Bike tube etiquette

Old March 22nd 07, 10:04 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Default Bike tube etiquette

BrettS wrote:
gravelmuncher wrote:

However, if I only had 1 spare (as is usually the case) i'd let them
use my phone to call someone. If they're too damn careless to carry
a spare tube, then i'm not gonna donate mine.

I agree. Of course, I would offer them the use of my puncture kit.

Agreed. I've done this several times, even repaired a puncture for a person
who had no idea how. I have never given away my spare tube.

Mind you, walking home when you've got a flat and no spare is
character building.

Been there. It was dark and I ran over some small sharp metal bits (not sure
what they were) and both tyres went flat. I pulled them both out but had
multiple punctures in both tubes and only one spare. I was about 5 kms from
home with no mobile phone. This was in the late '80s when mobile phones were
for the ultra rich yuppies who had the strength to carry one.

You'll never die of too much character...

It was close. :-)

Theo

Old March 23rd 07, 01:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

Travis wrote:
When a stranded cyclist asks if you have a spare tube, and you do, and
you're far from anywhere, of course the right thing to do is give them
a tube rather than leaving them stranded or having to walk a long
distance home...

But tubes cost money. As a random act of kindness I suppose its a
minor expense though and I wouldn't demand money up front from a
stranded cyclist.

But when the person pulls out their tire changing tools, and among
them is a bag of coins with maybe $20, is it then generally ok, if
they haven't already volunteered, as the person the other day didn't,
to ask for a few bucks to cover the cost of the tube you've just given
them?

Am I just being a scrooge here or would most people tactfully ask for
an "at cost" payment for the tube they are offering? Does it make any
difference if the person asking for a tube is on a bling racing bike
in full cycling regalia, as opposed to some wretched looking schmo on
a rusty mountain bike...

Travis (who didn't ask for payment, and is a bit annoyed he wasn't
offered any!)

Well, I've given away several tubes over the years. The only
ones that have come back are the ones I gave to people that I
knew.

Am I worried? Nah, someone will help me out one day. Even then,
I'd probably try and get them a replacement by some method. Why?
Because it seems to be the right thing to do.

DeF.

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.
Old March 23rd 07, 03:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duncan

You can always pass on that manky spare that has had one-too-many
patches and really is at the end of its life. Conveniently avoids the
problem: you don't feel like your losing out, they don't feel
embarrased about it being some big expense.

Old March 23rd 07, 04:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Mar 22, 6:10 pm, "Travis" wrote:
When a stranded cyclist asks if you have a spare tube, and you do, and
you're far from anywhere, of course the right thing to do is give them
a tube rather than leaving them stranded or having to walk a long
distance home...

I don't think it's the "right" thing to do. "Generous" yes, but I
don't see how someone else is entitled to my property because they
weren't smart enough to take their own. I might have need of that
tube, which is why I'm carrying it in the first place.

But tubes cost money. As a random act of kindness I suppose its a
minor expense though and I wouldn't demand money up front from a
stranded cyclist.

I would. If I were the stranded cyclist I would insist on paying.

But when the person pulls out their tire changing tools, and among
them is a bag of coins with maybe $20, is it then generally ok, if
they haven't already volunteered, as the person the other day didn't,
to ask for a few bucks to cover the cost of the tube you've just given
them?

Yep. They *owe* you. They have deprived you of your property because
of their own foolishness.

Am I just being a scrooge here

Absolutely not.

or would most people tactfully ask for
an "at cost" payment for the tube they are offering?

Well in most cases I wouldn't even give them a tube, unless I was very
close to my destination anyway, and even then I'd ask them to pay for
it.

Does it make any
difference if the person asking for a tube is on a bling racing bike
in full cycling regalia, as opposed to some wretched looking schmo on
a rusty mountain bike...

Nope

Travis (who didn't ask for payment, and is a bit annoyed he wasn't
offered any!)

As you should be. That person is an ungrateful bludger.

Old March 23rd 07, 11:32 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-03-23, (aka Bruce)
On Mar 22, 6:10 pm, "Travis" wrote:
When a stranded cyclist asks if you have a spare tube, and you do, and
you're far from anywhere, of course the right thing to do is give them
a tube rather than leaving them stranded or having to walk a long
distance home...

I don't think it's the "right" thing to do. "Generous" yes, but I
don't see how someone else is entitled to my property because they
weren't smart enough to take their own. I might have need of that
tube, which is why I'm carrying it in the first place.

You may need that tube.

