Cycle Tour - South Island of New Zealand - March 2008

Old September 26th 07, 01:04 PM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.soc
Andrew Priest

Default Cycle Tour - South Island of New Zealand - March 2008

G'day

This popped up on the Touring mailing list and thought it might
interest some folks here. It is a tour of part of the South Island in
New Zealand next year in March. I would love to do it personally but
will be there in January and somehow don't think I can get away with
two visits so close together.

Anyway the website can be found at
http://www.nomints.com/trips-2008-02...ike/Index.html

Regards
Andrew
-----
Churchlands, Western Australia
Giant CRX 1; Giant Boulder SE
http://aushiker.com http://www.bicyclewa.com.au/blog/8 http://backpackgeartest.org http://geocaching.com.au
Old September 27th 07, 04:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.soc
pdamm

Thanks for the post Andrew - it looks like a great tour and a great
source for other great tours in the future!

Peter Damm

Old September 27th 07, 09:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.soc
Peter Keller

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 20:04:49 +0800, Andrew Priest wrote:

G'day

This popped up on the Touring mailing list and thought it might interest
some folks here. It is a tour of part of the South Island in New Zealand
next year in March. I would love to do it personally but will be there
in January and somehow don't think I can get away with two visits so
close together.

Anyway the website can be found at
http://www.nomints.com/trips-2008-02...ike/Index.html

Regards
Andrew
-----
Churchlands, Western Australia
Giant CRX 1; Giant Boulder SE
http://aushiker.com http://www.bicyclewa.com.au/blog/8
http://backpackgeartest.org http://geocaching.com.au

I note the word "helmet" is found nowhere on the website.
This is dishonest.
I think prospective tourers should be made aware of the helmet law which
applies in NZ, so that they can be forewarned, and those who would not
tour if they had to wear a helmet could be alerted before they made the
expensive trip.

Peter

The Kiwi bird is very aptly New Zealand's national emblem.
It is a bird which cannot fly.
It only comes out at night.
It has nostrils at the end of its long beak, and
It is always poking its nose into things.

Old September 27th 07, 09:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.soc
Andrew Priest

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 08:20:19 +0000 (UTC), Peter Keller
wrote:

I note the word "helmet" is found nowhere on the website.
This is dishonest.
I think prospective tourers should be made aware of the helmet law which
applies in NZ, so that they can be forewarned, and those who would not
tour if they had to wear a helmet could be alerted before they made the
expensive trip.

Hi Peter

With the greatest respect, saying this is dishonest, unless you know
the specifics provided about the tour, is well pretty rich IMO and
really unnecessary.

It does make it clear that you have to "'apply" to go on a tour and
that you have to agree to the requirements.

Given helmets are required in NZ I assume that would be one of the
requirements. Don't you think? Of course I could be wrong, but given
the guy has toured there before, I would expect this information to be
provided as part of the detail.

From reading the website it is very clear that you need to contact
them for full details (the website clearly does not provide all the
details), provide information about yourself etc before confirming to
the tour.

Regards
Andrew

-----
Old September 27th 07, 11:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.soc
Donga

On Sep 27, 6:20 pm, Peter Keller wrote:
[...]

Peter I'd better warn you that if you ever come riding in Australia,
not only will you need to wear a helmet, but you will need to buy it
here. The law is that the helmet must meet the Australian Standard,
and that means it will have a little shiny sticker. Exactly the same
helmet, which you can buy in the UK for around half the price, is not
good enough. Doubly ripped off? I'll say.

Old September 27th 07, 12:35 PM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.soc
Dorfus Dippintush

Donga wrote:
[...]

Unless you're doing an Ironman triathlon, in which case you may wear a
helmet which meets the Ironman helmet standards of that country, (which
are normally that of the national standard.)

Dorfus
Old September 28th 07, 08:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.soc
Peter Keller

wrote:

[...]

From reading the website it is very clear that you need to contact them
for full details (the website clearly does not provide all the details),
provide information about yourself etc before confirming to the tour.

Regards
Andrew

There is a section on bike equipment and clothing. Helmets not
mentioned.
There are lots of people in the rest of the world who may be interested
in these tours, but not if they have to wear a helmet. Such (and all)
people are entitled to early relevant information.
Australians and NZ'ers know about the strange situation existing in our
countries regarding bicycling laws, but we two countries are the odd ones
out. People coming from the rest of the world have to be made aware of
this fact.
In New Zealand the official line is the dishonest one, that helmets
should not be mentioned in any bicycling promotions. This is to try and
undo the impression that bicycling is excessively dangerous; so much so
that one must wear a helmet by law.

Peter

Old October 3rd 07, 02:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.soc
Andrew Priest

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 07:54:46 +0000 (UTC), Peter Keller
wrote:

There is a section on bike equipment and clothing. Helmets not
mentioned.

Care to provide the link? I can't find it and can't find anything
related to this proposed trip other than having to contact them for
further details.

Regards
Andrew
-----
Old October 4th 07, 08:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.soc
Peter Keller

wrote:

There is a section on bike equipment and clothing. Helmets not
mentioned.

Care to provide the link? I can't find it and can't find anything
related to this proposed trip other than having to contact them for
further details.

http://www.nomints.com/trips-2008-02...ike/Index.html
About 1/3 of the way down in a section marked Equipment:

I agree the site is very sparse on specifics. And I am concerned that
what an Australian or NZer would find essential for bike touring and
therefore not worthy of further thought, may not coincide with what an
European, say, would find essential. But perhaps caveat emptor? it is up
to the rest of the world to try and inform themselves of the peculiar
conditions pertaining to bicycle touring in our countries?

Peter

Old October 4th 07, 11:36 PM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.soc
Andrew Priest

wrote:

http://www.nomints.com/trips-2008-02...ike/Index.html
About 1/3 of the way down in a section marked Equipment:

Thanks. I agree this section should mention helmets given the other
general nature.

Andrew
-----