Shimano 6sp

Old November 3rd 11, 02:38 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Travis

Default Shimano 6sp

Is there more than one type of Shimano 6sp or is it all
intercompatible? I've heard that this was a standard class of cheap
Shimano groupsets and therefore that chains, chainrings, clusters etc
from one Shimano 6sp bike ought to work on any other one.

I want to take some bits off one old clunker MTB to fix another
clunker MTB and would like some assurance that this will work, that
I'm not going to find myself half way to uni with a broken chain or
toothless chainring or something because I'm using incompatible bits.

I took the bike for a round the block test ride and it seemed ok,
though a little noisy. I suspect I need to adjust the gears to deal
with the noise, but I want to be sure because if it breaks I get
stranded 20km from home...

Travis
Old November 4th 11, 12:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

On 4/11/2011 12:38 AM, Travis wrote:
Is there more than one type of Shimano 6sp or is it all
intercompatible? I've heard that this was a standard class of cheap
Shimano groupsets and therefore that chains, chainrings, clusters etc
from one Shimano 6sp bike ought to work on any other one.

I want to take some bits off one old clunker MTB to fix another
clunker MTB and would like some assurance that this will work, that
I'm not going to find myself half way to uni with a broken chain or
toothless chainring or something because I'm using incompatible bits.

I took the bike for a round the block test ride and it seemed ok,
though a little noisy. I suspect I need to adjust the gears to deal
with the noise, but I want to be sure because if it breaks I get
stranded 20km from home...

Travis

There are different widths in the chains. ie You can't use a standard
chain on a 9 speed cluster too wide to fit between the gears.
Old November 4th 11, 01:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Travis

On Nov 4, 7:41*am, Rob wrote:

There are different widths in the chains. *ie *You can't use a standard
chain on a 9 speed cluster too wide to fit between the gears.

Sure, but donor and receiver are both 6sp, so I should be ok?

Travis
Old November 4th 11, 01:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

Travis wrote:
On Nov 4, 7:41 am, Rob wrote:

There are different widths in the chains. ie You can't use a standard
chain on a 9 speed cluster too wide to fit between the gears.

Sure, but donor and receiver are both 6sp, so I should be ok?

IMO, the cluster and the chainwheel should be okay. The chain is the
more likely to give problem if it is from a third source rather than
worn into the chainwheel/cluster combination.

Have a good look at the cluster cogs for wear signs. also flip the bike
and closely watch chain/cog matching. If you see air, thenyou might have
problems under power.

All you cn really do is give it a go.
Old November 4th 11, 03:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Phil H[_2_]

What do you mean by "a little noisy"? Noisy on the shifts, or noisy
all the time?

Another point to bear in mind is that chains stretch, and sprockets
wear. A stretched chain might work quite well on its worn sprocket
mate, but not on another sprocket that is worn to a different degree.
The older the bike the more likely this is.

-- Phil
Old November 4th 11, 08:14 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

Travis wrote:

Is there more than one type of Shimano 6sp or is it all
intercompatible? I've heard that this was a standard class of cheap
Shimano groupsets and therefore that chains, chainrings, clusters etc
from one Shimano 6sp bike ought to work on any other one.

Sheldon Brown has these things well documented at:
http://sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html

He says that there are two standards for 6-speed sprocket
spacing, 5 mm and 5.5 mm. And two different chain widths to
match.

John
Old November 5th 11, 04:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Travis

On Nov 4, 10:21*am, Phil H wrote:
What do you mean by "a little noisy"? Noisy on the shifts, or noisy
all the time?

Another point to bear in mind is that chains stretch, and sprockets
wear. A stretched chain might work quite well on its worn sprocket
mate, but not on another sprocket that is worn to a different degree.
The older the bike the more likely this is.

-- Phil

All the time really.

This has become something of a moot point now anyway. I managed to
scrounge up a much better bike which I'll be riding from now on.

All of this was triggered by a 2 week old wheel on my crappy commuter
MTB breaking some (5!) spokes. I took it back to the LBS, who said
clearly it wasn't strong enough for the combined weight of me, my bike
and my panniers, and I'd need a stronger wheel which unfortunately
they couldn't supply because they weren't available with compatible
hubs or something. Rather than swapping it for another wheel that will
break just as quickly he gave me a refund.

Not wanting to be without a commuter bike for a while I took the rear
wheel off another old MTB I've had in the shed and fit that on.
Although I have a reasonably full set of bike tools, I didn't have an
appropriate tool for removing the cluster so I left the old one on
(which in truth looked less worn anyway). It seems to work ok but was
a bit rough and noisy. My biggest fear was that somehow something
might break and I be stuck half way to or from uni.

Anyway, turns out my brother has a rather nice hybrid which he wasn't
using and I've taken that and fitted my panniers and stuff to it. This
will do me for a while.

Travis