FSA Policy

Old October 12th 17, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default FSA Policy

I bought an FSA compact Gossamer crankset. This is the one with the latest MegaEVO 30 mm shaft on it. Very nice crankset.

Save for one little problem. They DO NOT MAKE ITALIAN BB CUPS for it.

Contacting them I'm told that since the only Italian company making Italian threaded BB's is Pinarello they decided not to make them.

Of course there are actually a dozen or more Italian custom bike frame makers that still use Italian BB's but there's no use in mentioning that to them.

So I will no longer buy nor recommend FSA components to anyone.

There is a private company in Italy that makes a BB that will fit the Pinarello but the cost of the BB and it's shipping is so high that I just bought an almost new Campy Chorus crank and cups for less.
Old October 12th 17, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 4:22:14 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I bought an FSA compact Gossamer crankset. This is the one with the latest MegaEVO 30 mm shaft on it. Very nice crankset.

Save for one little problem. They DO NOT MAKE ITALIAN BB CUPS for it.

Contacting them I'm told that since the only Italian company making Italian threaded BB's is Pinarello they decided not to make them.

Of course there are actually a dozen or more Italian custom bike frame makers that still use Italian BB's but there's no use in mentioning that to them.

So I will no longer buy nor recommend FSA components to anyone.

There is a private company in Italy that makes a BB that will fit the Pinarello but the cost of the BB and it's shipping is so high that I just bought an almost new Campy Chorus crank and cups for less.

https://www.amazon.com/FSA-BB-8200-M.../dp/B0096XQ6WS

-- Jay Beattie.

Old October 12th 17, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 8:14:57 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 4:22:14 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I bought an FSA compact Gossamer crankset. This is the one with the latest MegaEVO 30 mm shaft on it. Very nice crankset.

Save for one little problem. They DO NOT MAKE ITALIAN BB CUPS for it.

Contacting them I'm told that since the only Italian company making Italian threaded BB's is Pinarello they decided not to make them.

Of course there are actually a dozen or more Italian custom bike frame makers that still use Italian BB's but there's no use in mentioning that to them.

So I will no longer buy nor recommend FSA components to anyone.

There is a private company in Italy that makes a BB that will fit the Pinarello but the cost of the BB and it's shipping is so high that I just bought an almost new Campy Chorus crank and cups for less.

https://www.amazon.com/FSA-BB-8200-M.../dp/B0096XQ6WS

That is the MegaExo. That is the 24 mm shaft. The latest is a 30 mm shaft and the BB is MegaEVO.

As you can see from that advertisement though, the cost of a ceramic BB is so high that it has reached the stage of a joke. Do you gain anything from these? No, steel ball bearings are rounder and wear better. But they are a millionth of an ounce lighter.
Old October 12th 17, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 7:21:56 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

How about: https://glorycycles.com/rotor-ita30-...ottom-bracket/ Still spendy.

My personal approach would have been a Shimano Italiano BB: https://tinyurl..com/y95kz5ly and a Shimano Ultegra crank. It sounds like you found a solution.

BTW, one thing I miss with my new commuter is a threaded BB. One of my partners bought a Scott Speedster Disc which comes with a threaded BB and all the bells and whistles for a solid aluminum commuter/sport bike. It was cheap, too. If I didn't get a warranty replacement, I would have bought something like that.

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 12th 17, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

jbeattie wrote:

:BTW, one thing I miss with my new commuter is a threaded BB. One of my partners bought a Scott Speedster Disc which comes with a threaded BB and all the bells and whistles for a solid aluminum commuter/sport bike. It was cheap, too. If I didn't get a warranty replacement, I would have bought something like that.

I prefer bikes with hollow tubes.

--
sig 6
Old October 12th 17, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/12/2017 12:59 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
jbeattie wrote:

:BTW, one thing I miss with my new commuter is a threaded BB. One of my partners bought a Scott Speedster Disc which comes with a threaded BB and all the bells and whistles for a solid aluminum commuter/sport bike. It was cheap, too. If I didn't get a warranty replacement, I would have bought something like that.

I prefer bikes with hollow tubes.

whaddaya some kinda luddite?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 13th 17, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

jbeattie wrote:

:BTW, one thing I miss with my new commuter is a threaded BB. One of my partners bought a Scott Speedster Disc which comes with a threaded BB and all the bells and whistles for a solid aluminum commuter/sport bike. It was cheap, too. If I didn't get a warranty replacement, I would have bought something like that.

I prefer bikes with hollow tubes.

whaddaya some kinda luddite?

Andrew - what sort of anti-seize should I use on the aluminum cups in the steel bottom bracket? While I've never had any interaction between those two, with the talk about it and using copper anti-seize I wouldn't want someone in the future to have problems. I expect that my heirs will be selling off my collection and I'd as soon that it was junk going into someone else's barn.

The bike is really coming along nicely. I bought a Nashbar stem that has a sharp rise and it does put the bars in the correct position but it doesn't look very good so I'll probably change that over to a threadless adapter and threadless MTB stem with a rise more than road stems.
Old October 13th 17, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

jbeattie wrote:

[...]

We use molybdenum paste. I have a can of copper for auto
work, either is fine for this.

p.s. I am unfamiliar with aluminum antiseize paste so I
can't comment on it.

Old October 13th 17, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

jbeattie wrote:

:BTW, one thing I miss with my new commuter is a threaded BB. One of
my partners bought a Scott Speedster Disc which comes with a
threaded BB and all the bells and whistles for a solid aluminum
commuter/sport bike. It was cheap, too.Â* If I didn't get a warranty
[...]

FWIW, I used copper on auto stuff decades ago. When I went into an auto
parts store to restock, I couldn't find the copper stuff, so I
reluctantly bought the aluminum stuff.

I've used the aluminum ever since, and it seems to have worked as well.
I've never detected a difference. Well, except I think the copper is
prettier.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Hi-vis policy failure. Simon Mason UK 15 December 14th 09 01:00 PM
U.r.c.m Moderation policy Simon Brooke[_2_] UK 120 July 10th 09 01:31 AM
CTC Helmet Policy judith UK 112 August 1st 08 05:33 PM
Torpedo7 returns policy Travis Australia 1 October 3rd 07 02:53 AM
Appropriate Use Policy [email protected] Recumbent Biking 81 February 16th 05 02:40 AM