Another reason to avoid critical mass...

Old May 26th 08, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Brent P

Default Another reason to avoid critical mass...

On 2008-05-25, Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Brent P writes:

AISI, in some ways bicycle Critical Mass is a
mirror-reflection of drivers' behaviours, right
back in their faces. C-M informs drivers of their
own inflictions and afflictions upon people.
Apparently drivers don't like the taste of their
own medicine.

It's the GWB policy of mirroring the terrorism to an entire population
that superficially looks like the terrorists. And surprise, all it does
is anger people and increase the ranks of terrorists.

Critical Mass participants by 'n large aren't terrorists,
and don't give a rat's tukis about GWB policy. And certainly,
just anybody riding along and trying to get from A to B doesn't
care about politics either. They (we) just wanna safely get to B.

Talk about intentionally missing the point. Angering people who are not
your enemy does not help your cause.

As for people's anger, I guess it's up to the angry people
to explain their anger.

You are endorsing deliberately treating other people poorly and you
expect them to say 'yes sir, may I have another' and treat you with
kindness. That is absurd.

By taking the assholishness of *SOME* drivers and mirroring it to *ALL*
drivers what you end up doing is getting drivers that weren't a problem
to decide to mirror your assholishness back at all bicyclists.

No.
Some drivers aren't problems. They understand ROW rules,
and govern themselves accordingly.
Some drivers /are/ problems.

Critical mass and the views you've been putting forth do not separate
the two. You see someone driving and that's good enough to treat them
poorly, in the theme of group think.

CM is not
doing any good. It just convinces drivers who weren't a problem that
bicyclists deserve to be treated poorly.

Your 'us' vs. 'them' view simply creates a condition of perpetual 'war'.

It's hardly an us vs them view. Or maybe it is, when people
think in terms of who has more right to the urban streets by
dint of the size & weight and killing capacity of their vehicles.

I wish it wasn't us vs. them, I wish it was just "us".
As my grandmother would say: "If wishes were horses,
beggars would ride."

Your justifications are "us vs. them"

The problem drivers never vanish, the 'need' for bicycle activism
never disappears because CM and others are out there agitating people
who weren't a problem. Find some bees that were minding their own
business out in the woods not bothering you and wack their hive with a
stick because some bee stung you once.. That's essentially what CM is
doing.

No, it's much more than that.

The roving party/carnival is not material to the discussion.

****ing off lots of drivers to get back at a minority of the
them. It's stupid unless you're in the activism business and need to
keep an enemy around.

AISI, Critical Mass doesn't want enemies.

And yet it goes out of its way to make them.

If you really want to **** off the problem drivers, the thing to do is
ride 100% to the vehicle code.

If you really want to **** of a bunch of your fellow
human beans, the thing to do is drive a car in such
a manner that cuts them off from where they need to go.

LOL. And you think the half hour and longer traffic jams created by CM's
parade ignoring the red signals doesn't do that? They are making
enemies. You've de-humanized the person in the motor vehicle, classic.

I guess you don't even relate to the effect car drivers
have at intersections, where pedestrians should have the
right to go, but you're selfishly blocking their paths.
Or worse yet, threatening to run 'em over in right-on-red
jurisdictions.

I'm often the pedestrian. DUh. I had one guy stop his car and get out
because I didn't yield to grand-marquis.... lol... he was like 80 years
old too... then his brain started to function and decided it wasn't good
to pick a fight with someone bigger than him and less than half his age
and doesn't need a moving living room to get from A to B.

I encourage you to consider the societal effects
of your own urban car-driving. You get to go,
and life is good. But you're in a stream of urban
car traffic that keeps non-driving others from being
able to cross the street you're on, so they could get
to the shops they want to patronize.

Lol. And one can just walk through a stream of bicyclists?

Actually, one can, and much more easily than through a
stream of MV drivers.

Nope. There's a reason you're not supposed to ride on sidewalks.

One's like CM
who don't even stop for red signals?

Ooh, you missed a light cycle? Heaven forbid.
That's what those goddam Emergency Response
Vehicles do to traffic, too (they cause you to
miss a light cycle.)
The horror. The horror.
Especially on the last Friday of the month
when yer impatiently lookin' forward to
seafood 'n nookie after work. Precious
seconds are lost.

As my Filipino friends say: "Life is hard." shrug

And you wonder why you aren't greeted with love and kisses. Guess what,
those are similiar sentiments expressed by the drivers who've tried to
run me off the road and done other aggressive asshatery towards me while
I bike. It's the same thing... right down to the belitting of someone
not wanting to be delayed. Heaven forbid CM have to wait at a red
signal.... Many an assholish motorist figures since I am on a bicycle
that my time is meaningless. They gun it around me, slam on the brakes
and then don't accelerate when the light turns green. Like you say, CM
is a 'mirror' it's a mirror of assholes. ****ing off motorists who
aren't a problem to bicyclists. But later they may decided to mirror
CM's assholishness. I've encountered those people on the road. They feel
that treating me poorly as I bike is justified because some asshole on a
bicycle wronged them. Probably because some motorist wronged him.
Endless cycle. Perpetual war because of group think.

