Good kid dies biking on Manhattan Bridge

Old November 20th 07, 03:47 PM posted to nyc.bicycles, rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving
Prisoner at War

Default Good kid dies biking on Manhattan Bridge

On Nov 19, 9:16 pm, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition (R)"
wrote:
"Zoot Katz" wrote in message

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:10:29 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:39:41 -0500, dgk wrote:

Maybe, but he wasn't inexperienced. If he's riding fixies with
Critical Mass I'd guess he knew his stuff.

Is that a fixie in this picture?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007...on_of_brooklyn...

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Apparently, there was drinking involved and honking cars. Those combined
with gaps in the lanes and night time made for a deadly combination.

NA$CAR Penis Power killed him.

WTF were those morons honking for if not to threaten, menace and
force the cyclists off the road?
--
zk

It's tragic, but they were riding on motorized vehicle only level. I used
to commute over Manhattan bridge bike path all the time, but riding in
traffic over the bridge AT NIGHT would be near suicidal.

No it's not. I've done highways many times when I am forced to, at
night, in the city and out in Jersey, and actually very few people
honk -- but the point is, you ignore them.

What cyclists need is a lot more nerve! The problem with the
mainstreaming of cycling (a propos the "please stop all bike paths"
thread) is that we get a lot of casual riders who freak out at the
slightest bother. The ultimate problem is, I SAY AGAIN, that there's
this mentality that motorists have a right to be on the road. They do
not. They are licensed to drive, and that means taking proper
precautions and SHUTTING THE **** UP WITH THE ****ING HORNS over every
little speed bump and inconvenience.

You people are all missing the whole point of bicycles vis-a-vis cars.
Old November 24th 07, 07:35 PM posted to nyc.bicycles, rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving
Bob

On Nov 20, 9:47 am, Prisoner at War wrote:

What cyclists need is a lot more nerve! The problem with the
mainstreaming of cycling (a propos the "please stop all bike paths"
thread) is that we get a lot of casual riders who freak out at the
slightest bother. The ultimate problem is, I SAY AGAIN, that there's
this mentality that motorists have a right to be on the road. They do
not. They are licensed to drive, and that means taking proper
precautions and SHUTTING THE **** UP WITH THE ****ING HORNS over every
little speed bump and inconvenience.

You people are all missing the whole point of bicycles vis-a-vis cars.

Since you don't specify your point I don't know what point that may be
but whatever point it is might not necessarily be the lesson to be
learned from this incident. A truly useful lesson would be that, just
as drinking and driving don't mix, neither do drinking and cycling in
traffic. As far as the honking is concerned, based on my experience
I'd say any honking was most likely not directed at the cyclists but
at motorized traffic that may have taken sudden and unexpected evasive
action to avoid striking those cyclists. That's why I rather doubt
that the sound of the horn(s) contributed much to this incident. The
sound of skidding tires from cars braking severely as they bear down
on you is much more unnerving than even the longest and loudest horn
blast from the cars behind *them*.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

P.S.- You may continue to shout swear words in capital letters all you
want but the fact is that motorized traffic does indeed have a right
to be on the roadways- not a *superior* right but a right nonetheless.