Thinking of getting a GPS cycle computer

Old March 18th 07, 11:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Paul Yates

Default Thinking of getting a GPS cycle computer

Not that I need to upgrade except for the wow factor. I am looking at a
Garmin 305 cycle computer and currently use a Polar 720i. Does anyone know
if I can suck all of my polar harm files from the precision performance
software to whatever it is Garmin uses for thier computer? If this can be
done, its it on a file by file basis, or can it be done as a batch (as I
have about 6 year's worth of data I would have to transfer).

Happy trails

Old March 18th 07, 12:42 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Parbs

Paul Yates wrote:
Does anyone know
if I can suck all of my polar harm files from the precision performance
software to whatever it is Garmin uses for thier computer?

No idea, but the Garmin software is probably best described as ordinary.
I know quite a few users that even with the Garmin prefer to use the
Polar HRM for their HR and just use the Garmin for its mapping features

Parbs

Old March 18th 07, 01:23 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Friday

Parbs wrote:
Paul Yates wrote:
Does anyone know if I can suck all of my polar harm files from the
precision performance software to whatever it is Garmin uses for thier
computer?

No idea, but the Garmin software is probably best described as ordinary.
I know quite a few users that even with the Garmin prefer to use the
Polar HRM for their HR and just use the Garmin for its mapping features

Parbs

The garmin training software is pretty clunky. The latest version of
Google earth saves pulse data as well as trip data bit doesn't tell you
about zones and so on. Do you really need to transport your data across?
Might be better to use some other software, or may take the garmin
software to polar database.

I have a 305.

Friday
Old March 21st 07, 11:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Andrew Price[_2_]

Paul wrote
Not that I need to upgrade except for the wow factor.

Having tried various gps devices for different applications, the one I like
best is smallest practical with a street directory built in (such as a tom
tom one or similar).

Good for cycling, driving, or on foot when tootling to bits of the world you
ain't bin befer - if you put a 4gig mem card you can fit on it the roads of
Oz, the US/Canada and western Europe on the one card which will cater for a
fair bit of touring.

Works fine in a jersey pocket if you don't want to get cracks from your
mates in the bunch about needing to check your email while riding (if not on
handlebars, can consult slyly when debate rages about where the True Path
lies and thereby acquire undeserved reputation as having a natural bush
sense of direction).

Surprised how much use the family gets out of it - in strange cities, well
worth the $ imho, esp since you can use it in a great many forms of
transport and knowing when to get off freeways in strange cities is rather
useful.

Wouldn't bother with a cycling specific version though - as the prophet
said, the Way lies through less instruments, not more, grasshopper.

hope that helps - Andrew

Old March 21st 07, 02:33 PM posted to aus.bicycle
peterlip[_2_]

Paul Yates Wrote:
Not that I need to upgrade except for the wow factor. I am looking at a
Garmin 305 cycle computer and currently use a Polar 720i. Does anyone
know
if I can suck all of my polar harm files from the precision performance
software to whatever it is Garmin uses for thier computer? If this can
be
done, its it on a file by file basis, or can it be done as a batch (as
have about 6 year's worth of data I would have to transfer).

Happy trails
PI've had the Edge since July last year. Fantastic gadget.

Training center is OK, but not great. I'm almost certain you can't
import polar files. Although, the files you can import are essentially
XML, so you probably could write a program to convert your files if you
can code, and have a bit of time.

--
peterlip

Old March 22nd 07, 11:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
parawolf[_15_]

http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/wko/

One true tool?

nfi, never used it, but meets you 1/2 way between garmin and polar...

--
parawolf

Old March 22nd 07, 12:30 PM posted to aus.bicycle
ProfTournesol[_5_]

Paul Yates Wrote:
Not that I need to upgrade except for the wow factor. I am looking at a
Garmin 305 cycle computer and currently use a Polar 720i. Does anyone
know
if I can suck all of my polar harm files from the precision performance
software to whatever it is Garmin uses for thier computer? If this can
be
done, its it on a file by file basis, or can it be done as a batch (as
have about 6 year's worth of data I would have to transfer).

Happy trails

I've ordered one and await delivery. One can never have too many bike
toys:-)

--
ProfTournesol

Old March 22nd 07, 12:38 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Aeek

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 22:30:14 +1100, ProfTournesol
wrote:

I've ordered one and await delivery. One can never have too many bike
toys:-)

but if it means less bikes?
Old March 29th 07, 12:01 PM posted to aus.bicycle
ProfTournesol[_11_]

Paul Yates Wrote:
Not that I need to upgrade except for the wow factor. I am looking at a
Garmin 305 cycle computer and currently use a Polar 720i. Does anyone
know
if I can suck all of my polar harm files from the precision performance
software to whatever it is Garmin uses for thier computer? If this can
be
done, its it on a file by file basis, or can it be done as a batch (as
have about 6 year's worth of data I would have to transfer).

Happy trails

installed it (tying on 2 cable ties) and out on the road, no wheel
calibration required. So far pretty cool, can't say the same for the
Garmin software but at least there is a Mac version.

--
ProfTournesol

Cycle computer Gedr General 1 August 24th 06 12:52 PM
Cycle computer vs GPS steveyo Unicycling 25 February 19th 06 11:53 AM
Cycle computer Martin UK 14 September 16th 05 10:18 AM
Which cycle computers do not use coaxial wires? [was: Tandem trike - How to mount cycle computer?] FLM Recumbent Biking 6 September 19th 04 08:00 PM
Cycle Computer Andy Laycock UK 8 July 30th 03 07:51 PM