Old May 26th 08, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Brent P writes:

[...]

I don't wanna kiss you (or anyone) right now,
and I feel too good to argue. But I like & respect
you. I pretty much like & respect everybody.

Life is hard, but life is also good.

Not just when we recognize the goodness of life
for ourselves, but for other people.

Goodness Of Life is for people to have so we
can share it with each other, like in a global
picnic, and be drawn closer together, and work
together toward improving each others' lots.
(Yikes, I'm startin' to sound like a Rebbi!
Oh, well.)

The other option is dark and evil.
I prefer to avoid those squalid quarters.
That's why I've always refused to drive.
I consider myself blessed by not having
had to subjucate myself to, and suffer that
ignonimy of having stuff that works for /me/,
while simultaneously working against others.

Assholes often have people attached to 'em.

I like people.

It would appear our attitudes differ a little.
Oh, well.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Old May 26th 08, 05:09 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Brent P

On 2008-05-26, Tom Keats wrote:

It would appear our attitudes differ a little.
Oh, well.

You think that it's just 'revenge' to treat people badly based on them
looking like other people that treated you badly and I do not.

Old May 26th 08, 09:57 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats[_12_]

In article ,
On 2008-05-26, Tom Keats wrote:

It would appear our attitudes differ a little.
Oh, well.

You think that it's just 'revenge' to treat people badly based on them
looking like other people that treated you badly and I do not.

No I don't. And I'm not into treating people badly.
WTH does that come from?

Revenge is just a bunch o' barbaric razzmatazz.
We all know that.

FWIW I don't want to treat
anyone badly.

Do /you/ want to treat anyone badly?

I don't think you do.

But you sure have a hair up your ass about
percieved [mis]deeds of other people.

You should lighten up. All car drivers should.

Life is hard shrug ;-)

cheers,
Tom

Old May 26th 08, 11:02 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
PK[_2_]

"Tom Keats" wrote in message

You should lighten up. All car drivers should.

interesting generalization, ...." all car drivers....."?

pk

Old May 26th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Brent P

In article ,
On 2008-05-26, Tom Keats wrote:

It would appear our attitudes differ a little.
Oh, well.

You think that it's just 'revenge' to treat people badly based on them
looking like other people that treated you badly and I do not.

No I don't. And I'm not into treating people badly.
WTH does that come from?

You've endorsed 'mirroring' the worst behavior of motorists on all
motorists.

You should lighten up. All car drivers should.

You should grow a clue.

Old June 1st 08, 11:14 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
In article ,
On 2008-05-26, Tom Keats wrote:

It would appear our attitudes differ a little.
Oh, well.

You think that it's just 'revenge' to treat people badly based on them
looking like other people that treated you badly and I do not.

No I don't. And I'm not into treating people badly.
WTH does that come from?

You've endorsed 'mirroring' the worst behavior of motorists on all
motorists.

You should lighten up. All car drivers should.

You should grow a clue.

I've already grown several.

The primary one is that I like people,
and don't consider 'em as enemies or
out to deliberately sabotage my lines
of travel.

It is you carheads who coined the
self-applied MFFY acronym. And
rightly so. Perhaps that's something
to ponder.

Selfishness is the worst behaviour of anybody.
"Mirroring" is just a lame rationalization for
selfishness.

Y'know why we have laws? It's because so many
people are selfish. It's an innate human flaw
that will ultimately cause our demise. We're
all a bunch of self-serving, disgusting pigs.
Unless we make the effort to not be so.

cheers,
Tom

Old June 1st 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Matthew T. Russotto

In article ,
Tom Keats wrote:

The primary one is that I like people,
and don't consider 'em as enemies or
out to deliberately sabotage my lines
of travel.

[...]
Y'know why we have laws? It's because so many
people are selfish. It's an innate human flaw
that will ultimately cause our demise. We're
all a bunch of self-serving, disgusting pigs.

Yeah. A real lover of humanity you are.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old June 1st 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Brent P

On 2008-06-01, Tom Keats wrote:

The primary one is that I like people,
and don't consider 'em as enemies or
out to deliberately sabotage my lines
of travel.

Yet you consider it perfectly acceptable to **** other people off
because they don't do as you do.

It is you carheads who coined the
self-applied MFFY acronym. And
rightly so. Perhaps that's something
to ponder.

"carheads" This paragraph demonstrates you were lying in the previous
one.

Selfishness is the worst behaviour of anybody.
"Mirroring" is just a lame rationalization for
selfishness.

Your argument was that CM is 'mirroring'. Now you go against your own
argument. You are appearing more like a troll with every post Tom.

Y'know why we have laws? It's because so many
people are selfish. It's an innate human flaw
that will ultimately cause our demise. We're
all a bunch of self-serving, disgusting pigs.
Unless we make the effort to not be so.

CM should follow the vehicle code wrt right of way.