Coaster brake - opinions?

Old March 6th 07, 12:31 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Adam F[_3_]

Default Coaster brake - opinions?

Hello all,

I've converted an old cromoly MTB for street use, with 1.5in slicks and
just the one speed

Now that I've started down the minimalist route, I'm thinking about
getting rid of the brakes/levers. They (circa 1993 Alivio M-brakes) are
pretty sh*tty anyway.

I'm hesitating to go with just the coaster brake though, having read
sheldon brown's advice to have a backup for when e.g. the chain fails
(which is a distinct possibility since I broke mine to make it into a
single speed).

What do y'all reckon - coaster brake but retain front M-brake? If it
helps, I just use it to commute in Canberra and my route has hardly any
downhill so I'm never traveling really fast.

Oh and finally, does anyone know where to get a coaster brake 26"
ready-made wheel around here? NYC bikes do them of course, but the
shipping's a bit steep!

Cheers,

--
//Adam F
Old March 6th 07, 12:50 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Aeek

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 23:31:07 +1100, Adam F
wrote:

What do y'all reckon - coaster brake but retain front M-brake? If it
helps, I just use it to commute in Canberra and my route has hardly any
downhill so I'm never traveling really fast.

Oh and finally, does anyone know where to get a coaster brake 26"
ready-made wheel around here? NYC bikes do them of course, but the
shipping's a bit steep!

I'd try Bike Culture in O'Connor, seems like something they might do.
Old March 6th 07, 06:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Sheldon Brown

I've converted an old cromoly MTB for street use, with 1.5in slicks and
just the one speed

Now that I've started down the minimalist route, I'm thinking about
getting rid of the brakes/levers. They (circa 1993 Alivio M-brakes) are
pretty sh*tty anyway.

I'm hesitating to go with just the coaster brake though, having readsheldon brown'sadvice to have a backup for when e.g. the chain fails
(which is a distinct possibility since I broke mine to make it into a
single speed).

What do y'all reckon - coaster brake but retain front M-brake?

Most MTBs have vertical dropouts, so you can't use a coaster brake
with them. Note that you can't use a chain tensioner with a coaster
brake, because the top run of chain will go slack when you brake, and
then it is liable to fall off.

Here's my general anti-coaster-brake rant:

I strongly dislike coaster brakes.

They make it hard to get started from a stop, because there's no easy
way to rotate the pedals to a good starting position.

Using a coaster brake as the _only_ brake on a bike is dangerous,
because if the chain breaks or derails you have no backup system.

I have an old Elgin balloon tire clunker that I used to use for
grocery runs on occasion but I stopped because I found it so
inconvenient. In particular, there was one place where I usually had
to stop at a traffic light on a downgrade. I would need to keep a
foot on the back pedal to keep the bike from rolling forward while
waiting for the light to change, then when I would get the green, I
had to put that foot down and quickly put the other foot on the front
pedal (which was really at too low an angle to get a good first
stroke.) I hate coaster brakes.

Sheldon "Fixed Gear Is More Fun" Brown
| Most things having to do with fixed-gear/SS are bone stupid, |
| and folks who usually work on modern bikes aren't used to |
| thinking at that caveman level. -- Aaron Meberg |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old March 6th 07, 08:42 PM posted to aus.bicycle
gplama[_24_]

omg - someone summoned teh cycling jebus!

(Always good to see you here Sheldon!)

lama

--
gplama

Old March 6th 07, 09:47 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Joel Mayes

On 2007-03-06, Adam F wrote:
Hello all,

I've converted an old cromoly MTB for street use, with 1.5in slicks and
just the one speed

Now that I've started down the minimalist route, I'm thinking about
getting rid of the brakes/levers. They (circa 1993 Alivio M-brakes) are
pretty sh*tty anyway.

I'm hesitating to go with just the coaster brake though, having read
sheldon brown's advice to have a backup for when e.g. the chain fails
(which is a distinct possibility since I broke mine to make it into a
single speed).

I've got one bike with a coaster brake, it an old postie bike which I
use for shopping and pulling heavy loads. it works for me but is of
limited effectiveness i consider it a backup to the front back.

One day I'll braze canti bosses on to the rear triangle and put a proper
brake there.

Cheers

Joel
Old March 7th 07, 05:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Surly Dave

On Mar 6, 11:31 pm, Adam F wrote:
Hello all,

I've converted an old cromoly MTB for street use, with 1.5in slicks and
just the one speed
Now that I've started down the minimalist route, I'm thinking about
getting rid of the brakes/levers. They (circa 1993 Alivio M-brakes) are
pretty sh*tty anyway.

I'm hesitating to go with just the coaster brake though, having read
sheldon brown's advice to have a backup for when e.g. the chain fails
(which is a distinct possibility since I broke mine to make it into a
single speed).

I recently converted my Surly Long Haul Trucker to single speed and
have been thinking the same thing - that having 'clean' flat
handlebars would be a seriously cool minimalist look.

The chain tension issue is the killer, though you might be able to get
close enough using a half link. At present I'm using a fixed/free flip
flop White Industries Eccentric ENO hub to solve that problem. I
haven't been brave enough to go fixed on-road yet.

Then you've got the single brake issue. There's no law saying your
brake handle has to be mounted on the bars, if you're determined
enough you could probably mount a brake handle on the downtube or
seatpost to use in an emergency.

All that having been said, coaster brakes are *******s. I remember as
a kid having a truly stupendous accident I was never able to explain
at the bottom of a big hill which I blame on my coaster brake somehow
failing. Hello power pole, goodbye teeth. I'm not as bendy as I was
when I was a kid, I think I'll stick with the V-brakes.

Sheldon, if you're still following this thread, I hope you get well
soon.

cheers,

Dave.

www.aboutthebike.blogspot.com

Old March 7th 07, 12:24 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Adam F[_3_]

Sheldon Brown wrote:
[...]

Oh my...an unexpected treat logging on tonight

It's funny, all I can remember of coaster brakes is doing the most
beautiful long slides on dirt with my BMX. Then again, at age 10 you
don't have as far to fall, you heal faster and - crucially - you have a
lot less weight to stop.

Maybe I should just quit trying to relive my youth...g

--
//Adam F
Old March 7th 07, 11:16 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Surly Dave

Maybe I should just quit trying to relive my youth...g

No, you relive you youth. Let us know how it goes. If you survive six
months, I might be brave enough to give it a go!

Old March 7th 07, 11:16 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Surly Dave

Maybe I should just quit trying to relive my youth...g

No, you relive your youth. Let us know how it goes. If you survive six
months, I might be brave enough to give it a go!

Old March 9th 07, 02:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
neverclimbed32[_2_]

I rode the 04 ASSC with a coaster brake. It was a blast.

--
neverclimbed32