removing rear sprockets

Old November 30th 05, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default removing rear sprockets

I cannot remove shimano rear sprockets to replace a wheel spoke.
Must I use a special tool to engage the grooves inside the sprokets'
hub to get goog purcahse and use a long lever arrm?.
Or ought I be able to just use a pin spanner to engage the 2 holes in
the ring that retains the 6 sprockets?.
Thanks,Hartly

Old November 30th 05, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article . com,
wrote:
I cannot remove shimano rear sprockets to replace a wheel spoke.
Must I use a special tool to engage the grooves inside the sprokets'
hub to get goog purcahse and use a long lever arrm?.

Depends on the model. Do you have a cassette or a freewheel?
Old November 30th 05, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

C wrote:

In article . com,
wrote:
I cannot remove shimano rear sprockets to replace a wheel spoke.
Must I use a special tool to engage the grooves inside the sprokets'
hub to get goog purcahse and use a long lever arrm?.

Depends on the model. Do you have a cassette or a freewheel?

OP has a six speed freewheel. It will be fun to watch when he takes the
pinspanner approach

(cue : search the parktool or sheldonbrown website)

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old November 30th 05, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

If you use a pin spanner you will spill small ball bearings everywhere.

You need a freewheel removal tool to fit the splines.

Use a QR (or lock nut) to hold it in place while undoing.

Either hold the tool in a vice (if you are American use a vise instead)
and totate the wheel OR (I find this prefereable) rest the wheel (with
tyre) on the ground against a wall corner, use a long lever to undo,
bracing the wheel against the wall. Do this at a corner so your hands
go past the wall so you don't remove your knuckes when the freewheel
gives.

Old December 1st 05, 12:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Thanks for your info.Andrew ,Marten and C.
Hartly