Bike tube etiquette

Old March 26th 07, 02:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Default Bike tube etiquette

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
Friday wrote:
Since the rear wheel follows almost exactly the same path as the
front wheel it would seem to me that if the front wheel ran over a
sharp object on the road (ie. broken glass) then the back wheel
would run over it too. Taking two spare tubes is common sense. (Well
at least to me it

it's been my experience that the front wheel punctures far less often.
Perhaps the front wheel runs over it and disturbs the object and the
rear wheel then picks it up, perhaps there is more weight on the rear
and so the object penetrates more easily.

No idea, but I can't recall the last front wheel puncture, but I've
had many rear wheel ones.

Yup, what Zebee says is correct. On motorcycles, front wheel punctures are
rare. I had a spate of rear wheel puntures many years ago. They stopped when
I fitted a mudflap to the front mudguard. Apparently this knocks down the
item the front wheel picks up.

Theo

Old March 28th 07, 08:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle
dave

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
In aus.bicycle on Sat, 24 Mar 2007 12:24:22 +1100
DaveB wrote:

Tex wrote:

Why aren't *they* carrying a repair kit?

Because there are a lot of gumby cyclists out there. You can either not
help them and say suffer in your jocks (and I'm wondering when was the
last time anyone heard that), or help them and suggest that in future
they carry a spare tube or repair kit.

I've met motorcyclists without tools, out miles from anywhere.

They are the reason I carry a tubeless tyre repair kit even though all
my bikes run tubes.

Yes, when I have met someone and used my kit, it's cost me money.
$12 or so for the CO2 and the plug. I've been offered money and I've
just been offered thanks.

Either way is fine with me because when I started riding the people I
rode with taught me that we look after our own.

How do I repay the bod who realised I wasn't in his mirror anymore and
came back to look for me, found me unconscious and bleeding, called the
ambulance, and found someone to look after my bike? A man I didn't know
from Adam?

A class bloke tho

He did it because I was a biker and he was a biker and we look after
our own. I can't pay him in money, but the times I've helped others
before that and after it are the currency I pay him in. And the currency
others pay me in.

I dont always agree with you Zebee. But sometimes you are very very
right

Dave

Road bike etiquette rowman UK 44 April 16th 06 06:31 PM
Tube etiquette Michael Warner Australia 48 July 22nd 05 12:41 PM
what is under the down tube of this bike? John Forrest Tomlinson Racing 15 July 18th 05 12:30 AM
Bottom bracket shell, head-tube tube, angles? Simon Brooke UK 13 June 3rd 05 06:19 PM
WTB: Cross bike, approx 51 seat tube, 53 top tube. the catfish Marketplace 0 May 8th 05 05:45 PM