What do you wear when it starts getting cold?

Old November 24th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Connahhh

Default What do you wear when it starts getting cold?

Yesterday it was 25 degrees out. The last thing I wanted to do was go
out and unicycle, but at the same time, it was the only thing I wanted
to do. I'm sure you can relate!

When it gets cold, how do you guys suit up? I had sweatpants,
windbreaker pants, a sweatshirt and gloves on. That was about 45 minutes
of trials and SIF practice (both generate more heat than regular
riding). Do you guys layer? Heavy jackets for commuting? What?

--
Connahhh
Old November 24th 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
poofengle

25? That's the perfect weather for me. I love it cuz you don't overheat

I usually wear a hoodie if it's below 20. Sometimes if its snowing out
i'll bust out a hat, but generally I just wear my normal garb. I don't
commute on my uni, but if i were to do that I might wear a little more.
Usually I wear as little as possible so I don't constrict my movement.

If you're not used to cold then I'd wear more, but I generally go by
"less is more" because to me, not being able to move is alot worse than
a little cold

--
poofengle

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. But set a man on fire
and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
Old November 24th 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

poofengle;1137423 wrote:
25? That's the perfect weather for me. I love it cuz you don't overheat

I usually wear a hoodie if it's below 20. Sometimes if its snowing out
i'll bust out a hat, but generally I just wear my normal garb. I don't
commute on my uni, but if i were to do that I might wear a little more.
Usually I wear as little as possible so I don't constrict my movement.

If you're not used to cold then I'd wear more, but I generally go by
"less is more" because to me, not being able to move is alot worse than
a little cold

Right on the dot dude.

Well, my fingers freeze up if its like 30 or so, so i bust out a pair
of tight undergloves (the elasticy sorta knitted gloves things, that are
skin tight), and i put those under my 661 Nasty Gloves.

--
unibikeling

"-I'll learn the landing after I do the take off-"

'Sixsixone - Great gear for all riding!' (sixsixone.com)
'My Videos' (http://www.youtube.com/user/lardmcfatso)

Sprite Off Winner 08~
Old November 24th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Connahhh

It wasn't so much the cold as the wind. It was blowing hard and it just
creeps in everywhere.

--
Connahhh
Old November 24th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maestro8

Try to avoid cotton (like some sweatpants / shirts, most t-shirts) as it
doesn't keep you warm when it gets wet / sweaty. It's a bad idea, to
allow yourself to get sweaty in any fabric in cold weather, as it causes
your body to lose heat even faster.

'My favorite pants for riding in cold weather are my Cannondales'
(http://www.rei.com/product/772329)... they're like wearing a fleece
blanket around my legs. These pants breathe well enough that I don't
get sweaty while riding, but they don't let enough wind in to freeze my
n*ts off.

On top I'll wear a short sleeve jersey 'with arm warmers (also fleece)'
(http://www.rei.com/product/756400) and throw a windbreaker on top. The
key is having a couple thin layers so you can take one off and put it in
your pack if you need to.

If you haven't tried fleeced arm or leg warmers, and you've been cold
while riding, you need to get a pair now. Seriously.

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity. -- François-Marie Arouet de
Voltaire
Old November 25th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Michaelgoround

Right now it's a good temperature for uniing cause its anywhere from
34-65 degrees fahrenheit. My problem is when it gets to hot for
uncycling and I become a sweaty beast.

--
Michaelgoround
Old November 25th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
scott ttocs

When it drops below 20 I wear jeans rather than shorts. When it gets
down around 15 I will put on a light sweatshirt or a long-sleeve
tee-shirt. If it gets much colder (10) I just put aside the unicycle
until it warms up.

Of course, this is California and these temperatures are Celsius.

--
scott ttocs
Old November 25th 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dtecum

Long nylon pants, short sleeve shirt, fleece pullover, windbreaker
jacket, gloves and helmet. I really don't get cold.

--
dtecum

You can't always believe a word I say.
I wouldn't join a club that has me as a member.
Old November 25th 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

I wear pretty bad clothing for cold weather, but it gets the job done
for the most part.

Usually I wear a t shirt, hoody and jacket, then normal pants, and the
usual gloves and pads to keep me warm.

I have been trained in preparing for outdoors in the cold though and
generally you want to do is wear something light and wicking as a
baselayer. Long Johns, and long sleeve undershirts are generally good.
You can play around a bit in terms of weights of baselayers and
depending on how cold it is, you may not even need a mid layer. Then a
good soft shell is probably going to be all you need for most of the
winter. If you find it is really cold, then a good fleece in the middle
will do the trick. Unfortunately that is like a 400 dollar layering
system.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
Old November 25th 08, 03:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
IUni

I go back to my old MTB stuff. I used to ride to -30C and with
windchill much colder than that - not so much interested in that now.
Sunny, light wind, 0F is ok though.

Use layers!! Have a back up plan if you XC. Take a phone. Cotton - not
so good! If you going any distance away from a warm place, or risk
having to walk out, you will get really cold.

Any kind of ski/snowboard gear will probably work ok.

Bottom 1/2 - Cycle shorts, and today at ~10F just a pair of lycra pants
with fronts that have a windproof Goretex front. My 661 4x4's.

Thicker socks, but not too tight, and I use a really super thin pair,
then a medium weight wool pair.

When I used to MTB cycle with pedal cleats in cold weather, ie colder
the -20C or ~-10F, I would have a pair of neoprene overboots, and if
really cold I would use packing tape and tape the crushable type
handwarmer packs on my cycling shoes inside the overboots (the cold
still came through the cleats and the cut-outs in the bottom of the
overboots though).

For "cooler" weather, I would use a thin pair of fleece running
tights/pants under the lycra/goretex front pants.

Upper body - UnderArmour type under shirt, or similar, then a thin
wool or fleece, with a windbreak type jacket (goretex) that isn't too
baggy so that if I grab my seat, the jacket doesn't interfere.

Hands, right now the Bad Ass gloves are fine, but later maybe I'll wear
wrist guards with a gauntlet pair of snowboard/ski gloves (goretex with
liners).

I wear lyra/fleece headband, for my ears, under my helmet. If I think
I might lose a lot of head from my head, I use a "skull cap" similiar to
one under a football type helmet (ie UnderArmour brand or M.E.C brand,
super thin hat)

I noticed that the soles of my 5.10's were pretty hard today, and kind
of slick. I'm not sure how that is going to work out for colder
weather.

--
IUni