bigger lawyer lips on the way?

Old November 3rd 05, 11:48 PM
Fritz M

Default bigger lawyer lips on the way?

A mom in West Virginia is suing Wal-Mart for selling defective bikes.
The defect? Quick release front wheels. More info at
http://www.shokbikes.org/

Sue Wal-Mart for improper assembly or lack of instruction, but to sue
them for providing a useful feature is a bad move, IMO.

RFM
http://www.cyclelicio.us/

Old November 4th 05, 02:38 AM
David L. Johnson

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 15:48:49 -0800, Fritz M wrote:

A mom in West Virginia is suing Wal-Mart for selling defective bikes.
The defect? Quick release front wheels. More info at
http://www.shokbikes.org/

This article makes it seem as if _any_ bike with QR's is dangerous. OTOH,
it's hard to see any advantage for a bicycle-shaped-toy to have QRs on it,
anyway.

But this claim that the kid was JRA when the wheel fell off is absurd.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve
_`\(,_ | death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to
(_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
-- J. R. R. Tolkein

Old November 4th 05, 05:49 AM
Michael Press

In article ,
"David L. Johnson" wrote:

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 15:48:49 -0800, Fritz M wrote:

A mom in West Virginia is suing Wal-Mart for selling defective bikes.
The defect? Quick release front wheels. More info at
http://www.shokbikes.org/

This article makes it seem as if _any_ bike with QR's is dangerous. OTOH,
it's hard to see any advantage for a bicycle-shaped-toy to have QRs on it,
anyway.

But this claim that the kid was JRA when the wheel fell off is absurd.

Probably disc brake ejection.

--
Michael Press
The rest of the world.
Old November 4th 05, 05:54 AM
Llatikcuf

David L. Johnson wrote:
On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 15:48:49 -0800, Fritz M wrote:

A mom in West Virginia is suing Wal-Mart for selling defective bikes.
The defect? Quick release front wheels. More info at
http://www.shokbikes.org/

This article makes it seem as if _any_ bike with QR's is dangerous. OTOH,
it's hard to see any advantage for a bicycle-shaped-toy to have QRs on it,
anyway.

But this claim that the kid was JRA when the wheel fell off is absurd.

I don't know, I've seen people tighten down quick-releases by using the
lever as leverage to screw it down -- like a wrench handle, they had no
idea you had to close it to tighten it down! And these were adults!!

-Nate

Old November 4th 05, 03:22 PM
mark

"Llatikcuf" wrote
I don't know, I've seen people tighten down quick-releases by using the
lever as leverage to screw it down -- like a wrench handle, they had no
idea you had to close it to tighten it down! And these were adults!!

-Nate

I remember my father (college educated, reasonably high paying government
job) trying to do that to my Peugeot PX-10. I've also seen bikes sold by
stores other than LBSs with the quick-release tightened down that way. A
quick release isn't completely self-explanatory, especially now that the
lawyer lips force you to loosen the adjusting barrel to get it out of the
front dropouts.
--
mark

Old November 10th 05, 01:51 PM
SriBikeJi

I don't know, I've seen people tighten down quick-releases by using the
lever as leverage to screw it down -- like a wrench handle, they had no
idea you had to close it to tighten it down! And these were adults!!

Me too. I was even on a mountain bike ride once where a bike near me
was making noises - turned out the wheel wasn't even tightened. The
fellow was counting on the lips to hold it on. Another reason to file
them off.
Old November 4th 05, 06:43 AM
damyth

David L. Johnson wrote:
On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 15:48:49 -0800, Fritz M wrote:

A mom in West Virginia is suing Wal-Mart for selling defective bikes.
The defect? Quick release front wheels. More info at
http://www.shokbikes.org/

This article makes it seem as if _any_ bike with QR's is dangerous. OTOH,
it's hard to see any advantage for a bicycle-shaped-toy to have QRs on it,
anyway.

But this claim that the kid was JRA when the wheel fell off is absurd.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve
_`\(,_ | death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to
(_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
-- J. R. R. Tolkein

Sigh.... Yeah, I too question the wisdom of Wal-Mart selling bikes with
QR's. Too many clueless parents who don't know any better (and their
correspondingly clueless kids) and who don't grok the concept of
personal responsibility.

This has to rank up there with the McDonald's hot scalding coffee on
lap lawsuit.

Old November 4th 05, 07:33 AM
Hank Wirtz

"damyth" wrote in
ups.com:

This has to rank up there with the McDonald's hot scalding coffee on
lap lawsuit.

Which, when you look at it in any depth, was an entirely valid lawsuit.

http://caoc.com/CA/index.cfm?event=showPage&pg=facts

But yeah, Wal-Mart has no business selling bikes with QR wheels.

Hank
Old November 4th 05, 01:27 PM
Paul Cassel

Hank Wirtz wrote:

Which, when you look at it in any depth, was an entirely valid lawsuit.

http://caoc.com/CA/index.cfm?event=showPage&pg=facts

But yeah, Wal-Mart has no business selling bikes with QR wheels.

No it wasn't valid in any sense aside from some plaintiff bar attorneys
wanting to defend what isn't defensible.

Just because a bunch of parasitic lawyers say something is justified
doesn't make it so.
Old November 4th 05, 01:44 PM
Hank Wirtz

Paul Cassel wrote in news:s7ydnd7aUMw2_PbeRVn-
:

Hank Wirtz wrote:

Which, when you look at it in any depth, was an entirely valid lawsuit.

http://caoc.com/CA/index.cfm?event=showPage&pg=facts

But yeah, Wal-Mart has no business selling bikes with QR wheels.

No it wasn't valid in any sense aside from some plaintiff bar attorneys
wanting to defend what isn't defensible.

Just because a bunch of parasitic lawyers say something is justified
doesn't make it so.

Huh? Serving something that can cause THIRD degree burns from a drive-
through window isn't reckless? Continuing to do so after HUNDREDS of out-
of-court settlements for other people with second and third degree burns
borders on criminal negligence.

And, yeah, Wal-Mart shouldn't sell QR wheels.