Getting colder...

Old May 8th 06, 11:58 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Getting colder...

Ouch! Got off the bike this morning with what feels like frost-bite in
the toes. 1 degree at CBR airport by the time I'd showered and got the
computer booted up. Must have been well below zero when I left home.
Cripes that hurts! It can only get cooler from here on in. Can anyone
recommend any uber-booties to keep my tootsies warm on the way to work??

--
Bean "warmer"

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
Old May 9th 06, 01:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Bean Long wrote:
Ouch! Got off the bike this morning with what feels like frost-bite in
the toes. 1 degree at CBR airport by the time I'd showered and got the
computer booted up. Must have been well below zero when I left home.
Cripes that hurts! It can only get cooler from here on in. Can anyone
recommend any uber-booties to keep my tootsies warm on the way to work??

Neoprene (wetsuit!) overshoes are good. A bit clunky & heavy, but warm
as you could want.

I'm wearing a pair in this photo :

http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galler.../DSCF1352.html

BBB put their label on some, but they all probably come from the same
factory, many LBS's will carry them.

Poor Neil, no overshoes & no socks!

Old May 9th 06, 02:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle

I bought/use a pair of adidas "climaproof" booties
(http://www.adidas.com/verticals/cycling) because I was looking for
something a little thinner, less chunky than neoprene. Paid $80 at a
bike shop. Chose these over others because they appeared to be good
quality, mid-price in the range that the shop had. Yep, mid-price.

Very warm, windproof, water-repellant. Have never tested them to see
how wet they would get in pelting rain. Come up to your ankle, past
your sock. I'm very happy with them.

I wear these for very cold days (0-10 deg.C). Neoprene for cool days.

-Andres.

Old May 9th 06, 02:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Bleve wrote:
Bean Long wrote:

SNIP

I'm wearing a pair in this photo :

http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galler.../DSCF1352.html

Poor Neil, no overshoes & no socks!

Now that's a day for climbing and not descending!

DeF.

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.
Old May 9th 06, 02:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle

DeF wrote:
Bleve wrote:
Bean Long wrote:

SNIP

I'm wearing a pair in this photo :

http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galler.../DSCF1352.html

Poor Neil, no overshoes & no socks!

Now that's a day for climbing and not descending!

That was Mt Hotham, Nov '04, we rode from a ski lodge (the summit) to
Omeo & back (about 120km, 2,200m elevation gain in total).

Down below 1,300m it was clear and warm, but, as you can see, it sogged
out
Descending (the climb from Omeo has some undulations, some quite steep)
was .. yes ... entertaining

Old May 9th 06, 02:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-05-09, Bleve wrote:
Neoprene (wetsuit!) overshoes are good. A bit clunky & heavy, but warm
as you could want.

I now have this vision of me attaching cleats to my diving booties.

Wonder what the reaction of car drivers would be to somebody cycling
along in a drysuit. Never mind that I'd have serious trouble zipping the
damn thing up on my own, it's still an amusing thought. (Then there's
the point that I can't *afford* a drysuit to begin with ...)

Old May 9th 06, 02:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Bleve wrote:

Neoprene (wetsuit!) overshoes are good. A bit clunky & heavy, but warm
as you could want.

I'm wearing a pair in this photo :

http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galler.../DSCF1352.html

BBB put their label on some, but they all probably come from the same
factory, many LBS's will carry them.

Poor Neil, no overshoes & no socks!

Thanks Bleve. I'll check 'em out. I can almost sympathise with Neil.
That looks freakin' freazin'!!
--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
Old May 9th 06, 02:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-05-09, Bleve wrote:
Neoprene (wetsuit!) overshoes are good. A bit clunky & heavy, but warm
as you could want.

I now have this vision of me attaching cleats to my diving booties.

Wonder what the reaction of car drivers would be to somebody cycling
along in a drysuit. Never mind that I'd have serious trouble zipping the
damn thing up on my own, it's still an amusing thought. (Then there's
the point that I can't *afford* a drysuit to begin with ...)

I have an 8(!)mm neoprene drysuit I got cheap (used to work as a DM a
bit ... this was a demo/eval suit from memory). I think I've used it
twice.... Too bouyant by far. Membrane drysuits are much better -
consistant bouyancy no matter what depth you're at and layering to
control your insulation. I can't afford one of them, so it's the
trusty semidry for me

Old May 9th 06, 04:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Bean Long wrote:

Ouch! Got off the bike this morning with what feels like frost-bite in
the toes. 1 degree at CBR airport by the time I'd showered and got the
computer booted up. Must have been well below zero when I left home.
Cripes that hurts! It can only get cooler from here on in. Can anyone
recommend any uber-booties to keep my tootsies warm on the way to work??

Now here's a tip from an expert ... in tropical Qld ... I've been
working at the local milk depot in the evenings for about a year. It's
around 2-3 degrees consistently and I'm in the cold room for 6 to 8
hours at a time. I wear two pairs of thick woollen socks and a beanie.
Seems to do the job well.

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old May 9th 06, 04:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Peter McCallum wrote:
Bean Long wrote:

Ouch! Got off the bike this morning with what feels like frost-bite in
the toes. 1 degree at CBR airport by the time I'd showered and got the
computer booted up. Must have been well below zero when I left home.
Cripes that hurts! It can only get cooler from here on in. Can anyone
recommend any uber-booties to keep my tootsies warm on the way to work??

Now here's a tip from an expert ... in tropical Qld ... I've been
working at the local milk depot in the evenings for about a year. It's
around 2-3 degrees consistently and I'm in the cold room for 6 to 8
hours at a time. I wear two pairs of thick woollen socks and a beanie.
Seems to do the job well.

Hmmm... somehow I think that two pairs of woollen socks might make my
shoes a tight fit! Nice thought though.

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Does Colder Weather = Slower Biking, and if so, why? Colorado Bicycler General 24 December 23rd 05 11:51 PM
Dressing for 32-40F With Wind [email protected] General 19 November 12th 05 04:03 PM
Energy ration cards for everyone planned. iiiiDougiiii UK 87 July 31st 05 06:26 AM
Personal best (sort of) mark General 2 February 16th 04 01:55 PM
Colder Weather: Harder To Ride? (Pete Cresswell) Mountain Biking 23 December 31st 03 03:21 AM