Commuting: Changing Clothes?

Old October 31st 08, 05:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

Default Commuting: Changing Clothes?

In article
,
" wrote:

On Oct 30, 11:39*pm, Michael Press wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
On Oct 29, 6:17*pm, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
wrote:
On 10/29/2008 2:39 PM wrote:

On Oct 29, 12:10 pm, Phil W Lee phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk
wrote:
" considered Wed, 29 Oct 2008
06:33:01 -0700 (PDT) the perfect time to write:

On Oct 27, 4:31 pm, Brian Huntley wrote:
On Oct 25, 8:02 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Anyhow... not to rant on and on... but does anybody have a
workaround that works for them?
Ignoring the impatient ones?
Flush, and claim you were "multi tasking."
This is my favorite reply so far.
Personally, we don't have locker rooms @ my workplace, but I change in
a bathroom that's somewhat inconvient. *I do so because it's the only
single-person bathroom here, so I can lock the door and wipe up a bit
using the sink. *I show up, walk to my desk in my cycling gear, get my
work clothes, walk back to the bathroom right next to where I park my
bike, clean up and change, punch in (since the time clock is right
next to that bathroom and my "bike parking" and head back to my desk.
Takes ~5 extra minutes, but it's worth it to me to be able to clean
and desweat myself.
Just because that's what I do doesn't make it the right answer for
everyone. *Personally I'd kill for a locker room with showers at
work. *However, if you want to change by your desk, by all means, do
so! *And if called out, flush and claim multi-tasking. *What office
manager can't appreciate that?
My winter commute will be slow, on studded tires while bundled up
nice. *I think a nice pipe may be in order, although the closest to a
jaunty cap I'd be able to pull off that would keep me warm enough
would be one of thesehttp://tinyurl.com/5guylk
If you can find one, a deerstalker would provide the ear coverage, and
complement the pipe very nicely.- Hide quoted text -

If I can find one of the ones with earflaps, that'd be perfect. *Good
call!

http://www.villagehatshop.com/deerst...es.htmlhttp://...

Sweet. *My winter commuting garb is starting to come together! *I'm
nto sure if those would be warm enough though, I'm thinking fur-
lined. *I know they're out there!

I have not lived in the snow for a while, but still have one of these
http://www.furhatworld.com/images/2008_10_28_0209-brown-3.jpg?osCsid=...
and even wear it from time to time. It is as warm as you are likely to need.
Pure luxury. Do not stint.

Very cool. My dad has a sheepskin hat of the navigatorish design,
with sheep fur lining. Awesome quality, super comfortable, a great
hat. He bought it for hunting back when he was into hunting, probably
20 years ago. It was expensive then. Can't imagine what it would
cost today, if I could even find something comparable. I can borrow
it when it's not too cold, but on the days he's running the snowblower
he uses it, so I can basically only scam-able in fall and spring.
Also, it's too nice to velcro up, and when I get one of my own I want
to put a velcro strip on the back I can attach a blinky to for
visibility. In the mean time, while I hunt for one of my own, I have
his on loan. This is both a gift and a curse - it's great to have for
now but is almost certain to make whatever I get for myself pale in
comparison. I'll probably end up using it for tomorrow's commute. Of
course without the pipe, puttees, boots and fleece lined pants the
look won't be complete.

I should have put in this url. $50 US.
http://www.furhatworld.com/rabbit-full-fur-russian-trooper-hat-brown-p-441.html?osCsid=5285db62ef281f5cae5848a938ce89cf

--
Michael Press
Old October 31st 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 31, 1:03*am, Michael Press wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
[...]

Michael Press- Hide quoted text -

Way too cool! I may have to go that route!

Here's the hat on loan from my dad:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...Karfv-YA7Zywjw
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...1FlQ75wMhqxkTQ
Old November 2nd 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default A New Riding Environment (Was: Commuting Changing Clothes)

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliot wrote:
On 10/30/2008 7:24 AM wrote:

On Oct 30, 10:18 am, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
On 10/30/2008 6:56 AM wrote:

I think I figured out what I'm looking for, a trekking or navigators
cap. Something like one of thesehttp://tinyurl.com/6s46uj
http://tinyurl.com/6h9v9l

On the plus side, those look warmer than a deerstalker. On the minus,
not
as natty. We men are just not as willing as women to suffer for our
beauty.

Couldn't agree more.

We are, however, more willing to do stupid things like ride our
bikes in weather that risks loss of ear or finger to frostbite.

Again, I find you're dead-on. I actually take an odd sort of joy in
such activities, stupid as they may be. When I lived in Boston I
loved riding everywhere when the rest of the city was commited to
subway.

Boston's temperature range isn't so different from Bend's

Bend: http://tinyurl.com/5fz7c4
Boston: http://tinyurl.com/3d4egx

Though Boston does get more precipitation.

I hail from coastal Southern California, where temps are more moderate:
http://tinyurl.com/29lkq8

Being in the high desert, Bend doesn't get much precipitation, but it
does get a colder than the cities that normally come to mind when one
thinks of Oregon or the Pacific Northwest. And certainly colder than
coastal SoCal.

I'm going to have to adjust to riding here.

Because if I don't, then I either face riding on a stupid trainer (which
is about as interesting as petting a dog), or doing nothing all winter.
There are plenty of snow sports here, but with a metal knee, skiing or
snowshoeing or anything that risks torquing my leg in a fall or a twist
is verboten.

Here is just the thing to keep the riding squirrel warm in the winter:
http://leitra.dk/news.php.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.
Old November 2nd 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Clive George wrote:
wrote in message

You know, that sounds like a lot of fun at first, but then I remember
that's what they make snowmobiles for. Silence? Bah! turn it off to
sip the flask from time to time. Alternate that nice silence with the
beautiful sounds of a 2 stroke motor.

Mmm, snowmobiles. Have me reaching for the RPG every time.

Does not the grenade cause too much damage to leave many edible parts?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.

If you have a closet full of clothes that you would like to sell,consider using an online auction site or consignment store to sell them tointerested consumers. Online auction sites will sell your used clothes to thehighest bidder and will require yo [email protected] General 0 April 25th 08 05:44 PM
The sale of the old Guinness Super watches. LV packs. And hat.Clothes. Some products, etc.The sale of the old Guinness Super watches. LVpacks. And hat. Clothes. Some products, etc.ello [email protected] Techniques 0 December 6th 07 02:29 PM
The sale of the old Guinness Super watches. LV packs. And hat.Clothes. Some products, etc.The sale of the old Guinness Super watches. LVpacks. And hat. Clothes. Some products, etc.ello [email protected] UK 0 December 6th 07 02:29 PM
Changing small change Mountain Biking 9 February 15th 05 02:27 PM
Commuting and business clothes tricks Justin Seiferth General 5 July 12th 04 07:03 PM