There ARE more adults riding bikes

Old October 12th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
PatTX

Default There ARE more adults riding bikes

I just wish they'd get off of the sidewalks!

Old October 12th 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jay[_2_]

"PatTX" wrote in message
I just wish they'd get off of the sidewalks!

My pet peeve is seeing an oncoming bike going the wrong way in my bike lane:

http://tinyurl.com/4mwk6h

J.

Old October 12th 08, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Jay Bollyn wrote:
"PatTX" wrote in message
I just wish they'd get off of the sidewalks!

My pet peeve is seeing an oncoming bike going the wrong way in my bike lane:

You could use an umbrella as a jousting lance.

http://tinyurl.com/4mwk6h

An illegally parked Range Rover, no less.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.
Old October 12th 08, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jay[_2_]

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Jay Bollyn wrote:
"PatTX" wrote in message
I just wish they'd get off of the sidewalks!

My pet peeve is seeing an oncoming bike going the wrong way in my bike
lane:

You could use an umbrella as a jousting lance.

http://tinyurl.com/4mwk6h

An illegally parked Range Rover, no less.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.

On the city part of my commute, cars or trucks double-parked in the bike
lane is a daily event. (Lawrence Ave between Kedzie and Jeff Park.) But at
least they are not moving. Seeing a bike going the wrong way in a bike lane,
hard to tell what he might do.

J.

Old October 13th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Thompson

On 2008-10-12, Jay wrote:

On the city part of my commute, cars or trucks double-parked in the bike
lane is a daily event. (Lawrence Ave between Kedzie and Jeff Park.) But at
least they are not moving. Seeing a bike going the wrong way in a bike lane,
hard to tell what he might do.

I yell out "welcome to America! We ride *with* the traffic here!"

--

John )
Old October 13th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

"PatTX" wrote
I just wish they'd get off of the sidewalks!

Leave them be. It takes time to get used to riding. Don't expect them take
to the streets on the first ride.

Old October 13th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
PatTX

:: "PatTX" wrote
::: I just wish they'd get off of the sidewalks!
::
:: Leave them be. It takes time to get used to riding. Don't expect
:: them take to the streets on the first ride.

Oh, I haven't said anything to them about that, but I do wonder if they will
have a second time...after all, it's tough to ride with your chin getting
hit by your knee each time it comes up, not to mention grinding it out in a
high gear. I saw a woman yesterday that fit that description, and as I went
by, I said to her "Put it in a lower gear." (in a nice way). I didn't get
all of her answer, but most of it was "I can do that?"

I just noticed that all of the people I see riding the sidewalks are adults
in their 40's and above. None have mirrors, either.

sigh.

Pat

Old October 13th 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

"PatTX" wrote in message

:: "PatTX" wrote
::: I just wish they'd get off of the sidewalks!
::
:: Leave them be. It takes time to get used to riding. Don't expect
:: them take to the streets on the first ride.

Oh, I haven't said anything to them about that, but I do wonder if they
will have a second time...after all, it's tough to ride with your chin
getting hit by your knee each time it comes up, not to mention grinding it
out in a high gear. I saw a woman yesterday that fit that description,
and as I went by, I said to her "Put it in a lower gear." (in a nice way).
I didn't get all of her answer, but most of it was "I can do that?"

I just noticed that all of the people I see riding the sidewalks are
adults in their 40's and above. None have mirrors, either.

Well, when I started riding I rode down a main thorough fair to get to the
parking lots. Then I would ride loops in the parking lots. Then back to the
side walk to ride the wrong way to get back home.

Then one day I learned that one of my neighbors was a long-time cyclist.
So, he took me out on my first road ride. I just followed him and did what
he did. I found it was basically a matter of driving a bike like driving a
car. That's what got me over my fear of riding on the road.

BTW, this nieghbor just passed way two days ago due to cancer.

Old October 13th 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 19:07:11 -0500, "PatTX"
wrote:

Oh, I haven't said anything to them about that, but I do wonder if they will
have a second time...after all, it's tough to ride with your chin getting
hit by your knee each time it comes up, not to mention grinding it out in a
high gear. I saw a woman yesterday that fit that description, and as I went
by, I said to her "Put it in a lower gear." (in a nice way). I didn't get
all of her answer, but most of it was "I can do that?"

I just noticed that all of the people I see riding the sidewalks are adults
in their 40's and above. None have mirrors, either.

I commute to work on a bike--seven miles in each direction. There's
about a two-mile stretch coming home where I use a sidewalk. It's
rare that anyone actually uses it for walking, and on the rare
occasion that I do see someone, I yield to them. I'm not a novice
cyclist, and I've read some of Forester's stuff, but I've picked
myself out of ditches a couple times to avoid getting creamed. The
roadway is not wide enough to share a lane, and if you take it, the
driver's will pass close enough to scare the hell out of you just to
make a point.

Dave Clary
Corpus Christi, TX
Old October 13th 08, 07:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
On 2008-10-12, Jay wrote:

On the city part of my commute, cars or trucks double-parked in the bike
lane is a daily event. (Lawrence Ave between Kedzie and Jeff Park.) But at
least they are not moving. Seeing a bike going the wrong way in a bike lane,
hard to tell what he might do.

I yell out "welcome to America! We ride *with* the traffic here!"

I guess it's good when people ride bicycles at all. I'm
all for that, and supportive of anyone who wants to ride.

Being meddlingly officious at people often just makes 'em
dig-in their heels and stubbornly adhere to their
preconceived ways.

Live and let live.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

SOMETIMES RIDING BIKES IS BAD FOR YOUR YOU [email protected] General 44 November 17th 07 02:44 AM
riding bikes ROCKS Bleve Australia 24 December 15th 05 06:10 PM
If Adults on bikes could be as simple as kids on bikes Maggie General 63 October 11th 05 09:56 PM
What bikes should I be test riding? Just zis Guy, you know? UK 18 April 13th 04 08:23 AM
Trailer bikes, add-a-bike - for adults ? Cherry Red UK 15 February 19th 04 07:03 PM