21st Century Flats differ from 20th

Old November 23rd 05, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default 21st Century Flats differ from 20th

Flats in the 21st Century seem to have a new character : nearly all
of my recent flats have been from sidewall cord failures in the
casing abrading the tube until it leaks. And I don't ride over
anything that would stress cords.

The 20th Century was a century of punctures and no cord failures,
as I'd expect to continue.

Maybe somebody is throwing rocks at my tires with me unaware.

Maybe modern tire cords suck.

Another new failure mode : tire pump leaks in the hose that let all
the air out of the tire (fixed, fortunately, by pen knife hose shortening
and twisty-tie air-right hose reattachment).

--
Ron Hardin

Old November 23rd 05, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ron Hardin wrote:
Flats in the 21st Century seem to have a new character : nearly all
of my recent flats have been from sidewall cord failures in the
casing abrading the tube until it leaks. And I don't ride over
anything that would stress cords.

The 20th Century was a century of punctures and no cord failures,
as I'd expect to continue.

Maybe somebody is throwing rocks at my tires with me unaware.

Maybe modern tire cords suck.

....Maybe you started using Continental tires
around the turn of the century?

http://www.eleventooth.com/images/bi...G4315bandb.JPG

Robert