Nexus 7-speed problem

Old November 11th 05, 07:45 PM
David L. Johnson

Default Nexus 7-speed problem

I recently put a Shimano Nexus 7-speed hub on an old bike I'm using for a
winter commuter, and am having trouble with it.

It seems to have a tendency for the shifter cable mechanism next to the
sprocket to rotate (opposite to the wheel rotation), which then ruins the
cable adjustment and I then have lost gears and uneven operation. I have
to remove the wheel and rotate it back into place, then re-adjust the
cable. It's on the fritz now after one moderately energetic ride of only
5-10 miles. I am not using the roller brake, and it has been removed.

The little hook-end washer is still engaged; it doesn't rotate, so I
assume that the axle doesn't rotate. The nuts are quite tight. The frame
is an old Italian road bike with horizontal dropouts.

Anyone else have this problem, or a suggested fix? I'm on the verge of
ripping it out and converting the bike to either a fixed gear or
single-speed.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about extremists is
_`\(,_ | not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant.
(_)/ (_) | --Robert F. Kennedy

Old November 11th 05, 09:01 PM
m-gineering

"David L. Johnson" wrote:

I recently put a Shimano Nexus 7-speed hub on an old bike I'm using for a
winter commuter, and am having trouble with it.

It seems to have a tendency for the shifter cable mechanism next to the
sprocket to rotate (opposite to the wheel rotation), which then ruins the
cable adjustment and I then have lost gears and uneven operation. I have
to remove the wheel and rotate it back into place,

there should be a special ring to lock it in place

then re-adjust the
cable.

? It shouldn't affect adjustment, if the outer doesn't get shorter and
the cableclamp doesn't slip

It's on the fritz now after one moderately energetic ride of only
5-10 miles. I am not using the roller brake, and it has been removed.

The little hook-end washer is still engaged; it doesn't rotate, so I
assume that the axle doesn't rotate.

Why the singular: there should be two, one on each side to support the
axle!

The nuts are quite tight. The frame
is an old Italian road bike with horizontal dropouts.

Anyone else have this problem, or a suggested fix? I'm on the verge of
ripping it out and converting the bike to either a fixed gear

always a good idea

or
single-speed.

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old November 11th 05, 09:39 PM
maxo

It does sound like the axle is rotating, but if you're absolutely
certain that it's not, the only thing I can think of is to make
absolutely sure that the cable is routed properly from the cable stop
to the hub. From what I remember, it's possible to get it "in the wrong
notch" and have it do funny stuff. Been a while since I messed with
one, so can't be more specific. Do you have documentation for it? I'd
study the diagram and make sure of the routing. Sounds silly, but it's
made me scratch my head before.

I miss my Nexus bike dearly and had zero problems with it. Short of
adjusting the cable for stretch every few months--you shouldn't have to
think about it.

Hope you got the nice 7spd thumb shifter for it, as it's much nicer
than the grip (echh) shifter that the 8spd has.

Old November 12th 05, 01:55 AM
David L. Johnson

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 22:01:00 +0100, m-gineering wrote:

"David L. Johnson" wrote:

I recently put a Shimano Nexus 7-speed hub on an old bike I'm using for a
winter commuter, and am having trouble with it.

It seems to have a tendency for the shifter cable mechanism next to the
sprocket to rotate (opposite to the wheel rotation), which then ruins the
cable adjustment and I then have lost gears and uneven operation. I have
to remove the wheel and rotate it back into place,

there should be a special ring to lock it in place

Locked in place. The whole assembly is rotating.

It's on the fritz now after one moderately energetic ride of only
5-10 miles. I am not using the roller brake, and it has been removed.

The little hook-end washer is still engaged; it doesn't rotate, so I
assume that the axle doesn't rotate.

Why the singular: there should be two, one on each side to support the
axle!

Mine only had one. The left side was a standard lock-washer.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of
_`\(,_ | business.
(_)/ (_) |

Old November 12th 05, 01:57 AM
David L. Johnson

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 13:39:05 -0800, maxo wrote:

It does sound like the axle is rotating, but if you're absolutely
certain that it's not, the only thing I can think of is to make
absolutely sure that the cable is routed properly from the cable stop
to the hub. From what I remember, it's possible to get it "in the wrong
notch" and have it do funny stuff. Been a while since I messed with
one, so can't be more specific. Do you have documentation for it?

No. Got it at a swap meet,. though it was new.

I'd
study the diagram and make sure of the routing. Sounds silly, but it's
made me scratch my head before.

will check that out.

I miss my Nexus bike dearly and had zero problems with it. Short of
adjusting the cable for stretch every few months--you shouldn't have to
think about it.

Hmm, not my experience so far.

Hope you got the nice 7spd thumb shifter for it, as it's much nicer
than the grip (echh) shifter that the 8spd has.

Yes, I have the thumb shifter.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.
_`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
(_)/ (_) |

Old November 12th 05, 10:27 AM
PK

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message
news

[...]

I have a nexus 7sp hub with a back peddle brake . The hub has a reaction arm
to stop it rotating .
I assume the roller brake has this arm so if you refit the brake and use
this arm the hub canot rotate . It's a while since I had a look at my hub so
I can't understand why yours is rotating without the roller brake but
refitting the brake assembly is worth a try.

PK

Old November 12th 05, 11:29 AM
m-gineering

"David L. Johnson" wrote:

[...]

Sorry, my bad: 8's have 2, 4's have two, but 7 makes do with one.

Is the rh locknut on the axle tight?

--
---