chain, chain ring

Old April 23rd 05, 11:42 PM
grig

Default chain, chain ring

newb question...

when you replace the chain, I understand that it's best
to replace your chain ring as well. Do you also replace
the cassette too? Just curious. The cassette looks pretty
durable compared to the lighter alloy chain rings.

Old April 24th 05, 12:16 AM

Grig who? writes:

when you replace the chain, I understand that it's best to replace
your chain ring as well. Do you also replace the cassette too?
Just curious. The cassette looks pretty durable compared to the
lighter alloy chain rings.

Don't believe such rumors. Maybe the message got to you somewhat
garbled but at times you MUST change worn rear sprockets because the
chain will skip under load and not drive the bicycle. Don't change
what works and if you replace the chain in time when it becomes worn
enough, you can ride a road bicycle chainwheel 50K-100K miles.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html

Old April 24th 05, 12:20 AM
JeffWills

grig wrote:
newb question...

when you replace the chain, I understand that it's best
to replace your chain ring as well. Do you also replace
the cassette too? Just curious. The cassette looks pretty
durable compared to the lighter alloy chain rings.

You've got that backwards. The cassette wears out faster, since it has
far fewer teeth.

My cassettes last through 4 or 5 chains before they need replacing.
Others will have different replacement intervals.

Jeff

Old April 24th 05, 01:03 AM
grig

Don't believe such rumors. Maybe the message got to you somewhat
garbled but at times you MUST change worn rear sprockets because the
chain will skip under load and not drive the bicycle. Don't change
what works and if you replace the chain in time when it becomes worn
enough, you can ride a road bicycle chainwheel 50K-100K miles.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html

appreciate the link. good info.
Old April 24th 05, 01:07 AM
grig

You've got that backwards. The cassette wears out faster, since it has
far fewer teeth.

My cassettes last through 4 or 5 chains before they need replacing.
Others will have different replacement intervals.

Jeff

thanx for the correction. I've got approx. a 1000 miles on my
Bike now. Was just wondering what I may need to "budget" down
the road. I do follow a regular cleaning and lube schedule for
my ride. So no issues with preventative maintenance.

Old April 24th 05, 03:56 AM

Jeff Wills writes:

when you replace the chain, I understand that it's best to replace
your chain ring as well. Do you also replace the cassette too?
Just curious. The cassette looks pretty durable compared to the
lighter alloy chain rings.

You've got that backwards. The cassette wears out faster, since it
has far fewer teeth.

Well, not entirely, but the small diameter and that it is the driven
sprockets that engage the chain with a light spring load that causes
the chain to skip (not engage). In contrast the chain is forcefully
engaged on the driving sprocket (with high tension) of we have had
pictures of worn aluminum sprocket teeth on this forum that would
never work on a driven sprocket.

I think Carl Fogel has some pictures on his web site. At least I
recall sending him a picture of a still usable ancient chainwheel.

My cassettes last through 4 or 5 chains before they need replacing.
Others will have different replacement intervals.

Yes, that depends on how worn the chain is when it gets changed out.

Old April 24th 05, 04:31 AM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:28:06 -0600,
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:56:32 GMT,
wrote:

Jeff Wills writes:

[...]

Dear Jobst,

Your well-cared-for and still usable ancient chainwheel:

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/zzz_006.jpg

My less ancient but embarrassingly unusable chainwheel:

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/

Carl Fogel

Aaargh! More sleep, maybe even proofreading, or perhaps a
firmer click on the cut-and paste:

My less ancient but embarrassingly unusable chainwheel:

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/d.../wornteeth.jpg

Clar Foegl
Old April 24th 05, 04:39 AM

Carl Fogel writes:

Your well-cared-for and still usable ancient chainwheel:

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/zzz_006.jpg

My less ancient but embarrassingly unusable chainwheel:

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/

Thanks for the directory. That helps a lot. However, where is the
picture of your toothless chainwheel?

Old April 24th 05, 05:04 AM

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 03:39:18 GMT,
wrote:

Carl Fogel writes:

Your well-cared-for and still usable ancient chainwheel:

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/zzz_006.jpg

My less ancient but embarrassingly unusable chainwheel:

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/

Thanks for the directory. That helps a lot. However, where is the
picture of your toothless chainwheel?

Dear Jobst,

Aaargh! More sleep, maybe even proofreading, or perhaps a
firmer click on the cut-and paste:

My less ancient but embarrassingly unusable chainwheel:

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/d.../wornteeth.jpg

It shows up now in the "directory"--which is a Potemkin
village fraud that conceals a things and needed updating.

Clar Foegl

Spontaneous chain ring shifts?? TomYoung Techniques 5 April 11th 05 08:16 PM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Sora chain ring "dropping off" going from large to small ring? Yuri Budilov Techniques 18 September 7th 04 03:14 PM
Chain Skips Over Middle Ring Problem buck Techniques 9 August 14th 04 08:18 PM