Evil Bus Companies

Old June 26th 04, 06:48 PM
Mark Thompson

Default Evil Bus Companies

My cunning justification for spending money on a bike was that I would save
on bus fares. But how depressing is it to find that a weekly pass for my
bus route now costs just TWO POUNDS A WEEK! Whatever happened to
inflation?!?

On the plus side my legs have got to the stage where female friends have
started commenting on them so maybe I've discovered a replacement
motivation.

The most important motivation (all the extra exercise enables me to eat
more pies, cakes, chocolate, ice cream etc) is of course still there so
I'll definately still be riding.

Mark.
Old June 26th 04, 07:36 PM
Dr Curious

"Mark Thompson" wrote in message
93.157...

My cunning justification for spending money on a bike was that I would

save
on bus fares. But how depressing is it to find that a weekly pass for my
bus route now costs just TWO POUNDS A WEEK! Whatever happened to
inflation?!?

snip

Mark.

Just treat yourself now and again, by cycling past the queues at
the bus stop. All those happy smiling faces.

Now you're on a bike, you may have found a quicker route, and so its
easy to forget.

Curious

Old June 27th 04, 10:52 AM
Soup

Soup popped his head over the parapet,saw what was going on and said

My cunning justification for spending money on a bike was that I
would save on bus fares. But how depressing is it to find that a
weekly pass for my bus route now costs just TWO POUNDS A WEEK!
Whatever happened to inflation?!?

Where do you live that a pass is only two pounds a week
around here it is (pass with the most discount) 98p a day.

--
Yours S. addy not usable (not that you would try it) ( )
Non plaudite. Modo pecuniam jacite / \

Old June 27th 04, 11:17 AM
Mark Thompson

Where do you live that a pass is only two pounds a week
around here it is (pass with the most discount) 98p a day.

Wilmslow/Oxford Road route into central Manchester. Buses every 30
seconds, run 'til at least 4am in the morning (well, that's the latest I've
caught a bus anyway) but I did have to wait a good fifteen minutes when I
used it.
Old June 27th 04, 01:05 PM
Soup

Soup popped his head over the parapet,saw what was going on and said

Buses every 30 seconds, run 'til at least 4am in the morning

Spoilt rotten. rofl

Old June 27th 04, 03:13 PM
audrey

On 27 Jun 2004 10:17:47 GMT, Mark Thompson
wrote:

Wilmslow/Oxford Road route into central Manchester. Buses every 30
seconds, run 'til at least 4am in the morning (well, that's the latest I've
caught a bus anyway) but I did have to wait a good fifteen minutes when I
used it.

mutter mutter bloomin buses for bloomin students how many bloomin
number 42 buses do they need and how long do I have to stand at this
bus stop till a bus that isn't going to Owen's Park comes along grr
mutter
--

email = audmad aaatttt hhhottt mmmaailll dddoottt ccccoommm
Old June 27th 04, 03:59 PM
[Not Responding]

On 26 Jun 2004 17:48:02 GMT, Mark Thompson
wrote:

My cunning justification for spending money on a bike was that I would save
on bus fares. But how depressing is it to find that a weekly pass for my
bus route now costs just TWO POUNDS A WEEK! Whatever happened to
inflation?!?

On the plus side my legs have got to the stage where female friends have
started commenting on them so maybe I've discovered a replacement
motivation.

The most important motivation (all the extra exercise enables me to eat
more pies, cakes, chocolate, ice cream etc) is of course still there so
I'll definately still be riding.

All I can say is that you have an outrageously cheap bus service.
Round here a month pass on one company alone is 46ukp (OK, it does
cover two cities and the bits in between). Day passes are 3.90 ukp or
5ukp for an all-companies day card.

I'm exceedingly jealous of your later post saying that buses run until
0400. In south hampshire we must be expected to have a lot of early
nights; the buses tend to dry up after 1830. I suppose I am in the
sticks a bit, though.

However, it's still cheap as chips compared to running a car.
Incidentally, since getting rid of the car in Feb, I'm better off to
the tune of 1,300 ukp. That's after I've shelled out for buses, taxis
and trains and includes all of 26 miles on a bike.

Doesn't include 330ukp for a new bike, though. Shopping logic means
that I have actually *saved* money by not buying a Thorn Raven (which
I'll get later, anyway) and, therefore, no real costs need be
reflected in the domestic accounts.
Old June 27th 04, 06:33 PM
Steph Peters

wrote:

My cunning justification for spending money on a bike was that I would save
on bus fares. But how depressing is it to find that a weekly pass for my
bus route now costs just TWO POUNDS A WEEK! Whatever happened to
inflation?!?

All I can say is that you have an outrageously cheap bus service.

And so do I, living on the same bus route. It is (allegedly) the most
frequent and most heavily used bus route in Western Europe.

I'm exceedingly jealous of your later post saying that buses run until
0400.

Actually I don't think they stop at all - I've caught one at 5 am to get an
early train.

Stick with the not sitting in queues and getting there faster motivations.
I'm one of the slowest cyclists ever, averaging under 10mph usually, but
even I can beat the bus into or out of Manchester from Didsbury. And today
even at 3pm on Sunday afternoon there was a half mile slow moving queue
leaving the city centre.
--
Fashion is what you adopt when you don't know who you are. Quentin Crisp
Steph Peters delete invalid from lid

Old June 27th 04, 06:45 PM
cookie

"Mark Thompson" wrote in message
93.157...
My cunning justification for spending money on a bike was that I would

save
on bus fares. But how depressing is it to find that a weekly pass for my
bus route now costs just TWO POUNDS A WEEK! Whatever happened to
inflation?!?

Mark.

Nothing to do with inflation, just deregulation and "fair" competition.

Along the Oxford/Wilmslow Road corridor, there is a plentiful market and
numerous companies, all competing with each other to increase market share.

Stagecoach, Magic Bus (ex-GM Stagecoach), R. Bullock's, Fingland's, U.K.
North all compete on the 42, and competition is healthy, resulting in lower
prices for the customer.

I think this is the only place in the UK where the "ideal" deregulated
market actually works. You can wait for a bus at 01:00am and four will turn
up (at the same time of course) to choose from.

Of course, it'd be far better if GM Buses was still running the show, they'd
be able to run non-stop from East Didsbury and make them all walk/cycle.

Charley

Old June 27th 04, 08:06 PM
Pete whelan

Mark Thompson wrote:
My cunning justification for spending money on a bike was that I would save
on bus fares. But how depressing is it to find that a weekly pass for my
bus route now costs just TWO POUNDS A WEEK! Whatever happened to
inflation?!?

Inflation is what you do to your bike tyres