freewheels and threaded hubs....

Old November 24th 05, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default freewheels and threaded hubs....

will any ACS, Dicta, or Shimano single speed freewheel thread onto a
Campy Pista, Shimano Dura Ace, or Phil Wood track hub?

Old November 27th 05, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 24 Nov 2005 06:34:01 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
wrote:

Yep, the ones made for that thread pitch. Track hubs are just normal
freewheel pitch sections, made shorter so the reverse thread lockring
can go on. It is still tall enough for a single speed freewheel.

Isn't it more like freewheel threads are track threads made longer and
without the lockring thread? Seems like the track thread was there first
-- viz the old Sturmeys and coasters with thread to screw the cog on,
rather than the newer splines.

Incidentally, why aren't there Fixie hubs with Sturmey & co splines
instead of the archaic threaded system? I mean, the cogs are a lot
cheaper, they have built-in chainline adjustment with the raised shoulders
and the two 1 mm spacers, and it's just an objectively better design,
especially for fastening on cogs that might get reverse pressure. They're
not used on hundreds of millions of coaster brake hubs for nothing, after
all.

Jasper
Old November 27th 05, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 02:25:18 +0000, Jasper Janssen wrote:

Incidentally, why aren't there Fixie hubs with Sturmey & co splines
instead of the archaic threaded system?

There is one. I forget the brand, but saw posts about it here a while
back. The pictures on the web site made it look like just the hub you are
looking for.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Let's be straight here. If we find something we can't
_`\(,_ | understand we like to call it something you can't understand, or
(_)/ (_) | indeed even pronounce. -- Douglas Adams

Old November 27th 05, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jasper Janssen writes:

[...]

This type of attachment only works well on centered chain lines and
only on steel. Slide-on sprockets that we have on cassettes today
were formerly secured by screwing on the last sprocket to prevent
fretting damage that would otherwise occur. It was only recently that
someone devised the detente style cover-nut that holds today's gear
clusters together. Had someone invented that forty years ago, you
probably wouldn't need to ask. Progress is slow.

Jobst Brandt
Old November 27th 05, 07:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
will any ACS, Dicta, or Shimano single speed freewheel thread onto a
Campy Pista, Shimano Dura Ace, or Phil Wood track hub?

Yes.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old November 27th 05, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 27 Nov 2005 03:07:00 GMT, wrote:
Jasper Janssen writes:

[...]

Seems to me that a Sturmey three speed or a coaster brake are pretty much
identical in chainline etc. considerations to a track hub. They don't seem
particularly prone to fretting with the splined + circular spring
attachment. Are threaded track cogs typically made of aluminum?

Jasper
Old November 27th 05, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:39:59 -0500, "David L. Johnson"
wrote:
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 02:25:18 +0000, Jasper Janssen wrote:

Incidentally, why aren't there Fixie hubs with Sturmey & co splines
instead of the archaic threaded system?

There is one. I forget the brand, but saw posts about it here a while
back. The pictures on the web site made it look like just the hub you are
looking for.

It'd probably still be cheaper to take a coaster brake hub, remove the
innards, and weld the driver solid.

Jasper
Old November 27th 05, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jasper Janssen wrote:
Are threaded track cogs typically made of aluminum?

No, but track hubs are.

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer
Old November 27th 05, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

David L. Johnson wrote:
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 02:25:18 +0000, Jasper Janssen wrote:

Incidentally, why aren't there Fixie hubs with Sturmey & co splines
instead of the archaic threaded system?

There is one. I forget the brand, but saw posts about it here a while
back. The pictures on the web site made it look like just the hub you are
looking for.

Miche makes the splined system. I have no idea if it is the same spline
pattern as the sturmey.

Baird