Good LBS in Portland, OR??

Old July 1st 08, 04:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul M. Hobson[_2_]

Default Good LBS in Portland, OR??

I've seen the list found he
http://bikeportland.org/resources/links

But I'm curious if any of the folks here have a favorite LBS. I'm
looking for a shop that can take care of helping me set up a good
commuter and maybe get some higher-end 'road' parts from time to time
without the 'tude.

Thanks!
--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.
Old July 1st 08, 06:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Paul M. Hobson" wrote in message
| I've seen the list found he
| http://bikeportland.org/resources/links
|
| But I'm curious if any of the folks here have a favorite LBS. I'm
| looking for a shop that can take care of helping me set up a good
| commuter and maybe get some higher-end 'road' parts from time to time
| without the 'tude.
|
| Thanks!
| --
| Paul M. Hobson

The Bike Gallery has been active in both the local and national bicycle
advocacy scene for many years. Jay Graves, President/Owner, is a very decent
guy. I haven't been to one of their stores, but I know Jay's not in it for
personal gain. He really enjoys what he's doing and his mission has been
very cycling and employee-oriented.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old July 1st 08, 06:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

The Bike Gallery has been active in both the local and national bicycle
advocacy scene for many years. Jay Graves, President/Owner, is a very decent
guy. I haven't been to one of their stores, but I know Jay's not in it for
personal gain. He really enjoys what he's doing and his mission has been
very cycling and employee-oriented.

Would not being an LBS proprietor be a foolish choice for someone who
was just in it for the money? Do any of them make a lot of money (Chris
Kegel, perhaps)?

Old July 1st 08, 07:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul M. Hobson[_2_]

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
"Paul M. Hobson" wrote in message
| I've seen the list found he
| http://bikeportland.org/resources/links
|
| But I'm curious if any of the folks here have a favorite LBS. I'm
| looking for a shop that can take care of helping me set up a good
| commuter and maybe get some higher-end 'road' parts from time to time
| without the 'tude.
|
| Thanks!
| --
| Paul M. Hobson

The Bike Gallery has been active in both the local and national bicycle
advocacy scene for many years. Jay Graves, President/Owner, is a very decent
guy. I haven't been to one of their stores, but I know Jay's not in it for
personal gain. He really enjoys what he's doing and his mission has been
very cycling and employee-oriented.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Mike,

Reading the description of Bike Gallery on bikeportland.org, I think
that's the same shop my LBS back in Atlanta mentioned for the same
reason. Thanks for jarring my memory.

\\paul

--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.
Old July 1st 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

The Bike Gallery has been active in both the local and national bicycle
advocacy scene for many years. Jay Graves, President/Owner, is a very decent
guy. I haven't been to one of their stores, but I know Jay's not in it for
personal gain. He really enjoys what he's doing and his mission has been
very cycling and employee-oriented.

I remember buying a Burley trailer up there when I was up in Portland on
business. He was charging more than $100 less than all other bicycle
stores because he believed in promoting family cycling. I remember they
were also the only store originally selling Trek's line of commute
bicycles that weren't being offered in the U.S..
Old July 1st 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

For commute bikes, go to the Bike Gallery. "http://www.bikegallery.com/".
Old July 1st 08, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jun 30, 11:32 pm, "Paul M. Hobson" wrote:
I've seen the list found hehttp://bikeportland.org/resources/links

But I'm curious if any of the folks here have a favorite LBS. I'm
looking for a shop that can take care of helping me set up a good
commuter and maybe get some higher-end 'road' parts from time to time
without the 'tude.

Be sure to check out CityBikes on Ankeny. http://www.citybikes.coop/

It's a _way_ different bike shop. They're all about utility
transportation, keeping old bikes running, etc. They also sell used
parts, including some obscure ones. I think they're allergic to lycra
and carbon fiber.

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 1st 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DennisTheBald

On Jun 30, 10:32 pm, "Paul M. Hobson" wrote:
I've seen the list found hehttp://bikeportland.org/resources/links

But I'm curious if any of the folks here have a favorite LBS.

I guess you can't really call REI an LBS... but they've been selling
bikes with wide smooth tires that weigh less that 50lbs for a long
time, they continued to sell bikes set up for touring when all the
LBSes seemed only to offer racing or mountain bikes. It sounds like
there maybe some real nice, mom & pop kinda LBSes in Portland. But if
you're just looking for someone to replace your bottom bracket without
giving you lip about how you need to upgrade I've found the REI bike
folks to be a refreshing change from the too trendy shops, but I'm a
long way from Portland too. I know this sounds hard to believe as the
rest of the REI store is just that too trendy type of place, but you
should feel 'em out for yourself. They won't be cheap, of course if
yer gonna ride it every day you ain't looking for something cheap
either.