Live Tour Coverage - Tonight at 11.25pm

Old July 21st 04, 11:59 AM
adam

Default Live Tour Coverage - Tonight at 11.25pm

"byron27" wrote in message

taken by itself its not so bad (so bad, relative, to say, getting your
fingernails pulled out with electric pliers). The Alpe is a
heartbreaker because it is usually the last climb of a stage, after
climbing the galabier and the madeleine. That said, the first two
switchbacks are nasty, nasty but its not too bad after that. The
switchbacks are great to get a rest for a couple of secs and because it
is back and forth up the mountain the visual impact is not so
terrifying.I was quite surprised. I had more trouble getting up to
chamrousse just outside of grenoble (used for the ITT in 2001) than the
alpe.
[snip]
byron27

I saw a ITT in Grenoble in September up to the Fort de la Bastille,
called Prix de la Bastille. This is the hill where the bubble cable cars,
(the telegraphique I think it's called), goes.Very short maybe 3km but
average gradient 20% with some really nasty switchback up to 28%.
You could hardly walk up it. Seemed like a small club race but plenty
of big names from the past holding records - Armstrong, Ulrich etc.
A funny sight was watching all the fast french guys light up a smoke as
soon as they'd crossed the line at the top!

Adam

Old July 21st 04, 01:10 PM
DRS

"stu" wrote in message
Graident is up, up , up all the way isn't it?

who would have thought it would be so hard to find a real map???
well it is, so this is the best I can do

I found these:

gradient profile:
http://www.letour.fr/2004/us/profil....0&Language=ANG
TdF map overview: http://www.beyond.fr/map/mptdf2004.html
TdF map detail (stages 15-18): http://www.beyond.fr/map/mptdf03e.html

I couldn't find a detailed map of the actual route. From the SBS web site:

"This Time Trial up the famous L'Alpe d'Huez (Hors Categorie) starts with a
flat 1.7km stretch but then it's the 13.8km climb at an average grade of 7.8
percent, with 21 switchbacks to the summit."

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 21st 04, 02:42 PM
cfsmtb

Apparentely there is approx 1 000 000 spectators up on the L'Alpe
d'Huez!

Bikesoiler, whilst sitting on lounge, has informed me that's almost the
equivalent of 10 x MCG's plonked up on the slopes of Mt Buller. Hmm,
whats the actual capacity of 'G there days?

Happy viewing.

--
cfsmtb

Old July 21st 04, 03:52 PM
stu

Hmm,
whats the actual capacity of 'G there days?

its about 80000 at the minute
but when its finished again in late 2005 will be 95000(i think)

Old July 21st 04, 11:51 PM
rickster

WHibyron27 wrote in message ...
taken by itself its not so bad (so bad, relative, to say, getting your
fingernails pulled out with electric pliers). The Alpe is a
heartbreaker because it is usually the last climb of a stage, after
climbing the galabier and the madeleine. That said, the first two
switchbacks are nasty, nasty but its not too bad after that. The
switchbacks are great to get a rest for a couple of secs and because it
is back and forth up the mountain the visual impact is not so
terrifying.I was quite surprised. I had more trouble getting up to
chamrousse just outside of grenoble (used for the ITT in 2001) than the
alpe.

Ventoux is like that. No switchbacks and a clear view to the
top....great .

Anyone have any times for their ride up the alpe?
I did 51 minutes in 2001, and it was the best fun ive had for ages. So
was riding back down!!

Which would put you on about the same time as Matthew Wilson. Either
you're a couldvebeen pro, a pro, a phenomenol climber or your clock
was wrong !!
Old July 21st 04, 11:55 PM
rickster

byron27 wrote in message ...
[...]

Actually scrath what I just posted. I'd cancel the post but I use
crappy Google and once posted, is gone.

Still 51 min is very impressive, you probabably timed it from the
bottom ? Where as the tour stage started from a bit further back ?

Out of curisoiyt, how much time did you spend out of the saddle ?
Old July 22nd 04, 12:08 AM
flyingdutch

stu Wrote:

Hmm,
whats the actual capacity of 'G there days?

its about 80000 at the minute
but when its finished again in late 2005 will be 95000(i think)

bring back the standing area in the outer!!!

110k back in the 70's
before such trifling things as political correctness and safety issues
were uinvented

--
flyingdutch

Old July 22nd 04, 12:50 AM
jazmo

A couple of things I noticed about last night:

1. The crowds. While I loved the atmosphere of yesterday's time trial,
I think it was a tad dangerous for the riders who have so much at
stake. Did you see Jan Ullrich get knocked on his hip by a spectator?
There were some crazy spectators there. I basically agreed with Lance
Armstrongs carefully selected words after the stage.

2. Motorbikes and exhaust fumes. Wouldn't those motorbikes give the
riders the sh|ts. I know on my commute to work while riding the Yarra
Blvd when a car goes past it's slightly irritating having to suck up
the fumes. Imagine having motorbike(s) or cars in front of you the
whole time? Parhaps they're finely tuned and have low emissions.

--
jazmo

Old July 22nd 04, 03:50 AM
stu

bring back the standing area in the outer!!!

110k back in the 70's
before such trifling things as political correctness and safety issues
were uinvented

I thought the record was 118k

but from the mcc web site

As well as a world record for the most people to ever attend a baseball

match during the 1956 Games, the VFL/AFL Grand Final record attendance was
an amazing 121,000 people for the 1970 decider between Carlton and
Collingwood.

Its present capacity has been reduced as works take place to demolish and

completely rebuild the Ponsford, members and northern stands, but once the
redevelopment is complete it will boast a seating capacity in excess of
100,000.
but I have seen other figures of 95k or things like "almost 100k", so who is
up for helping me count them in early 2006???

Old July 22nd 04, 04:17 AM
flyingdutch

stu Wrote:

As well as a world record for the most people to ever attend a

baseball

match during the 1956 Games, the VFL/AFL Grand Final record attendance
was
an amazing 121,000 people for the 1970 decider between Carlton and
Collingwood.

Its present capacity has been reduced as works take place to demolish

and
completely rebuild the Ponsford, members and northern stands, but once
the
redevelopment is complete it will boast a seating capacity in excess
of
100,000.
but I have seen other figures of 95k or things like "almost 100k", so
who is
up for helping me count them in early 2006???
[/color]

more to the point, how much is 'dinkyDi' gonna cost???

I am a MCC member (got 2 actually :-) but only go there at half
time/lunch to get drinks and food as the queues are non-existant and
prices are lower than amongst the 'unwashed' Bays

--
flyingdutch