Police harassment, UK style

Old May 8th 07, 08:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Nick Payne

Default Police harassment, UK style

One of the riders I used to race against in the 1980s in the Vets club here
in Canberra was a police Commander in the AFP (fairly senior, not very far
from Commissioner level). He was riding his bike home from work one day when
a passing motorcyclist kicked him. He noted the license plate, rode home,
rang work to get the address associated with the license, changed into
Uniform, went round, and arrested and charged the rider...

"Graeme Dods" wrote in message
oups.com...
I thought you guys might appreciate this from uk.rec.cycling -

http://groups.google.com.au/group/uk...2d6d955060f2aa

Old May 8th 07, 08:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
EuanB[_54_]

rooman Wrote:
"wataboutthawerkers?.....!!...."
yeah...toss the lycra.... I like the visual of steel cap boots ,
overalls and a four corner tied hanky on your head( a la Charlie Blake
) ...see a few like that ..(sans hanky) around Port Melb/Docklands
now and then

...everyone ride in whatever...just ride, and keep the nice plods
guessing...

There's a guy who rides down Nepean in Blundestones on a nice bike, Keo
pedals too. Asked him about it and he reckons they work just fine.
Fair turn of pace too (by my fat commuter standards).

--
EuanB

Old May 8th 07, 08:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle
treadly&me[_19_]

Nick Payne Wrote:
He noted the license plate, rode home,
rang work to get the address associated with the license, changed into
Uniform, went round, and arrested and charged the rider...

Again: Pppppwhhahaahahahahahahaah! Good one.

--
treadly&me

Old May 8th 07, 09:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
treadly&me[_20_]

Donga Wrote:
Seeing a guy in work clothes and boots riding a nice racing bike would
make me think theft.

I see your point and that's where the cop seemed to start out but it
sounded like he just couldn't resist getting distracted, throwing his
weight around and being a bully.

But it might not have had anything to do with suspecting theft. He may
have thought that a bloke in boots was just a plonker and didn't
"deserve" such a slick ride (remember he claimed to be a cyclist
himself)--hence the attitude about getting out of the right-hand lane.

Donga Wrote:
I don't think a fella who 'teaches' police can be too clever in trying
to catch them out, do you? I wouldn't read too much into this boastful
little tale.

Yeah, maybe the cyclist was being a bit of a smartarse but (for better
or worse) cops have to deal with that every day. It doesn't give this
guy the right to abuse his authority, which I think was the point of
the story. And let's face it, the cop did walk right into it: the
cyclist really hadn't done anything wrong.

--
treadly&me

Old May 10th 07, 10:19 PM posted to aus.bicycle
hippy[_31_]

Graeme Dods Wrote:
I thought you guys might appreciate this from uk.rec.cycling -
http://tinyurl.com/2hx54x
http://tinyurl.com/3639pe

Lov-er-ly!

hippy