A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

DRIVERLESS ELECTRIC CARS



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 4th 17, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,116
Default DRIVERLESS ELECTRIC CARS



OH JOY


https://www.nytimes.com/video/techno...=71480105&te=1


Ads
  #2  
Old October 4th 17, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,526
Default DRIVERLESS ELECTRIC CARS

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 07:54:47 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

OH JOY
https://www.nytimes.com/video/techno...rless-car.html

"Bikes May Have To Talk To Self-Driving Cars For Safety's Sake"
http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2017/07/24/537746346/bikes-may-have-to-talk-to-self-driving-cars-for-safetys-sake
I guess the next step is a semi-self-driving-bicycle that detects road
and vehicle hazards and takes over control of the bicycle if it
detects something dangerous or unsafe.

Hint:
- Would you fly in an autonomous airplane?
- Would you ride in a self driving bus or train?
- How do you feel in a driverless elevator?
- Would you really want to do the same in an automobile or bicycle?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
  #3  
Old October 4th 17, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,116
Default DRIVERLESS ELECTRIC CARS

On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 9:52:38 AM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 07:54:47 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

OH JOY
https://www.nytimes.com/video/techno...rless-car.html

"Bikes May Have To Talk To Self-Driving Cars For Safety's Sake"
http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2017/07/24/537746346/bikes-may-have-to-talk-to-self-driving-cars-for-safetys-sake
I guess the next step is a semi-self-driving-bicycle that detects road
and vehicle hazards and takes over control of the bicycle if it
detects something dangerous or unsafe.

Hint:
- Would you fly in an autonomous airplane?
- Would you ride in a self driving bus or train?
- How do you feel in a driverless elevator?
- Would you really want to do the same in an automobile or bicycle?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558


Google Fairfield and Pittsburgh are over the horizon

definitive, both ignore the now fact we can't hear an electric car

DUH
  #4  
Old October 5th 17, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,526
Default DRIVERLESS ELECTRIC CARS

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 14:36:59 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 9:52:38 AM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 07:54:47 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

OH JOY
https://www.nytimes.com/video/techno...rless-car.html

"Bikes May Have To Talk To Self-Driving Cars For Safety's Sake"
http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2017/07/24/537746346/bikes-may-have-to-talk-to-self-driving-cars-for-safetys-sake
I guess the next step is a semi-self-driving-bicycle that detects road
and vehicle hazards and takes over control of the bicycle if it
detects something dangerous or unsafe.

Hint:
- Would you fly in an autonomous airplane?
- Would you ride in a self driving bus or train?
- How do you feel in a driverless elevator?
- Would you really want to do the same in an automobile or bicycle?


Google Fairfield and Pittsburgh are over the horizon definitive,


Nothing found.

both ignore the now fact we can't hear an electric car


"Electric cars are now required to make noise at low speeds so they
dont sneak up and kill us"
https://www.theverge.com/2016/11/16/13651106/electric-car-noise-nhtsa-rule-blind-pedestrian-safety
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_warning_sounds

Sample sounds:
https://web.archive.org/web/20130306092938/http://www.nhtsa.gov/SampleSounds
I wonder how long it will take for drivers to substitute the sounds of
horses, cattle stampede, steam trains, covered wagons, tanks, toys,
and such?

You didn't answer my question. Do you really want a
semi-self-driving-bicycle? I'm told that it's for your safety.


--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
  #5  
Old October 5th 17, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,380
Default DRIVERLESS ELECTRIC CARS

On Wed, 04 Oct 2017 09:52:39 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 07:54:47 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

OH JOY
https://www.nytimes.com/video/techno...rless-car.html

"Bikes May Have To Talk To Self-Driving Cars For Safety's Sake"
http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2017/07/24/537746346/bikes-may-have-to-talk-to-self-driving-cars-for-safetys-sake
I guess the next step is a semi-self-driving-bicycle that detects road
and vehicle hazards and takes over control of the bicycle if it
detects something dangerous or unsafe.

