Pre-WW2 Czechoslovakia (I think) 'Bents (and other things)

Old October 17th 10, 05:14 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Default Pre-WW2 Czechoslovakia (I think) 'Bents (and other things)

I like the small wheel 'bents (in the first 58 seconds of the video).
Also note that there is a bike very much like what became the "standard"
SWB 'bent configuration in the US in the 1990's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdlpJqHxLxk.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old October 17th 10, 05:38 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in message
I like the small wheel 'bents (in the first 58 seconds of the video). Also
note that there is a bike very much like what became the "standard" SWB
'bent configuration in the US in the 1990's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdlpJqHxLxk.

Those small wheel recumbents have wheels that are too small. You will feel
every crack in the road with such wheels. However, note that the tires were
fat. That is to absorb road shock, but what does it do for road friction?

The RANS Tailwind was a superior recumbent design with 20" wheels. It is too
bad every one has fixed on larger size wheels. A small wheel will get you
around town just as well as a large wheel.

The video is interesting because it shows there is more than one way to
design and propel a bicycle. However, the world has settled on the safety
bicycle, an upright, for good reasons. The only thing wrong with the upright
is that it is not comfortable for long periods of time. Hence, the recumbent
bicycle.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old October 17th 10, 05:48 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

On 10/17/2010 11:38 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom Sherman wrote in message
I like the small wheel 'bents (in the first 58 seconds of the video). Also
note that there is a bike very much like what became the "standard" SWB
'bent configuration in the US in the 1990's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdlpJqHxLxk.

Those small wheel recumbents have wheels that are too small. You will feel
every crack in the road with such wheels. However, note that the tires were
fat. That is to absorb road shock, but what does it do for road friction?

For a given inflation pressure (and similar tire construction), a wider
tire will have LESS rolling resistance than a narrower tire, since the
casing deforms less at the contact patch.

The RANS Tailwind was a superior recumbent design with 20" wheels. It is too
bad every one has fixed on larger size wheels. A small wheel will get you
around town just as well as a large wheel.

The only significant problem with the RANS Tailwind/Wave is that it was
not suitable for taller riders.

The video is interesting because it shows there is more than one way to
design and propel a bicycle. However, the world has settled on the safety
bicycle, an upright, for good reasons. The only thing wrong with the upright
is that it is not comfortable for long periods of time. Hence, the recumbent
bicycle.

About 20 minutes or less at a time on an upright is fine for comfort.
Most commuting trips in places like Western Europe are that time or less.

Old October 17th 10, 08:24 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in message
On 10/17/2010 11:38 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom Sherman wrote in message
I like the small wheel 'bents (in the first 58 seconds of the video).
Also
note that there is a bike very much like what became the "standard" SWB
'bent configuration in the US in the 1990's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdlpJqHxLxk.

Those small wheel recumbents have wheels that are too small. You will
feel
every crack in the road with such wheels. However, note that the tires
were
fat. That is to absorb road shock, but what does it do for road friction?

For a given inflation pressure (and similar tire construction), a wider
tire will have LESS rolling resistance than a narrower tire, since the
casing deforms less at the contact patch.

Even so, does not a large wheel ride smoother than a small wheel? Also, do
you not get a flywheel effect from a larger wheel?

The RANS Tailwind was a superior recumbent design with 20" wheels. It is
too
bad every one has fixed on larger size wheels. A small wheel will get you
around town just as well as a large wheel.

The only significant problem with the RANS Tailwind/Wave is that it was
not suitable for taller riders.

I have an early version that does barely fit my 6 foot height.

The video is interesting because it shows there is more than one way to
design and propel a bicycle. However, the world has settled on the safety
bicycle, an upright, for good reasons. The only thing wrong with the
upright
is that it is not comfortable for long periods of time. Hence, the
recumbent
bicycle.

About 20 minutes or less at a time on an upright is fine for comfort. Most
commuting trips in places like Western Europe are that time or less.

Yes, I think you have got the timing exactly right.

Old October 17th 10, 08:37 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

On 10/17/2010 2:24 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]

All else being equal, which it is not with the small wheel using a wider
tire at a lower pressure (since the skinny large tire needs to be
inflated quite hard to reduce pinch flats).

Also, do
you not get a flywheel effect from a larger wheel?
[...]

Rotating inertia of a bicycle wheel is practically insignificant
compared to that of the whole bicycle and rider.

Try this experiment: Put the bicycle in a work stand or upside down, and
spin the rear wheel up very fast with the cranks. Wearing a HEAVY
leather glove, grab the wheel by the tire (being careful not to put your
fingers in the spokes) and see how easy it is to stop the wheel.
Alternatively, use the brake to stop the wheel, and see how fast it
stops. Now compare the stopping distance and time if you were riding at
an equivalent speed on a flat surface.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

czechoslovakia mountain biking schwerman Mountain Biking 16 March 11th 06 10:08 AM
Why are 'bents... Chris Smith UK 25 January 10th 06 11:27 AM
What are the USS SWB 'bents? [email protected] Recumbent Biking 4 March 31st 05 10:31 AM
Bents Oddcyclist Recumbent Biking 10 July 10th 04 05:26 PM