Getting colder...

Old May 10th 06, 02:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Getting colder...

Bleve wrote:
Parbs wrote:
Tamyka Bell wrote:
There are MTB socks and roadie socks? Gee, where do you get them? I'm
guessing not at Kmart...

It's easy to tell the difference; roadie socks are white, whilst mtb
socks are any other colour, preferably clashing with everything else you
are wearing.

There's also recumbent socks and commuter socks. Very similar, but the
'bent socks are longer and have more stripes.

Parbs

All my road socks are grey. They were white when I bought them though.
I assume MTB socks go brown!

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
Old May 10th 06, 08:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-05-10, Patrick Keogh (aka Bruce)
In fact I have two pairs, as I "lost" one pair in a jacket pocket last
winter and then of course had to buy a new pair and only found the old
ones a couple of weeks back.

Yay! There are other people in the world who do this.

-- Ti "the guy who loses gloves when they velcro themselves to some
odd part of the jacket" mC
Old May 10th 06, 10:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Wed, 10 May 2006 07:55:42 +0000, TimC wrote:

Yay! There are other people in the world who do this.

I spent ages looking for my wallet the other day. I thought it was in a
pack, but couldn't see it. I turned the pack upside down and shook it. No
wallet [1]. I got really ****ty. 10 minutes later I shook the pack out
again and the wallet fell out. I don't think I want to know where it was.
If I find stuff on my next credit card being shipped to Black Mesa, I'm
gonna kill Barney.

[1] It has a top pocket with a bunch of stuff in it. I'd already checked
and it wasn't there, but there was enough weight to make it non-obvious
that there was something in the main part.

--
Dave Hughes |
Remember Jeebus loves you. Or maybe he's just sucking up to get your old

Old May 10th 06, 10:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Wed, 10 May 2006 07:53:33 +0000, TimC wrote:

Even the grazed red bits?

Depends how much red is in it. On a normal graze they tend to end up black
or brown as you keep riding. I had a great one on my elbow where I didn't
notice the charred stick blocking an overtaking line on the weekend.

If it's staying red you should probably put something on it, if only to
stop blood getting on your bike and causing corrosion.

Does anyone else tend to use dressings to protect the outside world from
bloodstains as much as to protect the wound? I've had a few pairs of light
coloured pants with odd stains on the knee by the end of their life.

--
Dave Hughes |
"Sanity is like money; you should just have enough to get by. Any more

Old May 10th 06, 10:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Blanchy" wrote in message
Bean Long wrote:
Ouch! Got off the bike this morning with what feels like frost-bite in
the toes. 1 degree at CBR airport by the time I'd showered and got the
computer booted up. Must have been well below zero when I left home.
Cripes that hurts! It can only get cooler from here on in. Can anyone
recommend any uber-booties to keep my tootsies warm on the way to work??

I suggest you try sealskins goretex booties used a lot by us AJs in the
tropics to keep our socks dry yet still letting the feet breath. I used
them trekking across the Kokoda Track and my feet remained dry except when
I submerged them. I have never tried them while cycling but shouldnt be a
problem with them fitting inside your shoes. Available from all good
camping stores or Army disposals stores. See link below.

http://www.kitbag.com.au/category267_1

add .htm or try

http://www.kitbag.com.au/prod380.htm

Old May 10th 06, 12:28 PM posted to aus.bicycle

"Blanchy" wrote:
Bean Long wrote:
Ouch! Got off the bike this morning with what feels like frost-bite in
the toes. 1 degree at CBR airport by the time I'd showered and got the
computer booted up. Must have been well below zero when I left home.
Cripes that hurts! It can only get cooler from here on in. Can anyone
recommend any uber-booties to keep my tootsies warm on the way to work??

I suggest you try sealskins goretex booties used a lot by us AJs in the
tropics to keep our socks dry yet still letting the feet breath. I used
them trekking across the Kokoda Track and my feet remained dry except when
I submerged them. I have never tried them while cycling but shouldnt be a
problem with them fitting inside your shoes. Available from all good
camping stores or Army disposals stores. See link below.

http://www.kitbag.com.au/category267_1

Looks good, and Goretex should work well in the cool, dryer climes of
Canberra and Melbourne. But the downside is you're shoes will still get wet,
resulting in:

1. Significant chilling effect as you ride, leading to still cold tootsies.

2. Wet shoes are going to need to be dried out, very time consuming. Putting
cold wet shoes back on is *yuk*!

I'll stick with the overboots.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old May 10th 06, 01:20 PM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-05-10, Random Data (aka Bruce)
Does anyone else tend to use dressings to protect the outside world from
bloodstains as much as to protect the wound? I've had a few pairs of light
coloured pants with odd stains on the knee by the end of their life.

Bandaids, fingers and computers. Say no more, except that why the
feck do I end up with profusely bleeding cuts everytime I open any
computer; cuts that I don't notice until my whole hand is covered in
red, and some of it has already dripped onto the RAM/CPU/video card?

--
TimC
mathematician, n.:
Old May 10th 06, 02:10 PM posted to aus.bicycle

"TimC" wrote

Bandaids, fingers and computers. Say no more, except that why the
feck do I end up with profusely bleeding cuts everytime I open any
computer; cuts that I don't notice until my whole hand is covered in
red, and some of it has already dripped onto the RAM/CPU/video card?

Because you saved $20 on the case when you got the computer.Cheap
cases have razor-sharp edges.

Theo

Old May 10th 06, 02:48 PM posted to aus.bicycle

On Wed, 10 May 2006 12:20:16 +0000, TimC wrote:

Bandaids, fingers and computers. Say no more, except that why the
feck do I end up with profusely bleeding cuts everytime I open any
computer; cuts that I don't notice until my whole hand is covered in
red, and some of it has already dripped onto the RAM/CPU/video card?

My dishwasher makes old P100 cases look like Gandhi. I pulled the pump out
to try to work out why it wasn't doing its job and ended up looking like
I'd done 3 rounds with the nasty end of a whipper snipper. And I've left a
few drops on motherboards as well.

--
Dave Hughes |
The RSPCA at the end of the road where I work also

Old May 11th 06, 01:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-05-09, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
I think almost all my socks are white. Or they were. Then I went MTBing
and trail running in them. So now all my socks are brown. By the time
you've been MTBing in dust for 10 hours, everything is brown - all
exposed fabric and flesh.

Even the grazed red bits?

MY name isn't crash bandicoot...

Tam

Does Colder Weather = Slower Biking, and if so, why? Colorado Bicycler General 24 December 23rd 05 11:51 PM
Dressing for 32-40F With Wind [email protected] General 19 November 12th 05 04:03 PM
Energy ration cards for everyone planned. iiiiDougiiii UK 87 July 31st 05 06:26 AM
Personal best (sort of) mark General 2 February 16th 04 01:55 PM
Colder Weather: Harder To Ride? (Pete Cresswell) Mountain Biking 23 December 31st 03 03:21 AM