Hint:
- Would you fly in an autonomous airplane?
- Would you ride in a self driving bus or train?
- How do you feel in a driverless elevator?
- Would you really want to do the same in an automobile or bicycle?


I believe that essentially most modern subway trains are computer
controlled although they may have a "driver" in the control cab and I
can't remember ever being in an elevator that had a driver :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

  #6  
Old October 5th 17, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,116
Default DRIVERLESS ELECTRIC CARS

SUPER !

have not heard anything from them.
  #7  
Old October 5th 17, 05:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,526
Default DRIVERLESS ELECTRIC CARS

On Thu, 05 Oct 2017 07:37:01 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Oct 2017 09:52:39 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 07:54:47 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

OH JOY
https://www.nytimes.com/video/techno...rless-car.html

"Bikes May Have To Talk To Self-Driving Cars For Safety's Sake"
http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2017/07/24/537746346/bikes-may-have-to-talk-to-self-driving-cars-for-safetys-sake
I guess the next step is a semi-self-driving-bicycle that detects road
and vehicle hazards and takes over control of the bicycle if it
detects something dangerous or unsafe.

Hint:
- Would you fly in an autonomous airplane?
- Would you ride in a self driving bus or train?
- How do you feel in a driverless elevator?
- Would you really want to do the same in an automobile or bicycle?


I believe that essentially most modern subway trains are computer
controlled although they may have a "driver" in the control cab and I
can't remember ever being in an elevator that had a driver :-)


I live on the left coast of the USofA. We don't have subways except
for BART. Subways are an east coast thing.

Trains and subways have various levels of automation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automated_urban_metro_subway_systems#Degre es_of_Automation
I think there has been sufficient experience to consider a self
driving train to be safe. Probably same for an elevator. Airplanes
have been able to takeoff, fly, and land without a pilot for many
years. I'm not sure if the airlines actually do that:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoland

So, are you ready and willing to have your bicycle do many of the same
things?

Incidentally, the last time I rode in an elevator with an operator was
in the late 1950's or early 1960's.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
  #8  
Old October 5th 17, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,281
Default DRIVERLESS ELECTRIC CARS

On 10/5/2017 12:37 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 05 Oct 2017 07:37:01 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Oct 2017 09:52:39 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 07:54:47 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

OH JOY
https://www.nytimes.com/video/techno...rless-car.html

"Bikes May Have To Talk To Self-Driving Cars For Safety's Sake"
http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2017/07/24/537746346/bikes-may-have-to-talk-to-self-driving-cars-for-safetys-sake
I guess the next step is a semi-self-driving-bicycle that detects road
and vehicle hazards and takes over control of the bicycle if it
detects something dangerous or unsafe.

Hint:
- Would you fly in an autonomous airplane?
- Would you ride in a self driving bus or train?
- How do you feel in a driverless elevator?
- Would you really want to do the same in an automobile or bicycle?


I believe that essentially most modern subway trains are computer
controlled although they may have a "driver" in the control cab and I
can't remember ever being in an elevator that had a driver :-)


I live on the left coast of the USofA. We don't have subways except
for BART. Subways are an east coast thing.

Trains and subways have various levels of automation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automated_urban_metro_subway_systems#Degre es_of_Automation
I think there has been sufficient experience to consider a self
driving train to be safe. Probably same for an elevator. Airplanes
have been able to takeoff, fly, and land without a pilot for many
years. I'm not sure if the airlines actually do that:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoland

So, are you ready and willing to have your bicycle do many of the same
things?

Incidentally, the last time I rode in an elevator with an operator was
in the late 1950's or early 1960's.


Pittsburgh International Airport uses self-driving subway shuttles to
carry passengers between terminals. I've never experienced or even heard
of a problem.


