Crank Arm Length

Old March 20th 21, 06:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Crank Arm Length

On 20/3/21 3:00 am, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, March 18, 2021 at 6:21:07 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 19/3/21 9:34 am, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, March 18, 2021 at 3:28:43 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 19/3/21 4:52 am, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, March 18, 2021 at 9:40:20 AM UTC-7, James
wrote:
On 18/3/21 2:27 am, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 3:33:04 AM UTC-7,
wrote:

+1. For a gravel bike and for me also for a road bike
the default position is on the hoods where you can
shift and brake instantly and at the same time. An
exception mayby for people in Australia where a cue
card looks like this: - go straight for 60 km and then
turn right, - after 50 km turn left etc. ;-)

Or of course you have the skills of Frank who can
shift and brake on a bumpy downhill with downtube
shifters.

Make sure that you are comfortable in that position
for hours even when climbing. Make a test ride without
bar tape first so you can adjust the shifter without
the need to remove the bar tape. Don't adjust the
shifter position by tilting your bar. The tilt of the
bar is determined by a comfortable position in the
drops.

With you there is no way that you can ride with your
hands off of the hoods for any distance without having to
slam on the brakes of shift. a 42 cm bar or even a 40 is
plenty wide to retain complete control even of a gravel
bike in heavy terrain.

This was relatively heavy terrain for my gravel bike.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CKiBRuFMpzgvdz3J9

Possibly even Joerg rated! I didn't see any mountain lions
though.

Where was that picture taken James? It looks like it is in
Grass Valley park. They cut down all of the original Redwoods
and put those damn Eucalyptus in there. They have similar
sections in Redwood Park. I rode on terrain like that
commonly before deciding to give up that sort of effort for
road riding.

It was taken on a road close to the Queensland border with New
South Wales in Australia, and about 80 km from the coast.

That is exactly the kind of Eucalyptus that they brought here.
They were told that we were getting the king that has excellent
hardwood but that isn't them. When cut and dried they develop
large long cracks that make the wood almost useless except for
things like cutting board and flooring narrow enough to use the
wood between the cracks.

So we now have Eucalyptus the size of Redwoods that sluff off
the materials from which forest fires are made.

Exactly that kind? I'm not sure how you know. There are hundreds
to choose from by the looks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lyptus_species

There are quite a number of species in the local area. Brush Box,
for example, is used in a variety of applications.

https://www.woodsolutions.com.au/wood-species/box-brush

There are a number of operating timber mills in town, and I don't
hear them complaining about large long cracks that make the wood
almost useless. I don't hear their calls for the planting of
Redwoods either.

Again, there is that language problem. Why is that? I said that we
were supposed to receive a species of Eucalyptus that didn't do that
and was good for hardwood lumber. But they did not supply that
species.
https://www.kqed.org/news/11644927/e...ee-took-root-2

Blue gums are a fast growing species that we, in Australia, use for
utility purposes - like making pallets and fences and it is also pulped
to make paper and cardboard. Again there are many eucalyptus species
that grow in unmanaged forests around where I live. For you to claim
that what is pictured "is exactly the kind of Eucalyptus that they
brought here." is kinda silly. Those pictured could be blackbutt,
spotted gum, grey gum, forest red gum, or any other of the 143 species
found in North East NSW.

--
JS
Old March 20th 21, 04:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/20/2021 2:21 AM, James wrote:
On 19/3/21 11:53 am, John B. wrote:

Well, reprehending on where James lives, but from Sidney to San
Francisco it is about 7,416 miles that he'd have to ride (on the
water) to get to your Grass Valley park.

Where is "Sidney"?

The usual question is, "Where's Waldo?" Maybe Sidney is with him.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Refining choice for a shorter crank. Crank length selection and seat position. Steve Freides[_2_] Techniques 12 August 2nd 11 05:52 AM
Crank Length oneisenough Unicycling 11 July 23rd 07 02:21 PM
FS SRM 172.5 crank length Pro [email protected] Marketplace 0 June 19th 06 10:25 PM
Crank Length Jee Doy Techniques 8 November 29th 04 09:21 PM
Crank length? Don Unicycling 21 July 25th 04 09:24 PM