What seats are everyone using?

Old July 21st 04, 03:59 AM
Peter S

Default What seats are everyone using?

"Richard Sherratt" wrote

I'm looking to replace my road bike seat and am wondering what will be
more comfortable that my current brick.
I'd love to know what seats are popular with the road riders.

Selle Italia Trans Am Max. A bit wider than the Flight. Just right for
those of us who are not built like Lance :-)

Stay away from gel anything. The gel transfers the pressure from where
it should be to the squishy bits. Not good for your sex life.

I spent ages deciding on a new saddle, finally decided to try the much
lauded Fizik Arione. Almost bought a Turbomatic 4, which I'd still like to
try to see if my 'other' choice would have suited me too. After the first
couple of rides I thought I'd blown my cash. Now after finally finding just
the right adjustment I love it. Initially I had it too far back, then the
front tilted a smidge too low. Mind you the other saddle was an entry level
Selle Italia Xo which i didn't like at all.

After reading Richards reply I'd like to try the Trans Am Max too - it
sounds nice!

I recently posted a question to this group about hill climbing technique and
got some great feedback. This has led me to train on more slopes and
gradients than previously. I conciously spend some time off the saddle
during a lot of rides now and this is probably all part of being able to do
a long ride without too much saddle soreness.

Good luck with your choice. It's still a matter of buying and trying unless
you've got a friend or belong to a group with bikes and saddles you can try.

Peter S

Old July 21st 04, 04:11 AM
BCL

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:49:07 +0930, "GDS" wrote:

I can only see the and not the original thread so I'll reply here...Rolls (san marco) and it's neigh on 8yrs
old...it's rooted! I need a new saddle! I'd buy a new Rolls if I could find one, I just haven't looked. I'm a cheap lazy
*******...if it works, don't fix it...lol. Gawd I'm cheap. My sore arse Vs $X0...idiot that I am.

I bought a Rolls from Phantom Cycles a few years ago, ideal service
for us lazy *******s it arrived by post the next day. Haven't checked
to see if they still sell them BUT I don't need another yet

http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/

Excellent saddle at a very reasonable price

Regards
Bruce

http://www.bcl.id.au
Old July 21st 04, 04:51 AM
byron27

Just received my brand new fizik arione in the post!
Only $120 through ebay. I will place lauded bottom supporter on my
pride and joy and report back ASAP.

--
byron27

Old July 21st 04, 07:35 AM
NickZX6R

flyingdutch wrote:
Peter S Wrote:

[...]

http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category32_1.htm

Sans Marco Rolls $69. Bargain!!!

pffft....that's not a bargain.

My San Marco Squadra for $6 was a bargain

ahhhh....Myer staff - is there anything they can't bugger up

--
Nick
Old July 21st 04, 08:37 AM
GDS

Thanks Bruce.

G.

Old July 21st 04, 01:14 PM
rayner

bfra1 Wrote:
I'm looking to replace my road bike seat and am wondering what will be
more comfortable that my current brick.
I'd love to know what seats are popular with the road riders.

Selle Italia Tri matic 2 for the road and some velo thing for the
track. Selle Italia, Fizzik, Selle san marco would all be good saddles,
most others arent worth wasting your money

--
rayner
Old July 22nd 04, 04:40 AM
Peter Vesel

"rayner" wrote in message

bfra1 Wrote:
I'm looking to replace my road bike seat and am wondering what will be
more comfortable that my current brick.
I'd love to know what seats are popular with the road riders.

Selle Italia Tri matic 2 for the road and some velo thing for the
track. Selle Italia, Fizzik, Selle san marco would all be good saddles,
most others arent worth wasting your money

--
rayner

Flite TT (titanium tubular rails). It was the perfect (flite) shape but a
bit hard at first.After a couple of rides it's fine. When I put a flite gel
saddle on my training bike I found it way to soft.

Peter
(ps anybody want to buy a flite gel saddle?..almost new)

Old July 22nd 04, 10:17 AM
hippy

"Peter Vesel"
(ps anybody want to buy a flite gel saddle?..almost new)

What colour?
How much?

hippy

Old July 22nd 04, 01:12 PM
Geoff

"flyingdutch" wrote in
message ...

BG Wrote:
mine is an oldy off a track bike
Black plastic , made in italy.......
Im so use to it now i cant ride anything else....& its light to.....
My son took my original one , a velo as he refused to use the plastic
one
that came with his Swannee track bike so to prove its as good as any i
used
it ...got used to it after a while......I will get the brand tonight
not
that anybody is going to rush out & find one

Selle San Marco rolls 2 Saddle

keep going back to it but am due to try something new

was eyeing off Geoff's saddle, selle sleek, light looking thing
altho maybe a carbon seatpost might give me mre benefit as my bum likes
my saddle...

--
flyingdutch

Hmmm, eying off my saddle... As long as that was all you were doing.

It's a Selle Italia SLR Carbon with Ti Rails. Next to no padding and really
comfy. It's never given me any chafe which is a pleasant change from the
previously mounted Selle Italia Trimatic2 Gel. The Trimatic will probably
be the last Gel saddle I will ever own. I have never had as many cases of
chafe as I did with this one. Previous to this Gel Trimatic2 I had a
Non-gel Trimatic2. This one was not too bad at all and is still in service,
mounted on my track bike (Until I get hold of an SLR for that too) . I also
have ridden a Selle Italia XO, a fairly narrow saddle similar in shape to
the SLR, and found it to be quite a good saddle for its price point.

It doesn't hurt to experiment with other shapes of saddle to see if there's
something that fits better. But if your bum likes the Rolls then stick with
it. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Geoff

Old July 23rd 04, 05:40 AM
Nick Payne

bfra1 wrote:
I'm looking to replace my road bike seat and am wondering what will be
more comfortable that my current brick.
I'd love to know what seats are popular with the road riders.

Brooks.