Great Vic Bike Ride bikes

Old October 1st 06, 07:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
>mugwump

Default Great Vic Bike Ride bikes

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 14:48:30 +1000, "mugwump" wrote:

I just found two Great Victorian Bike Ride MTBs thrown out on a
suburban Melbourne nature-strip. One is intact, whilst the second
lacks a seat and handlebars. Got one home by holding the bars with my
right hand while riding my racer. Had to travel about 2 kilometres or
so. Jumped in my son's car and picked up the other. They are green in
colour with Great Victorian Bike Ride in black text. Does anyone know
if they are good quality? Probably made in China and probably not much
good. Anyone?

Turns out there's something amiss with the freewheel. It grinds and
jams spasmodically. Probably something gone wrong with the bearings. I
will have to take it to a bike shop coz I haven't got the right tools
or the ability to fix it. However, I don't want to pay too much as
it's just a poor quality Flat Bar bike.
Old October 3rd 06, 08:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 16:57:44 +1000, "mugwump" wrote:

[...]

Please forgive me if my terminology is inaccurate, for I am but a
novice. Here's what happened. I took my two rear wheels to some bike
shops hoping that they could swap the cluster from the badly buckled
wheel with the cluster from the straight wheel with the stuffed
freewheel bearing. I jumped on a train with wheels in hand and headed
for Carnegie. I took the wheels to the two bike shops in Dandenong
Road but they could not help me. They said it was too difficult to
take the components apart. In fact one of them damaged a tool in the
process. I then decided to take the wheels to the Melbourne Bicycle
Centre at 179 High Street Prahran. They swapped the clusters in about
3 minutes, and they performed the work free of charge. That made my
day. It's good to know there are some helpful and generous people
around.
Old October 3rd 06, 01:39 PM posted to aus.bicycle
jur

mugwump Wrote:
[...]

This tool that was damaged, where was that tool normally kept?

*ouch*

--
jur