--
- Frank Krygowski
  #9  
Old October 5th 17, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,177
Default DRIVERLESS ELECTRIC CARS

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
:On Thu, 05 Oct 2017 07:37:01 +0700, John B.
:wrote:

:On Wed, 04 Oct 2017 09:52:39 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
:wrote:
:
:On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 07:54:47 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
:
:OH JOY
:
https://www.nytimes.com/video/techno...rless-car.html
:
:"Bikes May Have To Talk To Self-Driving Cars For Safety's Sake"
:http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2017/07/24/537746346/bikes-may-have-to-talk-to-self-driving-cars-for-safetys-sake
:I guess the next step is a semi-self-driving-bicycle that detects road
:and vehicle hazards and takes over control of the bicycle if it
:detects something dangerous or unsafe.
:
:Hint:
:- Would you fly in an autonomous airplane?
:- Would you ride in a self driving bus or train?
:- How do you feel in a driverless elevator?
:- Would you really want to do the same in an automobile or bicycle?

:I believe that essentially most modern subway trains are computer
:controlled although they may have a "driver" in the control cab and I
:can't remember ever being in an elevator that had a driver :-)

:I live on the left coast of the USofA. We don't have subways except
:for BART. Subways are an east coast thing.

:Trains and subways have various levels of automation:
:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automated_urban_metro_subway_systems#Degre es_of_Automation
:I think there has been sufficient experience to consider a self
:driving train to be safe. Probably same for an elevator. Airplanes
:have been able to takeoff, fly, and land without a pilot for many
:years. I'm not sure if the airlines actually do that:
:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoland

:So, are you ready and willing to have your bicycle do many of the same
:things?

:Incidentally, the last time I rode in an elevator with an operator was
:in the late 1950's or early 1960's.

I rode one last month. (Fine Arts building in Chicago has completely
manually operated elevators, operator has to stop in the right place.)

--
This is a randomly numbered sig.
  #10  
Old October 5th 17, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doc O'Leary[_21_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16
Default DRIVERLESS ELECTRIC CARS

For your reference, records indicate that
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I think there has been sufficient experience to consider a self
driving train to be safe. Probably same for an elevator.


It’s not even a question of experience, but of environment. Elevators
operate in a very controlled space. It should come as no surprise
that they were easy to automate a long time ago, and that people are
comfortable with their automation.

Trains also operate in a fairly restricted space. Being on rails,
they’re essentially a low-hanging-fruit version of an autonomous
vehicle. If they aren’t the *first* vehicles being universally
controlled by computers, that technology is not road worthy.

Airplanes
have been able to takeoff, fly, and land without a pilot for many
years.


Air travel is “easy” because there’s very little in the way of physical restrictions on the vehicle.

So, are you ready and willing to have your bicycle do many of the same
things?


Cars, motorcycles, and (lastly) bikes are used in *very* different
conditions from those other vehicles. The driving environment is
inherently messy, and the smaller the vehicle is the less equipment you
can put on it to process that data. It doesn’t help that smaller
vehicles will also be able to travel into places that a larger vehicle
cannot. So, no, I wouldn’t want my bike to always operate like a car,
just like I’m sure most people don’t want a car that operates like a
train.

Or, put another way, why would I go biking if the only thing I’m acting
as is a weak engine? Just slap an electric motor on it at that point
and make it like every other autonomous vehicle on the road.

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric cars in the wet NEMO UK 3 February 16th 15 04:09 PM
OBIT ELECTRIC CARS kolldata Techniques 2 October 30th 11 09:49 PM
Charging points for cars but what about electric bicycles? Doug[_3_] UK 17 February 27th 10 06:10 PM
Electric Car Conversion Companies: Alternatives To Gas Powered Cars n41beyha Unicycling 0 November 27th 07 04:40 PM
An Electric Car Conversion Kit Will Not Affect Your Cars Speed OrPick-Up n41beyha Techniques 0 November 27th 07 04:19 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.