Training for a long ride

Old March 18th 07, 06:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle
AndrewJ

Default Training for a long ride

On Mar 16, 10:50 pm, "just us" wrote:
Thanks Andrew - I am hoping that years of serious remote bushwalking has
enabled me to have the right gear. Plan on 2 knicks, 2 riding jerseys (long
sleeve cos of sun) and one only lightweight pair of longs that zip to
shorts, one only lightweight shirt, and a very exy lightweight pullover, one
riding rain jacket (super light weight). Shoes - I ride in Keens, so these
are my day time riding shoes, nighttime wear about shoes etc etc. Have all
the lightweight tent/mattress etc and know that I can go with as little as
10kgs. Water on board will be 3 litres in a "carrybladder" plus 3 x 750mls
on bidons. Really really looking forward to the challenge of getting the
food right. I know that I can go for a 9 day remote hike with 4 1/2kgs of
dried food and not loose weight so it will be interesting to see how day in
day out of riding compares. I plan to carry 4 days of dehydrated food (I dry
my own) and to stop and buy fresh and cook it myself where possible. Not
really into takeaways in a big way. LOL... will let you know at the end of
it!
Kathy

I take thermals too. They weigh nothing, but are excellent if the
temperature
drops to low overnight. I wore them in September in Casterton,
Victoria when
temperature was zero overnight. Had to chip ice off tent. Really
regretted not
taking the thermal gloves. But I probably would have only worn them
for an hour
or so, and they take up space.

I'm still hopeless on food, but working on it :-)

Just in case you are worried by the current viewing of the outback
murder stuff. I
had one moment that made me recall the case. A ute stopped up ahead,
and the driver
got out. I thought "...here we go...". So I approached really slowly.
As I got close
the driver said "..need a lift ?" Every time I spend time out in the
remote parts of
Australia I am overwhelmed by how kindly they treat a city slicker
with time on his
hands, and nothing better to do than pedal about.

Have a great ride.

Adult Training Wheels (long...winded) Brian General 0 January 29th 06 08:38 AM
Q's on bad training ride Sandy Racing 23 January 26th 06 04:08 AM
Ride Report ( Long) - Children's Cancer Institute Bike Ride - Townsville to Cairns HughMann Australia 2 August 7th 05 04:08 AM
Ride report - the Dragon Ride (long) Richard Goodman UK 9 June 24th 05 07:26 PM
First long ride on my new bike (long) David Kerber General 17 November 26th 03 12:59 PM