Does Sydney have a chance?

Old May 22nd 07, 03:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PiledHigher

Default Does Sydney have a chance?

On May 22, 11:50 am, Duncan wrote:
On May 22, 9:22 am, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

In aus.bicycle on 21 May 2007 15:52:36 -0700

Duncan wrote:
yes.. but where is a cyclist holding up buses?

Out of peak hour.. there's mostly no bus lanes and the clearway is
full of parked cars, so the point is moot.

The proposal was to ban parking on the mainish suburban roads in the
hilly areas, the ones that carry a lot of traffic because they were
the "good" roads in horse drawn days - thus suitable for cyclists.

So no cars allowed to park, and if the bus lanes are permanent then no
cars in them either, so down from 2 lanes to 1 at all times. That's a
lot more congestion.

Bus lanes on all roads remember, not 3 lane ones. That's going to
make a lot more traffic for the bus to negotiate if it has to pass a
cyclist, and if we are talking that many roads we are not talking fast
cyclists, we are talking *all* cyclists.

ok.. now I understand. My apologies.

I really don't think buslanes are viable on all the roads in question.
I think banning parking is a good idea though.

Although I'd be pretty peeved if I lived on a main road and could no
longer park in front of my house.- Hide quoted text -

I love that circular thinking!

Car drivers complain about traffic congestion, suggest something that
would make a significant difference like reducing the amount of roads
blocked up by parked cars, oh no we can't get rid of those...

Old May 22nd 07, 03:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duncan

On May 22, 12:21 pm, TimC -
On 2007-05-22, Duncan (aka Bruce)

On May 22, 9:22 am, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
I really don't think buslanes are viable on all the roads in question.
I think banning parking is a good idea though.

Although I'd be pretty peeved if I lived on a main road and could no
longer park in front of my house.

I think all people should have provisions on their block of land for
parking, if they wish to park a vehicle. The state, and hence its
taxpayers, should not be forced for someone to have the privelege of
parking on public road. It's a mighty innefficient use of public
resources to have a private vehicle blocking that lane from productive
use.

and what do you propose we do with the tens of thousands of houses in
Sydney where there is no (and cannot be any) provision for parking?

Old May 22nd 07, 03:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Duncan wrote:
TimC wrote:

I think all people should have provisions on their block of land for
parking, if they wish to park a vehicle. The state, and hence its
taxpayers, should not be forced for someone to have the privelege of
parking on public road. It's a mighty innefficient use of public
resources to have a private vehicle blocking that lane from
productive use.

and what do you propose we do with the tens of thousands of houses in
Sydney where there is no (and cannot be any) provision for parking?

Sell them cheap to cyclists.

Theo

Old May 22nd 07, 04:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle
EuanB[_72_]

Duncan Wrote:

and what do you propose we do with the tens of thousands of houses in
Sydney where there is no (and cannot be any) provision for parking?

A new boom industry, underground parking for each home. That's what
they do in much of Europe (except they build houses properly from the
get go in much or Europe with handy things like underground garages and
cellars).

--
EuanB

Old May 22nd 07, 04:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 22 May 2007 10:53:20 +0800
Theo Bekkers wrote:
Duncan wrote:
TimC wrote:

I think all people should have provisions on their block of land for
parking, if they wish to park a vehicle. The state, and hence its
taxpayers, should not be forced for someone to have the privelege of
parking on public road. It's a mighty innefficient use of public
resources to have a private vehicle blocking that lane from
productive use.

and what do you propose we do with the tens of thousands of houses in
Sydney where there is no (and cannot be any) provision for parking?

Sell them cheap to cyclists.

Or motorcyclists. Most of them have room for a motorcycle at the
front.

If you can't park on your property than you can't have a car. As
those houses are all in the desirable inner suburbs they have heaps of
public transport available, and are well covered by car sharing
schemes too.

If it brings the value down, good oh - essential workers have a chance
of buying closer to work.

Zebee
Old May 22nd 07, 05:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Brendo

If you can't park on your property than you can't have a car. As
those houses are all in the desirable inner suburbs they have heaps of
public transport available, and are well covered by car sharing
schemes too.

If it brings the value down, good oh - essential workers have a chance
of buying closer to work.

Zebee

I'm with you Zebee. Introduce regulation such that said house has no
provision for parking either on the property or on the street. If you
want a car, make provisions for it to be housed elsewhere. Once you
get over the 'You can't tell me whether I can have a car or not'
you'll find a dozen other ways to get around and do what you need to
do.

Brendo

Old May 22nd 07, 05:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on 21 May 2007 21:01:41 -0700
Brendo wrote:

I'm with you Zebee. Introduce regulation such that said house has no
provision for parking either on the property or on the street. If you

Oh I don't mind if the room taken up is on their own property. just on
the public property.

Maybe someone can buy a couple of closed shops and build a parking
garage, 3 stories down, and 6 up. With a lift big enough for a car so
they don't need ramps.

Zebee
Old May 22nd 07, 07:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:

Sell them cheap to cyclists.

Or motorcyclists. Most of them have room for a motorcycle at the
front.

If you can't park on your property than you can't have a car.

Sounds good to me.

Theo

Old May 22nd 07, 09:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle
beerwolf[_2_]

EuanB wrote:

Duncan Wrote:

and what do you propose we do with the tens of thousands of houses in
Sydney where there is no (and cannot be any) provision for parking?

A new boom industry, underground parking for each home. That's what
they do in much of Europe (except they build houses properly from the
get go in much or Europe with handy things like underground garages and
cellars).

First, we'll have to eliminate all the heritage nazis in local council
urban planning departments. Otherwise, it's an excellent idea.

--
beerwolf
Old May 22nd 07, 10:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
beerwolf[_2_]

Theo Bekkers wrote:

I'd be very happy to support a special "bike please give way" audio
device that bus drivers could activate when a bike was holding them
up.

You mean like a siren? :-)

Theo
(No, not the kind that sings to sailors)

I was thinking of something more like the ding you hear when you're
blocking a Melbourne tram. But for recalcitrant cyclists in front of a bus,
who ignore the ding, we could equip buses with a followup - a forward
pointing cold water jet

--
beerwolf

Everyone need to give me a chance Froid Racing 1 August 2nd 06 01:59 AM
Fat chance Lisa Mountain Biking 5 September 26th 05 07:28 PM
doping and what -- no third chance? Jim Flom Racing 14 August 11th 04 04:51 PM
Your Chance to HELP Cyclists! Mark UK 22 May 5th 04 10:34 AM
Looking for a Fat Chance JC Mountain Biking 10 January 18th 04 05:25 PM