Mountain Bikers Flunk "Sharing 101"

Old November 16th 07, 04:11 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Mountain Bikers Flunk "Sharing 101"

As usual, the mountain bikers blame everybody else for their
difficulties, when it's blatantly obvious that (1) the problems are
caused ONLY by the presence of bicycles and (2) guess who brings the
bicycles: ONLY the mountain bikers! (3) There is only ONE equitable
solution: ban bicycles and other vehicles from all natural areas, and
restrict them to pavement; that will allow everyone to use the trails,
without any conflict -- just as we did before people decided to bring
their bicycles with them where they don't belong. This policy works
just fine in Yosemite National Park, the nation's premier outdoor
recreational facility.

Mike

From: Tom Ward
Subject: Ad Hoc Committee, Common Ground
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 11:30:24 -0600

To The Ad Hoc Committee on Common Ground:

After much thought, consideration, and regret, we have decided to
withdraw IMBA California from the Common Ground Ad Hoc Committee
effective immediately. This means that Michael Kelley, Patty Ciesla
and Tom Ward will not be attending the November scheduled meeting of
the Ad Hoc group. We believe our withdrawal effectively dissolves the
Ad Hoc Committee, which was constituted as a voluntary, consensus
process at the Folsom Trails Conference.

The Finding Common Ground session was identified as an "opportunity to
put conflict issues aside and discuss commonalties between user groups
while looking for mutual partnerships." This was to be an effort to
try something new; to bring together groups and individuals who were
committed to easing conflicts and achieving a safe, high quality
experience for all muscle powered trail users. Above all, the task was
to mount a collaborative effort, without the bickering that had
characterized previous efforts.

According to the ground rules, the Common Ground group would only
focus on items of agreement. At the Trails Conference, the two
specific items of agreement given priority were to work on a set of
guidelines to reduce conflicts, and to identify a place where a new
shared use trail would be productive, as well as one where a new
"separate but equal" trail arrangement would be productive. Since the
conference, the mailing lists have been full of other topics, attacks
on individuals and groups, and claims about other users that clearly
violate the spirit of cooperation agreed to by all.

Additionally, we believe that the most effective way to resolve trail
issues around the state is to collaborate, negotiate and find common
ground with the trail organizations that represent the interests of
millions of trail users in California. Contrary to this perspective,
several Ad Hoc members wish to operate on the principle that Ad Hoc
committee members be independent of formal trail organizations and
operate purely as involved citizens. IMBA CA considers this latter
position to be ineffectual because it denies the reality of the formal
trail organizations throughout the state that regularly work with land
managers in the development and implementation of trail policy.

IMBA California, from it inception two years ago, has attempted to
reach out to other trail users in an effort to improve the trail
experience for all. We will not cease in our efforts to work with
other trail organizations to find common ground. In fact we are now
increasing our outreach to those organizations and individuals that
can effectively speak for and influence members of the California
trail community, and above all, who share the basic purposes of the
Common Ground Caucus. We are optimistic that by working together, we
can continue to enhance the trail experience for all users on
California trails.

Tom Ward
Michael Kelley

Tom Ward