Campagnolo components and the Tour...

Old July 6th 05, 07:29 AM
Antti Salonen

Default Campagnolo components and the Tour...

wrote:

Seems like I remember hearing that the ratio of
bikes sold through bike shops with Shimano or Campy components is
something like 80/20 or so. Has that been changing recently, or do pro
racers just prefer Campagnolo?

I don't think the ratio is 80/20 in Europe, where a vast majority of
top-level pro teams are. Over here (Finland) it's more like 50/50, and
I guess more central Europe should be about the same.

-as
Old July 6th 05, 08:00 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article om,
"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote:

wrote:
I noticed in the Velo News Tour supplement that 12 of the 21 teams are
using Campy components. Seems like I remember hearing that the ratio of
bikes sold through bike shops with Shimano or Campy components is
something like 80/20 or so. Has that been changing recently, or do pro
racers just prefer Campagnolo?

The major tours are always about 50-50. It is in terms of sponsorship,
not anything that is reflected in sales. How's Chevy doin in the US?
Not well altho most Nascars are 'Chevy' labeled.

GM's (and thus Chevy's) problems aren't volume-related, they're
incentive-related, which is to say that they sell lots of cars, but have
to give overly fat rebates on them. The other part of the problem is
they spend a lot of money on employee benefits, but boo-hoo, they
shouldn't have negotiated them then.

Also, yes, they've spent a long time making terrible cars, sort of going
through a bit of a pre-Ergopower phase. I mean, if you have to
essentially pay people extra to buy your cars, that's a bad sign.

Most bicycles in the US that start as frames in bike shops are equipped
with Campagnolo in the US. Campagnolo, on the other hand, can't seem to
get their arms around OEM. Of the bicycles we sell, about 95% are
Campagnolo.

And of course, you may be the most Campy-oriented vendor in the country!
It bears mentioning. The usual understanding is that Shimano makes OEMs
offers they can't refuse. Shimano also sells deeply into the crap-bike
markets, in territory where even their nasty stamped-steel Tourney may
be the best thing about a cruddy bike. These bikes surely make for lousy
margins, but I suspect they make it up in volume.

Campagnolo is doing very well, shimano is seeing some erosion in their
sales at the hands of Sram(MTB stuff). Bicycle sales for the first time
saw road bike percentage the same as 26inch MTB sales.

SRAM is also making tentative probes into the road market. You have to
believe a complete road group is coming; all they really need to create
are some road brifters.

Full disclosu my shifters of choice are Campy Veloce 9v, moving an
old Veloce 9v rder and Ultegra fder; brakes, cassette, BB and cranks are
Shimano: RX100, Ultegra, and Dura-Ace. It works great.

-RjC.

--
Ryan Cousineau
http://www.wiredcola.com/
Old July 6th 05, 08:10 AM
Kovie

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
ps.com...

wrote:
[...]

I don't regularly read other road cycling magazines but have subscribed to
Bicycling on and off over the years, and have always been struck by how
80-90% of the time, they feature Shimano-equipped road bikes on their covers
and article photos. Does this reflect the reality that most new road biked
sold are Shimano-equipped, is it an implicit editorial bias, or are they
simply trying to please the more important advertiser? It just seems
peculiar to me.

It also seems peculiar that Campy is rarely seen on brand-name bikes, as you
said (and as I've seen myself by looking at road bikes on display at local
bike shops). Given that there are currently only 2 companies that make full
gruppos, either Campy doesn't have a clue as to how to negotiate with bike
makers, or this almost seems worthy of anti-trust inquiry.

Any bike industry "Deep Throats" out there? ;-)

--
Kovie
zen

Old July 6th 05, 10:40 AM
RNK

In the US the 80/20 Shimano/Campagnolo split for new bikes is more
likely 95/5. But in Europe, where almost all professional bike
racing occurs, it is likely very different. Someone from Europe
would have to give an estimate of the split. By reading the various
British cycling magazines I get the perception Campagnolo is very
common in Europe, unlike the US.

All the new bikes I've checked out in the shops lately had Shimano.
Campy was on special order only, and only possible in the most expensive
versions. Actually, most LBSs here (Netherlands) make a long face if you
say the word "Campagnolo".

Robin.
Old July 6th 05, 10:54 AM
Lou Holtman

"RNK" wrote in message
In the US the 80/20 Shimano/Campagnolo split for new bikes is more
likely 95/5. But in Europe, where almost all professional bike
racing occurs, it is likely very different. Someone from Europe
would have to give an estimate of the split. By reading the various
British cycling magazines I get the perception Campagnolo is very
common in Europe, unlike the US.

All the new bikes I've checked out in the shops lately had Shimano.
Campy was on special order only, and only possible in the most expensive
versions. Actually, most LBSs here (Netherlands) make a long face if you
say the word "Campagnolo".

You must be going to the wrong LBS. Around here (also Netherlands) the LBSs
love to sell Campy equipped bikes and not only the most expensive versions.
Check out the Jan Janssen website ( www. janjanssen.nl) for example.

Lou

Old July 6th 05, 11:57 AM
RNK

I've checked three local LBSs and they were all the same (Enschede).

Must be the province

BTW I'm a happy Campy rider

Robin

Old July 6th 05, 11:59 AM
RNK

BTW, I've been looking at the Jan Janssen site.. I really like the
Vuelta and that configurator thingy. Might become my first real road
bike..! When I have the money.

Robin

Old July 6th 05, 01:54 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
Most bicycles in the US that start as frames in bike shops are
equipped with Campagnolo in the US. Campagnolo, on the other hand,
can't seem to get their arms around OEM. Of the bicycles we sell,
about 95% are Campagnolo.

I really am wondering when I ask this of you... I'm not trying to insult you
at all. But how many of the bikes do you sell with square-taper (probably
quite a few with Campy) bottom brackets or threaded stems?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Ya gotta go a lot farther to insult me but...a few threaded stems, from
Mondonico and Torelli, steel forks. Of the Campagnolo bikes, most are
Campagnolo cranks and BBs. Some with FSA aluminum or carbon compact.
All have wheels built by us, no wheels out of boxes on the bikes we
sell. Rims by Velocity or Mavic, DT spokes, designed by us for the
rider's needs.

Old July 6th 05, 01:59 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Donald Gillies wrote:
"Qui si parla Campagnolo" writes:

Most bicycles in the US that start as frames in bike shops are equipped
with Campagnolo in the US. Campagnolo, on the other hand, can't seem to
get their arms around OEM. Of the bicycles we sell, about 95% are
Campagnolo.

Good point, peter. What major (non-italian) OEM label is using
campagnolo today ?? Just a few years ago it was LeMond, but even that
label has gone full shimangalo as the "Big T" bicycle company seems to
have gone single-source for all its bicycling components.

Bianchi has some as do some of the others. Specialized and Giant. They
are 'options' but most bike shops that sell high volume can't even
spell campagnolo.

I never thought that "Big T" - the mother of the mongrel bike - would
go single-source. I guess that's what monopolization does ... I
guess the word "mono" prefixes both monopolization and monoculture ...

Since road bike unit sales are increasing quickly,

http://nbda.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=34

Campy will need to get off their butts soon, or they really will cede
the road bike market to Shimano once and for all ...

Not sure they really care. They say they sell all they make, and are
growing. I think in a lot of ways they are like car makers like Porsche
or Audi. Not really interested in selling 'to the masses'. They are
content as a high end maker, that has some lower end stuff. As opposed
to a mass maker, like Toyota, that has some high end stuff. Samo for a
lot of high end stuff, Rolex, Ducati, from golf clubs to tennis rackets
to whatever.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA