Cycling not particularly dangerous [was Buses]

Old June 6th 08, 09:08 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
DennisTheBald

Default Cycling not particularly dangerous [was Buses]

In general I would say the Ed Dolan is on crack, but this is the day
that the sun shines on that dog's ass...

Cycling in NOT particularly dangerous.

Motor vehicles are inherently dangerous. In the US there are about
44,000 fatalities caused by motor vehicle collisions every year, very
few of these involve bikes, or peds, or horses or whatever else you
might imagine other than motor vehicles. A pretty good segment of
these fatal collisions involve only the one vehicle colliding with
something immobile like a bridge support or a tree or even just the
ground in an unusual direction. That's why we the people don't allow
kids and drunks to drive and require licensed operators to be
financially liable for the potential damage they are about to cause.

This number, 44,000 per annum, does NOT include deaths related to
automobile manufacture or operation other than collisions, however a
good many people have put forth that motor vehicles do indeed cause
death in manners not related to collisions. I understand that
operating one in an enclosed space can be quite fatal. In this regard
and in so much as the big ball we live on doesn't seem to share an
atmospheric current with any other celestial body it in and of itself
would seem to constitute one rather large enclosed space. It only
stands to reason that the outcome of operating these motor vehicles in
our atmosphere is essentially the same as operating them in a large
enclosed space, it's only a matter of time before it produces the same
results. I mean to say that if you fired up your Buick in a three car
garage it would take longer to kill you than it would in a one car
garage, but if the tank is full sooner or later your gonna get the
same results. Wouldn't it be nice if we could hold the people that
profit from the manufacture and sale of these things liable for the
damage their product does? I guess if we're going down that road we
ought to go after the booze vendors first as that would be more bang
for our buck.

People that think bicycles are dangerous can wear helmets and/or cups.
Personally I won't ride without a night-light, 'cause I'm scared of
the dark - YMMV.
Old June 6th 08, 09:49 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Kerry Montgomery

"DennisTheBald" wrote in message
[...]

For years now the levels of carbon monoxide emitted by new automobiles in
the US (sorry, don't know about other countries) has been so low that if you
fire up your (1980 or newer) Buick in a three car or a one car garage, it
will never kill you. See:
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=1273253
This result may or may not be able to be extrapolated to the big ball we
live on.
Kerry

Old June 6th 08, 10:59 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
DennisTheBald

DennisTheBald
For years now the levels of carbon monoxide emitted by new automobiles in
the US (sorry, don't know about other countries) has been so low that if you
fire up your (1980 or newer) Buick in a three car or a one car garage, it
will never kill you. See:http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=1273253
This result may or may not be able to be extrapolated to the big ball we
live on.
Kerry

I notice that you don't go so far as to say that car exhaust is
actually good for a body, good for you (doing so would have blown your
cover, you auto-industrial complex shill you;-). I'm still somewhat
incredulous, despite your citation. But, I am willing to acquiesce
that there has been some movement in a positive direction regarding
auto emissions in the US during the past couple decades... I wouldn't
want to get all political but there are certainly those that feel
these gains come at too high of a price and we need to operate more
like the Chinese do with fewer governmental regulations and more
conscripted labor. I am looking forward to all y'all burning less
sulfur in the diesel motor fuel when you deliver my goods.

And, even though governmental regulation is driving improvements in
the level of this one poisonous gas emitted by the motor vehicles I
don't think that you can conclude that a few failed suicide attempts
here and there make it safe to run your car in the garage. As a
matter of fact the reference you cite indicates that the subject of
this story was pulled unconscious from the garage after three hours,
most vehicles will operate for considerably longer than that on a full
tank. Also your cited report was created in 1981 testing 1980 model
chevys - I suspect that the same 1980 models would produce much more
CO if tested today. The late 70's were a period of peak
environmentalist activity, but with the 80s came Reaganomics and that
whole "greed is good" thing. Today the CDC recommends that you not/
operate a motor vehicle in your garage: http://www.cdc.gov/co/faqs.htm
- I believe this page to have been updated since 1981.

And I would encourage any and all motorists to test your theory by
going into the garage and fire it up.

Old June 7th 08, 07:13 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

"DennisTheBald" wrote in message
In general I would say the Ed Dolan is on crack, but this is the day
that the sun shines on that dog's ass...

Ed Dolan the Great is the mightiest genius ever to walk the earth! He is
also a Great Saint, but what would some slob known as Dennis the Bald ever
know about that. After all, he is not Great like I am.

Cycling in NOT particularly dangerous.

Motor vehicles are inherently dangerous. In the US there are about
44,000 fatalities caused by motor vehicle collisions every year, very
few of these involve bikes, or peds, or horses or whatever else you
might imagine other than motor vehicles. ...

[...]

If there were hundreds of millions of bicycles on the road with motor
vehicles we would soon see a slaughter would make the mind reel. The fact is
there are relatively few cyclists on the road with motor vehicles, and so
there are not so many deaths.

Now you know why I am a Great Genius and why Dennis the Bald is ... well,
bald!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old June 7th 08, 07:50 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:

"DennisTheBald" wrote in message
In general I would say the Ed Dolan is on crack, but this is the day
that the sun shines on that dog's ass...

Ed Dolan the Great is the mightiest genius ever to walk the earth! He is
also a Great Saint, but what would some slob known as Dennis the Bald ever
know about that. After all, he is not Great like I am.

sigh Nobody understands your Erse schtick, except me.

I suppose going over the heads of people can be fun for a
while, but that would get old pretty quickly. Getting
/into/ their heads and being a positive influence is so
horribly, disgustingly, unforgivably nice. It's delightfully
Machiavellian.

cheers, & Erin go bra-less,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old June 7th 08, 08:07 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
vernon[_2_]

"Kerry Montgomery" wrote in message
m...

"DennisTheBald" wrote in message
DennisTheBald
For years now the levels of carbon monoxide emitted by new automobiles in
the US (sorry, don't know about other countries) has been so low that if
you fire up your (1980 or newer) Buick in a three car or a one car garage,
it will never kill you. See:
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=1273253
This result may or may not be able to be extrapolated to the big ball we
live on.
Kerry

You have too much faith in the assertions of the report.

Yes, fewer people die of carbon monoxide poisoning when attempting to kill
themselves by using car exhausts but it's still possible to to be killed by
asphyxiation if the confined space is not ventilated. Catalytic converters
removed the carbon monoxide but the carbon dioxide levels are unaffected.

In a confined unventilated space with an engine running, the oxygen levels
will drop, the carbon dioxide levels rise and any hapless mammals including
humans sharing that space will eventually suffocate due to the lack of
oxygen. It just takes longer to die but gives more opportunities for the
suicide wannabees to change their minds and do something about it. It also
increases the chances of being discovered by a third party before the
attempt succeeds.

You are all welcome to try to prove me wrong but I would recommend you try
to do it using a hands on approach....

Old June 7th 08, 09:32 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"vernon" wrote in message

[...]

For heaven's sakes, the only way to kill yourself is to go down to your dirt
floor basement and hang yourself from the rafters. No one has any sense of
style anymore. Either do it right, or don't do it at all!

Old June 7th 08, 09:42 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:

"DennisTheBald" wrote in message
In general I would say the Ed Dolan is on crack, but this is the day
that the sun shines on that dog's ass...

Ed Dolan the Great is the mightiest genius ever to walk the earth! He is
also a Great Saint, but what would some slob known as Dennis the Bald
ever
know about that. After all, he is not Great like I am.

sigh Nobody understands your Erse schtick, except me.

I suppose going over the heads of people can be fun for a
while, but that would get old pretty quickly. Getting
/into/ their heads and being a positive influence is so
horribly, disgustingly, unforgivably nice. It's delightfully
Machiavellian.

It IS fun to put down anyone who takes these confounded newsgroups the least
bit serious. Tom Keats is one of the few who gets it. Like me, he is a
philosopher at heart. He has gotten that way from hard work on the docks of
old Vancouver. I have gotten that way from contemplating my navel all of my
life and never doing one lick of work. He is not as Great as I am, but he is
not altogether negligible either.

Old June 16th 08, 09:17 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
DennisTheBald

yeah, that makes so much sense, Ed...you must have gotten a fresh
supply of crack. I understand your position to be that "If there were
more bikes on the road even more motorists would be dying in fatal
auto crashes" - this is the kinda of twisted logic that I expect from
you. Your day in the sun is apparently over.

The bottom line is that automobiles are dangerous, people die while
going about in them (even when there a no bicycles within in miles of
them). People tend to kill other people while going about in them.
Just the building and operating them, even without the crashing part,
is harmful to people (despite incredible claims by industry shills
that the auto exhaust is no longer lethal!). Anybody that feels that
their operating a motor vehicle somehow makes the world less dangerous
is seriously misguided. They have probably been listening to
crackpots like Ed Dolan.

There are certainly isolated incidents where a bicyclist will injure a
pedestrian, in extremely rare instances even fatally. There is
certainly evidence that bicyclists have injured themselves, sometimes
fatally. But these are not common occurrences, even in places where
the bicycle is the most common mode of transport, and when these
events occur they tend to get a lot of press. Fatal motor vehicle
crashes are so common that they are frequently not even considered
newsworthy.

Yes, cars suck as do the people that drive them.
Old June 17th 08, 05:44 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

"DennisTheBald" wrote in message

ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS NOR DOES HE EVEN INCLUDE ANY OF THE MESSAGE TO
WHICH HE IS RESPONDING! WHAT AN IDIOT!

The only logic that is twisted is yours - you ****ing idiot!

The only crackpot here is you - you ****ing idiot!

There are certainly isolated incidents where a bicyclist will injure a
pedestrian, in extremely rare instances even fatally. There is
certainly evidence that bicyclists have injured themselves, sometimes
fatally. But these are not common occurrences, even in places where
the bicycle is the most common mode of transport, and when these
events occur they tend to get a lot of press. Fatal motor vehicle
crashes are so common that they are frequently not even considered
newsworthy.

No one on these cycling newsgroups gives a good god damn about how motor
vehicles fare. We only care about how cyclists fare when confronted with
motor vehicles - you ****ing idiot!

Yes, cars suck as do the people that drive them.

You are the biggest suck of them all - you ****ing idiot!

****ing Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Bendy Buses are Dangerous -- London Assembly Marc Brett UK 24 June 13th 07 10:23 PM
Dangerous cycling? Mike Sales UK 11 October 10th 06 11:14 AM
Cycling is not dangerous hippy Australia 1 November 3rd 05 09:18 AM
Cycling articles and buses Tony Raven UK 4 July 28th 05 12:34 AM
Cycling is dangerous Garry Jones General 375 November 21st 03 05:52 PM