Big Mechanical Failure....again

Old October 3rd 06, 01:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman

Default Big Mechanical Failure....again

Gags Wrote:
......snip

......... my chain had somehow sucked up on
itself but found that I had actually managed to pull the back wheel out
of
the dropouts. This is not the first time this has happened to me nor is
it
the first bike that it has happened on. I am running older styled steel
frame roadies with the dropouts that are sort-of inbetween vertical and
horizontal. As this has happened before, I always make sure that I do
up my
rear quick release skewer to the point that I am worried it is going to
break when I am actuating the lever to do it up.......not sure what
else I
can do to prevent this from happening???

Now I am a fairly big guy but surely I shouldn't be able to do this on
semi-regular basis??? I am thinking that I might have to come up with
some
sort of engineering solution to this problem that introduces some sort
of
positive mechanical lock on the dropouts (I am sure that someone is
going to
tell me to try vertical dropouts.....rolls eyes). The only other
solution I
can think of is to take to the surface of the dropouts where the skewer
sits
with some sandpaper or a file in order to rough it up some.

Anyone had this problem and, more importantly, anyone know how to fix
it???

Gags

not uncommon with steel frames using lesser quality QRs.

I had this prob once when an LBS nicked my new QRs and replaced 'em
with a Shimano cheapy and slippo.....grrr, they got what for and a few
neat referrals from me!!

I only use good sharp toothed Campagnolo lever action QRs, nothing
less, steel dropouts unlike Alum. resist the bite and need strong lever
pressure..you cant get that from the lesser types from cheapy shimano
models or the BBB ones that pop up aroud the traps, the lever designs
don't exert enough pressure on the cams for steel dropouts..

Campagnolo QRs for me on any steel bike. And check the bite, if it is
worn on your QR donate it to an Alloy drop out bike and get a new QR on
the steel.

--
rooman

Old October 3rd 06, 05:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Gemma_k

"flyingdutch" wrote in
message ...

can you get a couple of dem thingies that 'fixified riders use?

don't know the name (but i have em on my 'TB1' )

slip axle thru hole, adjust screws/threads from back which keep axle
distance steady from rear of dropouts.

"Chain Tugs"
Front the sound of it he's usnig the ones with closed backs though - won't
work.
Gemm

Old October 4th 06, 11:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Keogh

rooman wrote:

not uncommon with steel frames using lesser quality QRs.

I had this prob once when an LBS nicked my new QRs and replaced 'em
with a Shimano cheapy and slippo.....grrr, they got what for and a few
neat referrals from me!!

I only use good sharp toothed Campagnolo lever action QRs, nothing
less, steel dropouts unlike Alum. resist the bite and need strong lever
pressure..you cant get that from the lesser types from cheapy shimano
models or the BBB ones that pop up aroud the traps, the lever designs
don't exert enough pressure on the cams for steel dropouts..

Campagnolo QRs for me on any steel bike. And check the bite, if it is
worn on your QR donate it to an Alloy drop out bike and get a new QR on
the steel.

Leads to a confession of an "embarrassing moment" for me...
We lived in Wagga Wagga Wagga, and I worked at what is now Charles Sturt
Uni. I used to ride to work on some days. Anyway I had done a major
overhaul on the wife's bike and I decided, even though it was too small
for me, to ride it out and back to work to iron any kinks out.

So on the way home I came to the intersection just north of the bridge
over the river, and I had been lazing along in a low gear. So at the
t-turn I had to wait for a gap in the traffic on the Olympic Way...
track standing ... track standing ... trackstanding ... a gap! So I put
the boot in, and WHACK!!!!! the rear wheel pulled out of the dropouts,
and slammed into the seat tube (Reynolds 531)so hard that it put a 2"
ding in the wheel. Unrideable. Carry bike home. Explain to wife. All my
fault. Didn't do up the QR tight enouth. Sob.

Another rim failure - MA3 dkahn400 UK 17 May 26th 06 06:26 PM
Long-reach dual-pivot brakes: Different mechanical ratios across different makes? Mykal Techniques 9 August 12th 05 09:08 AM
Mechanical engineers in bike industry Mike V Techniques 77 December 8th 04 12:43 PM
XTR brake levers with Avid mechanical disk brakes nmpub Techniques 1 February 8th 04 03:14 PM