Unicycle Speech

Old January 12th 09, 02:42 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
zogola

Default Unicycle Speech

Its *your* speech so I think you should figure out for yourself what it
should cover. Ahh, if only the internet existed when I was in school...
I could have slept even more.

goes in.

Kurt

--
zogola
Old January 13th 09, 08:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UNI kid

Also if anyone has any good history websites for info for history and
other info.
I would appreciate your help

--
UNI kid

:eek :
Old January 13th 09, 08:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
CoreTechs

There is plenty of information on 'www.unicycling.com'
(http://unicycling.com) and www.unicycling.org

--
CoreTechs

UNICYCLE FOR CHRIST

In nomine patris et filii et spiritus sancti

)--21stOverall-RTL2008-O
)--18thCriterium-RTL2008-O
Old January 14th 09, 09:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tumbles

you should deff point out how much more of a bad a** you are for not
needing two wheels

seriously though, I would point out the skill required to ride a
unicycle I think most people assume its just like riding a bike. Not to
say its something thats over the top difficult, but it uses different
muscles and coordination (hey children can do it!)

--
tumbles
Old January 14th 09, 09:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Mikefule

The problem isn't deciding what to say. It's deciding what not to say.
You need to avoid rambling on without focus or structure.

How long will the speech be in minutes?

Can you work from notes?

Can you read it out?

Can you use visual aids such as a wallchart?

Here's a simple rule: the rule of three.

Think of three things (e.g. an introduction, a main point, and a follow
up point.)

Think of three main things to say about each. You can use the same
"introduction, main point, follow up point" structure.

That gives you 3 x 3 = 9 things to say.

Now if you break each of those 9 into three, you have 9 x 3 = 27
points.

27 points at a minute each is very nearly half an hour. At 30 seconds
each, it's around 15 minutes.

But by using the 3 x 3 x 3 formula, you have the basic structure for a
simple presentation.

It also works for other numbers of course. You could choose 2 x 3 x 4
= 24, or whatever.

But as most things need a beginning, a middle and an end, 3 x 3 x 3 is
good.

Another good rule:
1) Tell 'em what you're going to say
2) Say it
3) Tell 'em what you've said.

That is
1) Give them an idea what to expect and what you intend to cover.
2) Talk about it.
3) Summarise what you've said.

As for the content, that should be easy.

--
Mikefule

It's my sport, not your cabaret, moron.
Old January 14th 09, 10:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
OneWheelJack

If you can. I'd also ride your unicycle a bit.

If your not confident with doing any tricks... just ride it to where
you begin your speech.

If a projecter is available... I'd deffinately go for showing them some
of the cool stuff that has been done on a unicyle... The frontflip, some
flatland, the 128 sidehop, hardcore muni, freestyle spins.

Just to really show it to them.

Good luck!

--
OneWheelJack
Old January 15th 09, 03:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unicaw89

Mikefule;1170446 wrote:
[...]

Good words of wisdom. One thing I had some difficulty with was my time
structure, we could all go on for days in the subject we like most. Make
sure you dont talk too much from a unicyclist prespective, avoid shop
talk(Using technical terms, sadly there is a good number of people who
dont know what a crank is when you are talking about unicycles)! For
visual aids as I mentioned In my PM I brought several unicycles with me.
I however did not ride a single one during my speech for a few reasons;
1. It can cause you to be winded making your next statements hard to
understand. 2. The actual riding can divert attention from the subject
matter. 3. Listeners aren't always the best at using the appropriate
filters and may be destracted from you sweating on your note cards ;-)

--
Unicaw89

0 9 T o r k e r f o r p r e s i d e n t !
CODY [/b]FREAKING* WILLIAMS
'[b]DIRTY BIRD VIDEO!!*' (http://www.vimeo.com/824231)
'PAINFUL UNI VID!!! ' (http://tinyurl.com/yundmf)
'RenegadeJuggling.com' (renegadejuggling.com)

Unicycle Speech dtecum Unicycling 3 January 12th 09 01:11 AM
Unicycle Speech munimutant Unicycling 0 January 10th 09 10:31 PM
Unicycle Speech SamGoodburn Unicycling 0 January 10th 09 10:29 PM
Freedom of speech Tom Carson Mountain Biking 14 October 6th 06 06:16 PM
Coward! MARTY BOY +61604550700 is an enemy of freedom of speech and hatesfreedom of speech - He wants to police, rule, and control newsgroupsand people like the perfect little jackbooted Nazi he is Wewepeeoncpd Australia 0 July 18th 05 10:52 PM