track racing gloves

Old March 15th 07, 10:01 PM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman[_50_]

Default track racing gloves

With all due respect, if Shane Kelly & Jobie Dajka are using armoured
gloves and carbon bars, then I suspect, they're the go. These people
ride for a living and have, I expect, a fair clue about what works and
what doesn't. Given that I can get them both quite cheaply (even RRP
on the Tuff armoured gloves is less than $50), why not?

if you like them, go for it, not sure they wear them because they have
a choice on it or whether they are really needed as Zeebee said (again)

And, FWIW, it is quite easy to do a non-destructive test for carbon
failure - the 'coin test' works as well as anything else (95%, I was
quoted). I trust carbon, my forks are made of it on all my roadies
and my track bike. Nothing's more critical than forks

true, the big but (for me) is that the forces going through a finer
section on drop bars rather than generally HMC forks concern me.

Ive seen broken carbon bars and they aint pretty, havnt seen many
broken forks though, even after direct impact with the back of cars,
its usually the top bar and down tubes that bust.....and I therefore
chose to reject carbon for drop bars, weight isnt the consideration
and if you are using carbon other than to save weight, then what is
that purpose?, it doesnt seem to be a performance one IMHO...

I could be wrong and happy to admit it, but the % of your effort that
is confidence and inspiration that drives motivation to give 100% on
the track derives a lot ( not just from your skill, knowledge and
fitness, but also) from your view of your equipment...(unless you are
between 17 and 32 then is it not just testosterone, bravado and
possibly ego and you ride and do what the coach saysand dont reason the
decisions made by the coach?...as you can tell I'm not in that age
bracket anymore!)...

--
rooman

Old March 15th 07, 10:12 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Shane Stanley

In article .com,
"Bleve" wrote:

With all due respect, if Shane Kelly & Jobie Dajka are using armoured
gloves and carbon bars, then I suspect, they're the go. These people
ride for a living and have, I expect, a fair clue about what works and
what doesn't.

It's that sort of thinking that has sponsors pouring out so much money
to get riders to use their stuff. Which is one of the reasons it's not a
very convincing argument...

--
Shane Stanley
Old March 15th 07, 10:20 PM posted to aus.bicycle
thefathippy

On Mar 16, 8:57 am, "Plodder" wrote:
"Bleve" wrote in message

oups.com...

I've been looking for a good pair of track racing gloves for some
time, ones with decent knuckle armour (one must, after all, win the
punchup after the hook, and knuckles are fragile). I haven't seen
them anywhere though, motorcycle road gloves are too heavy and clumsy,
dirtbike gloves look like they'd disintegrate at the first touch of
concrete or bitumen (most velodrones I've been on ....) and I know a
lot of trackies that use golf gloves, but I wonder how resilient they
are and they offer no knuckle protection. Googling around for track
gloves shows a few hits for keirin gloves, but they're expensive
(around $130USD) and I wasn't able to find an Oz distributor. But, it
turns out that Tuff make a keirin glove. And, the shop I work at
carries Tuff gloves sometimes. My review of these gloves is yet to
come, but anyone racing track who's after an affordable track
sprinters glove may be interested, their RRP is about $50 and I'll
hopefully be testing them this w'end at Blackburn. Not *really*
testing them though!

Rumour has it that Japanese Keirin riders are trained to not let go of
the bars when they crash, which is interesting. Something about
reduced risk of collarbone breaks? Anyone know the full story? I can
think of a few reasons for why it might be good, but don't really
know....

I'll have my new bling Easton carbon track bars too ... stiffer,
lighter, stronger ... w00t!

Holding on to the bars is an old MTB thing too. It's a way of preventing the
natural reaction of sticking out an arm to arrest your fall, landing
straight-armed and breaking collarbone/wrist. As a talentless MTBer who
falls regularly it's worked for me so far...

Cheers,

Frank- Hide quoted text -

Me, I tuck and roll. Or attempt to. Usually I just thud. But I don't
hang onto the bars.

Tony F

Old March 16th 07, 12:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
adam85

"Bleve" wrote in message
[...]

Bleve, how come you want knuckle armour? Splinters maybe? I just use my road
gloves.

Adam

Old March 16th 07, 12:30 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Mar 16, 9:12 am, Shane Stanley
wrote:
In article .com,

"Bleve" wrote:
With all due respect, if Shane Kelly & Jobie Dajka are using armoured
gloves and carbon bars, then I suspect, they're the go. These people
ride for a living and have, I expect, a fair clue about what works and
what doesn't.

It's that sort of thinking that has sponsors pouring out so much money
to get riders to use their stuff. Which is one of the reasons it's not a
very convincing argument...

They wouldn't use them if they weren't at least as good as any
alternatives available. A slew of world records and olympic medals
doesn't come from accepting junk because a sponsor says 'use this'.

Besides, as I've mentioned, the gloves are quite cheap (RRP is only
fractionally more than the road gloves I normally wear), and the
bars .. I don't need Dura Ace on my roady either, but I have it, and
it's bloody nice. I know it's no faster, but it is nicer to use. If
Shane is happy to use them on his bike at random country carnivals,
then I figure I won't be able to break them (he's just a *tiny* bit
stronger than I am ....). I've seen steel bars break under high
power, nothing's perfect.

Old March 16th 07, 12:36 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Mar 16, 11:03 am, "adam85" wrote:
"Bleve" wrote in message

[...]

Because I can. Track stuff (sprints at least) are short, so getting
too hot isn't an issue.

Adam

Old March 16th 07, 09:59 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on 16 Mar 2007 05:36:24 -0700
Bleve wrote:
On Mar 16, 11:03 am, "adam85" wrote:

Bleve, how come you want knuckle armour? Splinters maybe? I just use my road
gloves.

Because I can. Track stuff (sprints at least) are short, so getting
too hot isn't an issue.

Hey, looks cool, feels good, what's not to like?

Zebee
- waiting for the carbon fibre body armour over the shorts. Protect
and advertise all at once!
Old March 17th 07, 01:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

Bleve wrote:
On Mar 16, 11:03 am, "adam85" wrote:

Bleve, how come you want knuckle armour? Splinters maybe? I just use my road
gloves.

Because I can. Track stuff (sprints at least) are short, so getting
too hot isn't an issue.

Hey, looks cool, feels good, what's not to like?

Zebee
- waiting for the carbon fibre body armour over the shorts. Protect
and advertise all at once!

You can get kevlar arm covers, it's not such a dumb idea. Similar to
draggin jeans stuff.

Old March 17th 07, 07:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on 16 Mar 2007 18:05:42 -0700
Bleve wrote:

You can get kevlar arm covers, it's not such a dumb idea. Similar to
draggin jeans stuff.

I'd have thought kevlar knee pads in long nicks would be sensible too.

Still waiting for the carbonfibre codpiece...

Zebee
- sponsored by Giant?