Cheap Keo-type pedals

Old April 25th 21, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Cheap Keo-type pedals

I bought a pair of Rock Bros pedals. There are a several different brands of Chinese copies of the Keo.

I installed these pedals on a new set of FSA Gossamer all aluminum cranks. I took a couple of pretty hard rides on them and was out in the middle of nowhere. All OK as far as I could tell. I install pedals with the Allen wrench because they are "English" threaded they really can't back out as long as you have a snug fit.

Well, on todays Old Farts Ride that seldom gets over 14 mph, the pedal started rocking back and forth. I assumed my cleat was loosening and imediately turned around and just as I got to the top of a bridge the pedal pulled completely out of the crank. All of the threads are stripped out. I rode another mile one legged and called my wife to come pick me up. From now on I'm going to give her an address to put into MAP so that it brings her the direct way. It took her 70 minutes to find me 10 miles away. I suppose I sunburned my head again after just getting over a peel.

Looking closely it appears that the Rock Bros, pedals were made slightly too small and the threads were flat on top besides so that it had minimal engagement. I suppose there is a reason why Look Keo pedals cost three times as much.

Watch out for any look alike. I understand that the Shimano road pedals use Look Keo cleats but I haven't tried those. The Keo Cleat inserts so easily into the pedal that I don't care to do any more experimentation.
Old April 25th 21, 07:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op zondag 25 april 2021 om 03:50:07 UTC+2 schreef :
[...]

Shimano pedals don't use Look Keo cleats. They use the same 3 bolt mounting pattern but that is about it.

Lou
Old April 25th 21, 02:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 11:12:39 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that information. I keep seeing the Shimano pedals showing up when I do a search for the Keo.