training adults to learn to ride for 1st time?

Old June 1st 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ablang

Default training adults to learn to ride for 1st time?

I'm curious b/c this situation will apply to me in a few short
months... Is there a technique that has been proven for training
adults to learn to ride for 1st time? They don't exactly make training
wheels for adults, do they?

Here's my idea. To just sit on the bike and see if the adult can
propel themselves along just by moving their feet (not even pedaling)
and pushing the bike along. They can use their feet as crutches by
letting them hang just above the surface of the asphalt. Same as
motorcyclists do just before they get enough speed to take off. Maybe
if they can hold their balance long enough and often enough, pedaling
will come easy. What do you think of that?
Old June 1st 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul M. Hobson[_2_]

Ablang wrote:
I'm curious b/c this situation will apply to me in a few short
months... Is there a technique that has been proven for training
adults to learn to ride for 1st time? They don't exactly make training
wheels for adults, do they?

Here's my idea. To just sit on the bike and see if the adult can
propel themselves along just by moving their feet (not even pedaling)
and pushing the bike along. They can use their feet as crutches by
letting them hang just above the surface of the asphalt. Same as
motorcyclists do just before they get enough speed to take off. Maybe
if they can hold their balance long enough and often enough, pedaling
will come easy. What do you think of that?

That seems to be the standard method. Lower the seat and remove the
pedals to make all this even easier.

--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.
Old June 9th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Jun 1, 4:22*pm, "Paul M. Hobson" wrote:
Ablang wrote:
[...]

This blog should have some helpful hints for you: http://www.squidoo.com/easyriding

I hope it helps!

Cheers!