But the probability of you needing one tube, it failing, and needing
another tube is about the same as you giving the first tube to someone
else, then subsequently needing it yourself.

It's a very small chance. That's why you don't take 2 tubes around
with you all the time. It's only going to be the one trip that you
will have to forgo a spare tube, and the chances of a failure in a
single trip are relatively small.

If it worries you, carry a repair kit.

But when the person pulls out their tire changing tools, and among
them is a bag of coins with maybe $20, is it then generally ok, if
they haven't already volunteered, as the person the other day didn't,
to ask for a few bucks to cover the cost of the tube you've just given
them?

Yep. They *owe* you. They have deprived you of your property because
of their own foolishness.

Or circumstances. Perhaps they were in the situation above, and
didn't feel the need to repair the first tube, then decided before
getting home that they were still fresh and went off an another 100km
leg, forgetting to stop off at shops first.

Am I just being a scrooge here

Absolutely not.

But you are.

Travis (who didn't ask for payment, and is a bit annoyed he wasn't
offered any!)

As you should be. That person is an ungrateful bludger.

I read a post a few days ago in another froup:

I occasionally deliver pizzas. I'm sure that nobody here will be
surprised to learn that it is the poor-looking places that tip the
most.

Say. Are you rich?

--
TimC
Just keep in mind that when you are using TRANSFER, you are not
Old March 24th 07, 12:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tex

On 2007-03-23, (aka Bruce)
On Mar 22, 6:10 pm, "Travis" wrote:
[...]

Why aren't *they* carrying a repair kit?

But when the person pulls out their tire changing tools, and among
them is a bag of coins with maybe $20, is it then generally ok, if
they haven't already volunteered, as the person the other day didn't,
to ask for a few bucks to cover the cost of the tube you've just given
them?

Yep. They *owe* you. They have deprived you of your property because
of their own foolishness.

Or circumstances. Perhaps they were in the situation above, and
didn't feel the need to repair the first tube, then decided before
getting home that they were still fresh and went off an another 100km
leg, forgetting to stop off at shops first.

None of which is my fault. So, how exactly am I obligated to give them my
property for free because they didn't prepare properly?

Am I just being a scrooge here

Absolutely not.

But you are.

How exactly?

Travis (who didn't ask for payment, and is a bit annoyed he wasn't
offered any!)

As you should be. That person is an ungrateful bludger.

I read a post a few days ago in another froup:

I occasionally deliver pizzas. I'm sure that nobody here will be
surprised to learn that it is the poor-looking places that tip the
most.

Say. Are you rich?

Nope....and I don't take things from other people and offer no compensation
in return.

Old March 24th 07, 01:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

Tex wrote:

Why aren't *they* carrying a repair kit?

Because there are a lot of gumby cyclists out there. You can either not
help them and say suffer in your jocks (and I'm wondering when was the
last time anyone heard that), or help them and suggest that in future
they carry a spare tube or repair kit.

DaveB
Old March 24th 07, 02:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Mar 24, 9:32 am, TimC -
astro.swin.edu.au wrote:

That's why you don't take 2 tubes around
with you all the time.
--

But I do! Ah, that explains why everyone is faster than me, that extra
100g!

No, seriously, half of the few punctures I get would come two at a
time, so I carry two tubes and some no-glue patches.

Donga

Old March 24th 07, 03:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-03-24, Donga (aka Bruce)
On Mar 24, 9:32 am, TimC -
astro.swin.edu.au wrote:

That's why you don't take 2 tubes around
with you all the time.

But I do! Ah, that explains why everyone is faster than me, that extra
100g!

No, seriously, half of the few punctures I get would come two at a
time, so I carry two tubes and some no-glue patches.

Being the person I am, I have two tubes, a repair kit, a big heavy
tool, and my wallet weighs 31 pounds.

I do leave my shifter at home these days.

--
TimC
Information wants to be beer, or something like that. --unknown
Old March 24th 07, 04:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
jazmo[_10_]

TimC Wrote:
a big heavy tool

Too much information.

--
jazmo

Road bike etiquette rowman UK 44 April 16th 06 06:31 PM
Tube etiquette Michael Warner Australia 48 July 22nd 05 12:41 PM
what is under the down tube of this bike? John Forrest Tomlinson Racing 15 July 18th 05 12:30 AM
Bottom bracket shell, head-tube tube, angles? Simon Brooke UK 13 June 3rd 05 06:19 PM
WTB: Cross bike, approx 51 seat tube, 53 top tube. the catfish Marketplace 0 May 8th 05 05:45 PM