they were normal, probably single race, ball
bearings, in a drill press and probably a double row bearing in a
vertical milling machines. See:
http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCMillBeltDrive.html

Since you probably aren't the market for remachining the lower spindle
bearing mounting it is possible that one could substitute a small
roller bearing lower spindle bearing. See:
http://tinyurl.com/yvfmnc

Search for "Timken small roller bearing" and you should find pdf
files that will list details and sizes, etc.

Remember Jim Fixx, the guru of jogging? He died at 53 from a heart attack.

Much detail snipped

Also, in 2002, I started feeling chest pains when my blockage numbers
were similar to Fixx's. I would expect him to also have at least felt
some discomfort or pain on exertion. I would be surprised if he
pushed himself despite the pain, which does go away rather quickly
when one slows down. It's much like continuing to use a noisy
machine, ignoring the noises until something fails and it falls apart.

From what I have read I suspect that he did have physical symptoms and
ignored them.

Remember in those days running was pretty much universally thought to
cure whatever was the matter with you :-)

In fact the
--
cheers,

John B.