Getting colder...

Old May 9th 06, 05:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Getting colder...

Using Neoprenes but...

last friday got caught in an absolute downpour.
Feet nice and warm/dry.
but after 30mins (I'm guessing) my feet/shoes were saturated.
I can only guess water had run down my (bare) legs and thru socks into
shoes.
Is there anyway to avoid this

--
flyingdutch

Old May 9th 06, 06:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle

flyingdutch wrote:
Using Neoprenes but...

last friday got caught in an absolute downpour.
Feet nice and warm/dry.
but after 30mins (I'm guessing) my feet/shoes were saturated.
I can only guess water had run down my (bare) legs and thru socks into
shoes.
Is there anyway to avoid this

Ahhh... beyond leaving the bike behind when it's raining???

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
Old May 9th 06, 06:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle

flyingdutch Wrote:
Using Neoprenes but...

last friday got caught in an absolute downpour.
Feet nice and warm/dry.
but after 30mins (I'm guessing) my feet/shoes were saturated.
I can only guess water had run down my (bare) legs and thru socks into
shoes.
Is there anyway to avoid this

Ditto standing around at the Farren collection + Goat with cold wet
wrinkled feet that started to cramp. Ouch! I was wearing thermals which
helped to wick off the moisture but alack, didn't help after a
southbound 246 bus threw a huge spray of water over me while cycling
down to Richmond. Solutions? Neoprene, silicon glue on the undersides
of the spd cleats or zipties around the ankles? Failing that, how about
using bushwalking/skiing gaiters?

--
cfsmtb

Old May 9th 06, 06:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-05-09, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)
Failing that, how about
using bushwalking/skiing gaiters?

And to ward off evil wetting busses, retractable alligators?

--
TimC
I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike.
Old May 9th 06, 06:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle

flyingdutch wrote:
Using Neoprenes but...

last friday got caught in an absolute downpour.
Feet nice and warm/dry.
but after 30mins (I'm guessing) my feet/shoes were saturated.
I can only guess water had run down my (bare) legs and thru socks into
shoes.
Is there anyway to avoid this

Gaffer tape around top of booties. If you haven't
shaved your legs, it might help to put some vaseline
under tape to aid removal at your destination!

Also, neoprene is not water proof. After long
exposure, you will get water seeping through.

DeF.

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.
Old May 9th 06, 07:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Tue, 09 May 2006 01:32:52 +0000, Stuart Lamble wrote:

Wonder what the reaction of car drivers would be to somebody cycling
along in a drysuit.

I have seen (in California) someone a good 20km from the nearest town
riding in ski style goggle and a full surfing wetsuit. It was ****ing down
at the time, but still a bizarre sight.

--
Dave Hughes |
"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Old May 9th 06, 12:42 PM posted to aus.bicycle

"Bean Long" wrote in message
Ouch! Got off the bike this morning with what feels like frost-bite in
the toes. 1 degree at CBR airport by the time I'd showered and got the
computer booted up. Must have been well below zero when I left home.
Cripes that hurts! It can only get cooler from here on in. Can anyone
recommend any uber-booties to keep my tootsies warm on the way to work??
--
Bean "warmer"

pfffttt......wait till it gets down to minus nine or so and then add a
40km/h wind chill factor when you go downhill!!!! I commuted in Canberra
for a year (about 18km each way) and never wore more than athletic socks and
normal bike shoes on my feet. The only exception to this was on a couple of
cold mornings when I was riding to work with a cast on my leg when I put a
cut-off old army socks over my toes to stop them from getting too cold.

If you feel cold, ride harder!!! The ice-cream headaches usually wear off
after about 10 minutes or so and then 10 minutes after that you will be
sweating (which may well freeze on your hair when you stop at lights!!). I
also never had anything on my head apart from a helmet (ie. no sooky la la
ear warmers or beanie).

Gags

Old May 9th 06, 01:13 PM posted to aus.bicycle

On Tue, 09 May 2006 13:52:21 +1000, Bean Long
wrote:

Hmmm... somehow I think that two pairs of woollen socks might make my
shoes a tight fit! Nice thought though.

I'm wearing MTB? socks, they are a bit denser than roadie socks.

Yeah, the cold arrived last night, not quite bite the base of my nails
cold but definitely time for more than fingerless gloves.

After trying lots of gloves through canberra winters I've finally
settled on wearing cheap knit gloves over the fingerless gloves.
Everything else has been too hot, too cold or too restrictive.
Old May 9th 06, 01:31 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Yes it is getting colder. Down to 20 overnight, no ceiling fan needed
and snuggle into a sheet.

Everyone has sort of touched on the wet feet problem I need to solve.
Dont need to keep my feet warm but need to keep them dry. The rain
here is warm and it comes down in bucket fulls. Stuff paper in wet
shoes but still wet a day later and then they go mouldy. Not a fashion
colour for the peleton.
All the adds I see on the net are for "warm as toast" booties but not
much mention or water proof. Some say water resistant but! Have even
thought of using thin dive booties and cutting holes for cleats.
Perhaps freezer bags and lackie bands? Sick of wet feet and wet green
shoes.
Any recomendations for Dry booties?

Commiserations to the Canberra crew. Stood around on Duntroon Parade
ground in minus whatever degrees for too many years. You know its too
cold when you see that the side drummer with a runny nose is drumming
away, nose running, and the dribbles are freezing on the drum skin and
then, you see that the little snot icicles are being "pinged" off the
drum skin all over the band and parade ground.

Cheers
Hugh

--
HughMann

Old May 9th 06, 03:20 PM posted to aus.bicycle

"flyingdutch" wrote:

I can only guess water had run down my (bare) legs and thru socks into
shoes.
Is there anyway to avoid this

I've had some success with BBB Waterflex overboots, with Netti overpants on,
overpants over top of the booties so water runs down the legs and off. Not
sure how long this would work, but I'd guess for a 1 hr commute it'd be OK.
Nettis do tend to sog out after 2-3 hours of rain on a longer ride.

We'll see how tomorrow pans out.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@

Does Colder Weather = Slower Biking, and if so, why? Colorado Bicycler General 24 December 23rd 05 11:51 PM
Dressing for 32-40F With Wind [email protected] General 19 November 12th 05 04:03 PM
Energy ration cards for everyone planned. iiiiDougiiii UK 87 July 31st 05 06:26 AM
Personal best (sort of) mark General 2 February 16th 04 01:55 PM
Colder Weather: Harder To Ride? (Pete Cresswell) Mountain Biking 23 December 31st 03 03:21 AM