Stem & seatpost question

Old November 30th 05, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Default Stem & seatpost question

Today while cleaning and checking my bike for things that may become
problems I noticed that the top part of the suspension seatpost seems to
have some rotational play on the post itself. It seems that it may need to
be replaced. Is this a common problem? The bike only has about 2000 miles on
it. Should I put a rigid post in place of the suspension one that is there
now? How about a carbon fiber deal?

And my stem question: Does anyone know how to adjust the angle on these type
of adjustable stems that come on a Raleigh hybrid? I have tried and the only
adjustment I can seem to make is the overall height.

Here is a page with pictures of the stem and seatpost.
http://kcm-home.tripod.com/stem_seatpost.html

Ken

Old November 30th 05, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Today while cleaning and checking my bike for things that may become
problems I noticed that the top part of the suspension seatpost seems
to have some rotational play on the post itself. It seems that it may
need to be replaced. Is this a common problem? The bike only has
about 2000 miles on it. Should I put a rigid post in place of the
suspension one that is there now? How about a carbon fiber deal?

And my stem question: Does anyone know how to adjust the angle on
these type of adjustable stems that come on a Raleigh hybrid? I have
tried and the only adjustment I can seem to make is the overall
height.
Here is a page with pictures of the stem and seatpost.
http://kcm-home.tripod.com/stem_seatpost.html

Ken

Those seatposts have quite a bit of play when new. The play won't affect
your ride too much unless it's causing control issues. At that point, if
you can replace it with a rigid seatpost, that would definitely solve the
play problem.

If you like the suspension action, spring for a Thudbuster seatpost at
http://www.thudbuster.com/products.html or order from your LBS. These don't
develop play like the one on your current bike, and since you're doing lots
of miles, an investment in a Thudbuster will be a fraction of a penny per
mile.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old November 30th 05, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Ken M kencmjr wrote:
Today while cleaning and checking my bike for things that may become
problems I noticed that the top part of the suspension seatpost seems to
have some rotational play on the post itself. It seems that it may need to
be replaced. Is this a common problem? The bike only has about 2000 miles on
it. Should I put a rigid post in place of the suspension one that is there
now? How about a carbon fiber deal?

And my stem question: Does anyone know how to adjust the angle on these type
of adjustable stems that come on a Raleigh hybrid? I have tried and the only
adjustment I can seem to make is the overall height.

Here is a page with pictures of the stem and seatpost.
http://kcm-home.tripod.com/stem_seatpost.html

Ken

Sometimes the knurled part of the post just below the rubber bellows can
be turned to take out play.

Old December 1st 05, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 15:42:51 -0500, "Ken M"
wrote:

Today while cleaning and checking my bike for things that may become
problems I noticed that the top part of the suspension seatpost seems to
have some rotational play on the post itself. It seems that it may need to
be replaced. Is this a common problem? The bike only has about 2000 miles on
it. Should I put a rigid post in place of the suspension one that is there
now? How about a carbon fiber deal?

And my stem question: Does anyone know how to adjust the angle on these type
of adjustable stems that come on a Raleigh hybrid? I have tried and the only
adjustment I can seem to make is the overall height.

Here is a page with pictures of the stem and seatpost.
http://kcm-home.tripod.com/stem_seatpost.html

Ken

Hi, on the stem, I assume that the height adjustment that you speak
of, comes from loosening the top bolt. Have you tried loosening the
bolt from the side?

It may just involve loosening the side bolts, or you may have to
remove them. Remove, reposition, and then re-insert.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old December 1st 05, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
Ken M kencmjr wrote:
Today while cleaning and checking my bike for things that may become
problems I noticed that the top part of the suspension seatpost seems to
have some rotational play on the post itself. It seems that it may need
to be replaced. Is this a common problem? The bike only has about 2000
miles on it. Should I put a rigid post in place of the suspension one
that is there now? How about a carbon fiber deal?

And my stem question: Does anyone know how to adjust the angle on these
type of adjustable stems that come on a Raleigh hybrid? I have tried and
the only adjustment I can seem to make is the overall height.

Here is a page with pictures of the stem and seatpost.
http://kcm-home.tripod.com/stem_seatpost.html

Ken

Sometimes the knurled part of the post just below the rubber bellows can
be turned to take out play.

Thanks for that tip. I had never even noticed that part "turned". Somehow it
had loosened up about 1 revolution or so. I tightened it up and all the play
seems to have disappeared.

Ken

Old December 1st 05, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Yeah by height I meant the adjustment made by loosening the center bolt.

It may just involve loosening the side bolts, or you may have to
remove them. Remove, reposition, and then re-insert.

I have tried loosening and removing the bolt from the right side of the
stem, and that does nothing. The funny looking nut that is recessed in the
left side does not seem to be removed easily. I have tried using the bolt
threaded into the nut from the left side and that does nothing. I don't want
to damage it.

Life is Good!
Jeff

FA: Thompson X4 Stem and Elite Seatpost Jordan Hukee Marketplace 0 October 11th 05 01:44 AM
Stem sizing question for bike fit experts [email protected] Techniques 4 September 2nd 05 10:15 PM
modolo X-TENOS stem question... Carl Techniques 1 April 21st 05 02:26 PM
Easton EA70 stem AC Techniques 10 November 17th 04 07:00 AM
Campagnolo 2004 seatpost question. Richard Sachs Techniques 2 May 15th 04 02:15 PM