windy everywhere this year?

Old June 7th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default windy everywhere this year?

On Jun 6, 3:17*pm, "Pat" wrote:
I can't afford a better bike nor a membership at some fancy-schmantzy
gym, but I'm trying as hard as I can to get more fit. *So when the
wind blows, instead of cursing it, I've decided that it is my friend,
providing a more rigorous workout for me at no extra cost.
ABS

I agree--with limits. Crosswinds are dangerous when they're gusting.

Also, the YMCA and "my" gym, 24 Hour Fitness, only cost $45 a month
including taxes. If a gym doesn't cost more than the YMCA, I don't consider
it "fancy-schmantzy" (is that a word?)....but, yeah, I try to hike, bike,
and swim. Since I don't have a pool, I have to "borrow" one....

And, I demand! Yes, Demand! "wind credit".

I just haven't figured out how to tabulate it, yet.

Pat in TX

45 * 12 = $540 or more than I paid for my bike.
Nope, I'll stick with the bike and the wind.
ABS
Old June 7th 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_10_]

And, I demand! Yes, Demand! "wind credit".

I just haven't figured out how to tabulate it, yet.

I think I see a commercial possibility.

IIRC, one can buy cyclometers that measure the total amount of
climbing one has done during a ride. But since the wind is the main
resistance to most people's cycling, we need a cyclometer that
measures the total distance we ride through the air, in addition to
the total distance we cover on the ground. IOW, we need to measure
the length of the airstream passing the cyclometer.

Sounds like a job for Avocet! (Are they still in business?)

- Frank Krygowski

You left out the time factor. Time seems to slow down when one rides in a
headwind.

Pat in TX

Old June 7th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_10_]

Also, the YMCA and "my" gym, 24 Hour Fitness, only cost $45 a month
including taxes. If a gym doesn't cost more than the YMCA, I don't
consider
it "fancy-schmantzy" (is that a word?)....but, yeah, I try to hike, bike,
and swim. Since I don't have a pool, I have to "borrow" one....

Pat in TX

45 * 12 = $540 or more than I paid for my bike.
Nope, I'll stick with the bike and the wind.
ABS

You sir, are not a swimmer.

Pat in TX

Old June 7th 08, 11:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
max

In article
,
wrote:

On Jun 6, 3:17*pm, "Pat" wrote:
[...]

Y'know....

After a certain point in headwinds, you're basically deaf from wind
noise. I'm guessing it's in the 30+ mph windspeed range.

At some point it makes good sense to stick in a pair of ... earphones
and enjoy a little music, since you can't hear jack **** behind you
anyway. With the right earphones, the noise level in your ears will
drop several dB.

Protect your hearng from high dB broadband flow noise, enjoy a little
Metallica/B52s/Wagner/Streisand, lock-up your cadence and fuggetaboutda
wind -- what's not to like?

..max
first person to say "get hit by a car" rides teh retard bus.

--
This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.
Old June 8th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Patrick Lamb

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 18:16:49 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Jun 6, 6:17 pm, "Pat" wrote:

And, I demand! Yes, Demand! "wind credit".

I just haven't figured out how to tabulate it, yet.

I think I see a commercial possibility.

IIRC, one can buy cyclometers that measure the total amount of
climbing one has done during a ride. But since the wind is the main
resistance to most people's cycling, we need a cyclometer that
measures the total distance we ride through the air, in addition to
the total distance we cover on the ground. IOW, we need to measure
the length of the airstream passing the cyclometer.

Sounds like a job for Avocet! (Are they still in business?)

Even if they are, you could only order the new cyclometer if the
certified check arrives at their office between 11:30-12:45 on the
second and third Thursdays of even-numbered months, or 1:25-2:15 on
the first and fourth Tuesdays of odd numbered months.

Email address works as is.
Old June 8th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jorg Lueke

It gusted up to 51mph on Thursday and 35mph on Friday here in Eastern
Minnesota

Old June 8th 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
max writes:

45 * 12 = $540 or more than I paid for my bike.
Nope, I'll stick with the bike and the wind.
ABS

Y'know....

After a certain point in headwinds, you're basically deaf from wind
noise. I'm guessing it's in the 30+ mph windspeed range.

At some point it makes good sense to stick in a pair of ... earphones
and enjoy a little music, since you can't hear jack **** behind you
anyway. With the right earphones, the noise level in your ears will
drop several dB.

Protect your hearng from high dB broadband flow noise, enjoy a little
Metallica/B52s/Wagner/Streisand, lock-up your cadence and fuggetaboutda

%%%%%%%%%

wind -- what's not to like?

I dunno, I've always found appreciation of the Arts is
best accomplished while stationary.

Why not talk about how to enjoy a good filet mignon
while riding?

When people talk about listening to music without
actually experiencing it, they're really talking
about their preference for background noise.

.max
first person to say "get hit by a car" rides teh retard bus.

^^^^^^^^^^

Is that the bus that takes raw recruits who wanna defend the
Free World from Iraq, to boot camp? Or does it contain
Babs' entourage? Or both?

And what happens to people who say "get hit by a retard bus?"

I remember the days when certain people were referred-to
as "retards." That was back when post-war immigrants with
European accents were frequently referred-to as DPs.

As for headwinds, I've learned to not fight them as a foe
with whom to do battle. I still get around almost as fast,
but I don't end up feeling so beaten up.

cheers,
Tom

--
People, people who love people
are the lovliest people in the world ...

Old June 8th 08, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_10_]

I dunno, I've always found appreciation of the Arts is
best accomplished while stationary.

Why not talk about how to enjoy a good filet mignon
while riding?

When people talk about listening to music without
actually experiencing it, they're really talking
about their preference for background noise.

I've not talked about eating while riding, but I sure have thought about it
and planned for it. One year I spent the entire last half of the Hotter 'n'
Hell Hundred planning my after-ride meal down to the nth detail!

Pat in TX

Old June 9th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
dgk

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 21:43:14 -0500, "Pat" wrote:

Also, the YMCA and "my" gym, 24 Hour Fitness, only cost $45 a month
including taxes. If a gym doesn't cost more than the YMCA, I don't
consider
it "fancy-schmantzy" (is that a word?)....but, yeah, I try to hike, bike,
and swim. Since I don't have a pool, I have to "borrow" one....

Pat in TX

45 * 12 = $540 or more than I paid for my bike.
Nope, I'll stick with the bike and the wind.
ABS

You sir, are not a swimmer.

Pat in TX

They just opened up a new municipal pool near me:
http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_about...pool_rink.html

It's actually three large pools side by side, diving, lap (10 lanes),
and general frolic. Indoor. The best part is that all you need is a
NYC recreation card, which, for folks 55 and older, is $10 per year.
My very first senior discount!

So, if the weather is so crappy that I don't want to ride the 15 mile
(each way) commute, I park my car by the park-and-ride near the park,
and go swimming on the way home. Either I bike or I swim, almost every
day.