NYDN\Sean Bell protest may slow city traffic (NYC Critical Mass)

Old May 30th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles
Jym Dyer

Default NYDN\Sean Bell protest may slow city traffic (NYC Critical Mass)

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...ll_protest_may
_slow_city_traffic-2.html

Sean Bell protest may slow city traffic
BY TAMER EL-GHOBASHY and CORKY SIEMASZKO
New York Daily News | Friday, 30-May-2008, 4:00 AM

Friday night's commute could be hell on wheels.

The Rev. Al Sharpton has enlisted the help of hundreds of
bicyclists to stage a traffic "slowdown" - around the time many
New Yorkers are heading home for the weekend - to protest the
Sean Bell trial verdict.

Critical Mass, a loosely organized group that does monthly bike
rides to promote alternative forms of transportation and other
causes, will meet at Union Square at 7 p.m. and fan out through
Manhattan from there, organizers said.

"Al will be riding, too," said Michael Hardy, a lawyer for
Bell's fiancee, Nicole Paultre Bell. "So will Nicole. And
everybody will be wearing 'I Am Sean Bell' T-shirts."

Earlier this month, hundreds of Bell supporters tried to shut
the city down by blocking bridge and tunnel entrances to protest
the acquittal of three cops who killed the 23-year-old man in a
50-bullet barrage on his wedding day.

Police arrested 200 protesters, including Sharpton, Paultre Bell
and the two survivors of the shooting, Trent Benefield and
Joseph Guzman.

Detectives Marc Cooper, Gescard Isnora and Michael Oliver,
who were acquitted on April 25, have since been hit with NYPD
disciplinary charges. They remain on modified duty.
Old June 1st 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles
Jym Dyer

=v= It was thought that Al Sharpton would be a pedicab
passenger, but instead he pedaled a bike last night!
_Jym_

Old June 29th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles
Dane Buson

Jym Dyer wrote:
=v= It was thought that Al Sharpton would be a pedicab
passenger, but instead he pedaled a bike last night!

Any pictures of said velo-progression of Al? I have to admit, I'm
always interested in seeing celebs getting about by bikes.

--
Dane Buson -
A clean desk is a sign of an empty mind.
Old June 30th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles
Jym Dyer

=v= It was thought that Al Sharpton would be a pedicab
passenger, but instead he pedaled a bike last night!

Any pictures of said velo-progression of Al? I have to admit,
I'm always interested in seeing celebs getting about by bikes.

http://www.streetsblog.org/2008/06/0...ccountability/

http://bikeblog.blogspot.com/2008/06...ical-mass.html

_Jym_