I was menaced... I think

Old May 28th 07, 05:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
OzCableguy

Default I was menaced... I think

Cresting a hill and picking up speed to around 30kph in a nice wide marked
shoulder at about 7.45 this morning past a primary school. Suddenly Mr green
commodore swerves sharply just in front of me and parks in my lane so I had
to brake suddenly and/or swerve around him into the general traffic.
As I pass by the driver's door I gave him a complimentary "nice one" and
continued on my way without giving it much more thought.
A couple of kms later there's a roundabout at the bottom of a hill where the
traffic feeds into the right hand lane to go straight through but there's a
left turn a bit further up so while a few people use the opportunity at the
roundabout to change to the left lane in anticipation, bikes are usually
travelling as fast as cars at that point and you've normally got the whole
lane to yourself anyway.
Well, I hear a noise as I enter the roundabout and my mirror reveals Mr
green commodore almost sideways entering behind me and swinging over to the
left to get on my tail. There's nowhere for me to go so he has to wait maybe
2 or 3 secs for the bike lane to begin again but that must be too long so I
get the engine revving bs as he stays about a metre from my wheel. Then as
I'm able to enter the bike lane he floors it around me and disappears in a
cloud of fumes. Wow! I was so impressed. I wished I could do that, but then
the whole incident was so pathetic I'm not even sure it was road rage. There
was no beeping or yelling obscenities out the window or anything. I've seen
scarier bunny wabbits... Maybe he was just having one of those moments where
you're running late and the whole universe seems to be out to slow you down.

But more importantly today: I actually could have used mudguards this
morning. Got home with a wet bum!

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Old May 28th 07, 07:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_225_]

OzCableguy Wrote:

But more importantly today: I actually could have used mudguards this
morning. Got home with a wet bum!

Have a look around for SKS guards.

As for Mr Green Dunnydoor, put it down to either alarm when off late/no
clean undies/kids ate the last wheatbix/kids used all the ho****er/last
of the Winnie blues was nicked by the eldest/general household
dysfunction. i.e.: their driving behaviour this morning has got nuttin'
to do with you.

--
cfsmtb

Old May 28th 07, 01:52 PM posted to aus.bicycle
OzCableguy

"cfsmtb" wrote in message

Have a look around for SKS guards.

I found some a bit like these - http://tinyurl.com/32ujsg from Anaconda for
around $20.00. They're groovy in that they hug the wheels unlike the dirt
bike style ones that look kewl but don't do jack that seem to be the most
popular on the shelves. These do the job well and they're quick release so I
can leave them off if I don't need them. Only bugbears are I have to drop
the front wheel off to attach/remove the front one and I couldn't be
bothered this morning because the roads appeared to be drying out, and the
rear one can slap the tyre if I hit a big enough bump.

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Old May 29th 07, 12:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
just us

I bought a pair something like that - thought they were great until I had my
bike on a trailer facing frontways and the blardy things broke off on the
trip home from Cooktown! Suggest that you remove them before putting them on
a bike rack or trailer
Kathy

Old May 29th 07, 07:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_229_]

just us Wrote:
I bought a pair something like that - thought they were great until I
had my bike on a trailer facing frontways and the blardy things broke
off on the trip home from Cooktown! Suggest that you remove them before
putting them on a bike rack or trailer

I've had similar mudguards and the slide mount bit either gets
stretched, fatigued and/or inadvertently kicked and hence they won't
remain attached. Traded up to SKS Bluemels & couldn't be happier with
their performance so far.

--
cfsmtb

Old May 31st 07, 01:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle
btc

In article ,
"OzCableguy" wrote:

snip
Well, I hear a noise as I enter the roundabout and my mirror reveals Mr
green commodore almost sideways entering behind me and swinging over to the
left to get on my tail.

snip

You know I used to think that there was something about Commodores that
brought out the worst in people. But then one time when I had a big off
whilst commuting to work a guy in a Commodore stopped and offered to
drive me home. He was even cool about the fact that I got blood on his
seat covers. So now I'm conflicted.