A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

FSA Policy



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 12th 17, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,346
Default FSA Policy

I bought an FSA compact Gossamer crankset. This is the one with the latest MegaEVO 30 mm shaft on it. Very nice crankset.

Save for one little problem. They DO NOT MAKE ITALIAN BB CUPS for it.

Contacting them I'm told that since the only Italian company making Italian threaded BB's is Pinarello they decided not to make them.

Of course there are actually a dozen or more Italian custom bike frame makers that still use Italian BB's but there's no use in mentioning that to them.

So I will no longer buy nor recommend FSA components to anyone.

There is a private company in Italy that makes a BB that will fit the Pinarello but the cost of the BB and it's shipping is so high that I just bought an almost new Campy Chorus crank and cups for less.
Ads
  #2  
Old October 12th 17, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,821
Default FSA Policy

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 4:22:14 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I bought an FSA compact Gossamer crankset. This is the one with the latest MegaEVO 30 mm shaft on it. Very nice crankset.

Save for one little problem. They DO NOT MAKE ITALIAN BB CUPS for it.

Contacting them I'm told that since the only Italian company making Italian threaded BB's is Pinarello they decided not to make them.

Of course there are actually a dozen or more Italian custom bike frame makers that still use Italian BB's but there's no use in mentioning that to them.

So I will no longer buy nor recommend FSA components to anyone.

There is a private company in Italy that makes a BB that will fit the Pinarello but the cost of the BB and it's shipping is so high that I just bought an almost new Campy Chorus crank and cups for less.


https://www.amazon.com/FSA-BB-8200-M.../dp/B0096XQ6WS

-- Jay Beattie.

  #3  
Old October 12th 17, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,346
Default FSA Policy

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 8:14:57 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 4:22:14 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I bought an FSA compact Gossamer crankset. This is the one with the latest MegaEVO 30 mm shaft on it. Very nice crankset.

Save for one little problem. They DO NOT MAKE ITALIAN BB CUPS for it.

Contacting them I'm told that since the only Italian company making Italian threaded BB's is Pinarello they decided not to make them.

Of course there are actually a dozen or more Italian custom bike frame makers that still use Italian BB's but there's no use in mentioning that to them.

So I will no longer buy nor recommend FSA components to anyone.

There is a private company in Italy that makes a BB that will fit the Pinarello but the cost of the BB and it's shipping is so high that I just bought an almost new Campy Chorus crank and cups for less.


https://www.amazon.com/FSA-BB-8200-M.../dp/B0096XQ6WS


That is the MegaExo. That is the 24 mm shaft. The latest is a 30 mm shaft and the BB is MegaEVO.

As you can see from that advertisement though, the cost of a ceramic BB is so high that it has reached the stage of a joke. Do you gain anything from these? No, steel ball bearings are rounder and wear better. But they are a millionth of an ounce lighter.
  #4  
Old October 12th 17, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,821
Default FSA Policy

On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 7:21:56 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 8:14:57 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 4:22:14 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I bought an FSA compact Gossamer crankset. This is the one with the latest MegaEVO 30 mm shaft on it. Very nice crankset.

Save for one little problem. They DO NOT MAKE ITALIAN BB CUPS for it.

Contacting them I'm told that since the only Italian company making Italian threaded BB's is Pinarello they decided not to make them.

Of course there are actually a dozen or more Italian custom bike frame makers that still use Italian BB's but there's no use in mentioning that to them.

So I will no longer buy nor recommend FSA components to anyone.

There is a private company in Italy that makes a BB that will fit the Pinarello but the cost of the BB and it's shipping is so high that I just bought an almost new Campy Chorus crank and cups for less.


https://www.amazon.com/FSA-BB-8200-M.../dp/B0096XQ6WS


That is the MegaExo. That is the 24 mm shaft. The latest is a 30 mm shaft and the BB is MegaEVO.

As you can see from that advertisement though, the cost of a ceramic BB is so high that it has reached the stage of a joke. Do you gain anything from these? No, steel ball bearings are rounder and wear better. But they are a millionth of an ounce lighter.


How about: https://glorycycles.com/rotor-ita30-...ottom-bracket/ Still spendy.

My personal approach would have been a Shimano Italiano BB: https://tinyurl..com/y95kz5ly and a Shimano Ultegra crank. It sounds like you found a solution.

BTW, one thing I miss with my new commuter is a threaded BB. One of my partners bought a Scott Speedster Disc which comes with a threaded BB and all the bells and whistles for a solid aluminum commuter/sport bike. It was cheap, too. If I didn't get a warranty replacement, I would have bought something like that.

-- Jay Beattie.



-- Jay Beattie.
  #5  
Old October 12th 17, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,188
Default FSA Policy

jbeattie wrote:

:BTW, one thing I miss with my new commuter is a threaded BB. One of my partners bought a Scott Speedster Disc which comes with a threaded BB and all the bells and whistles for a solid aluminum commuter/sport bike. It was cheap, too. If I didn't get a warranty replacement, I would have bought something like that.


I prefer bikes with hollow tubes.

--
sig 6
  #6  
Old October 12th 17, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,080
Default FSA Policy

On 10/12/2017 12:59 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
jbeattie wrote:

:BTW, one thing I miss with my new commuter is a threaded BB. One of my partners bought a Scott Speedster Disc which comes with a threaded BB and all the bells and whistles for a solid aluminum commuter/sport bike. It was cheap, too. If I didn't get a warranty replacement, I would have bought something like that.


I prefer bikes with hollow tubes.


whaddaya some kinda luddite?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #7  
Old October 13th 17, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,346
Default FSA Policy

On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 9:17:58 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 7:21:56 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 8:14:57 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 4:22:14 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I bought an FSA compact Gossamer crankset. This is the one with the latest MegaEVO 30 mm shaft on it. Very nice crankset.

Save for one little problem. They DO NOT MAKE ITALIAN BB CUPS for it.

  #8  
Old October 13th 17, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,346
Default FSA Policy

On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 11:38:18 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/12/2017 12:59 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
jbeattie wrote:

:BTW, one thing I miss with my new commuter is a threaded BB. One of my partners bought a Scott Speedster Disc which comes with a threaded BB and all the bells and whistles for a solid aluminum commuter/sport bike. It was cheap, too. If I didn't get a warranty replacement, I would have bought something like that.


I prefer bikes with hollow tubes.


whaddaya some kinda luddite?


Andrew - what sort of anti-seize should I use on the aluminum cups in the steel bottom bracket? While I've never had any interaction between those two, with the talk about it and using copper anti-seize I wouldn't want someone in the future to have problems. I expect that my heirs will be selling off my collection and I'd as soon that it was junk going into someone else's barn.

The bike is really coming along nicely. I bought a Nashbar stem that has a sharp rise and it does put the bars in the correct position but it doesn't look very good so I'll probably change that over to a threadless adapter and threadless MTB stem with a rise more than road stems.
  #9  
Old October 13th 17, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,080
Default FSA Policy

On 10/13/2017 10:20 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 11:38:18 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/12/2017 12:59 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
jbeattie wrote:

:BTW, one thing I miss with my new commuter is a threaded BB. One of my partners bought a Scott Speedster Disc which comes with a threaded BB and all the bells and whistles for a solid aluminum commuter/sport bike. It was cheap, too. If I didn't get a warranty replacement, I would have bought something like that.


I prefer bikes with hollow tubes.


whaddaya some kinda luddite?


Andrew - what sort of anti-seize should I use on the aluminum cups in the steel bottom bracket? While I've never had any interaction between those two, with the talk about it and using copper anti-seize I wouldn't want someone in the future to have problems. I expect that my heirs will be selling off my collection and I'd as soon that it was junk going into someone else's barn.

The bike is really coming along nicely. I bought a Nashbar stem that has a sharp rise and it does put the bars in the correct position but it doesn't look very good so I'll probably change that over to a threadless adapter and threadless MTB stem with a rise more than road stems.


We use molybdenum paste. I have a can of copper for auto
work, either is fine for this.

p.s. I am unfamiliar with aluminum antiseize paste so I
can't comment on it.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #10  
Old October 13th 17, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,483
Default FSA Policy

On 10/13/2017 12:07 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/13/2017 10:20 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 11:38:18 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/12/2017 12:59 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
jbeattie wrote:

:BTW, one thing I miss with my new commuter is a threaded BB. One of
my partners bought a Scott Speedster Disc which comes with a
threaded BB and all the bells and whistles for a solid aluminum
commuter/sport bike. It was cheap, too.* If I didn't get a warranty
replacement, I would have bought something like that.


I prefer bikes with hollow tubes.


whaddaya some kinda luddite?


Andrew - what sort of anti-seize should I use on the aluminum cups in
the steel bottom bracket? While I've never had any interaction between
those two, with the talk about it and using copper anti-seize I
wouldn't want someone in the future to have problems. I expect that my
heirs will be selling off my collection and I'd as soon that it was
junk going into someone else's barn.

The bike is really coming along nicely. I bought a Nashbar stem that
has a sharp rise and it does put the bars in the correct position but
it doesn't look very good so I'll probably change that over to a
threadless adapter and threadless MTB stem with a rise more than road
stems.


We use molybdenum paste. I have a can of copper for auto work, either is
fine for this.

p.s. I am unfamiliar with aluminum antiseize paste so I can't comment on
it.


FWIW, I used copper on auto stuff decades ago. When I went into an auto
parts store to restock, I couldn't find the copper stuff, so I
reluctantly bought the aluminum stuff.

I've used the aluminum ever since, and it seems to have worked as well.
I've never detected a difference. Well, except I think the copper is
prettier.


--
- Frank Krygowski
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hi-vis policy failure. Simon Mason UK 15 December 14th 09 01:00 PM
U.r.c.m Moderation policy Simon Brooke[_2_] UK 120 July 10th 09 01:31 AM
CTC Helmet Policy judith UK 112 August 1st 08 05:33 PM
Torpedo7 returns policy Travis Australia 1 October 3rd 07 02:53 AM
Appropriate Use Policy [email protected] Recumbent Biking 81 February 16th 05 02:40 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.