New Airless Tires Coming "NASA" "Titanium" "Eco-Conscious"

Old March 24th 21, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default New Airless Tires Coming "NASA" "Titanium" "Eco-Conscious"

Anytime a company uses "NASA" and "titanium" in its marketing beware,
but yet another airless tire design is coming soon.

Still, there's probably a market for such tires for bike-share bikes,
many of which use pretty terrible airless tires. I was riding a
bike-share bike in Vienna and thought I was getting a flat tire and was
looking for the problem until I saw that there was no valve. It was
terrible ride quality with whatever they were using.

https://www.engadget.com/smart-airless-bike-tires-nasa-punctures-103757251.html

Personally, for my non-road bikes, I have switched to Schwalbe Marathon
tires which are pretty much puncture proof, a trade-off for their
greater weight, and I don't see a need for NASA inspired airless tires.
Old March 24th 21, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand[_3_]

On 3/24/2021 11:09, sms wrote:
Anytime a company uses "NASA" and "titanium" in its marketing beware, but yet
another airless tire design is coming soon.

Still, there's probably a market for such tires for bike-share bikes, many of
which use pretty terrible airless tires. I was riding a bike-share bike in
Vienna and thought I was getting a flat tire and was looking for the problem
until I saw that there was no valve. It was terrible ride quality with whatever
they were using.

https://www.engadget.com/smart-airless-bike-tires-nasa-punctures-103757251.html

Personally, for my non-road bikes, I have switched to Schwalbe Marathon tires
which are pretty much puncture proof, a trade-off for their greater weight, and
I don't see a need for NASA inspired airless tires.

In 2017 I rode some of those Vienna bikes, and I think they had Schwalbe
Marathon tires. The bikes were definitely heavy and sluggish, but did the job
of getting around town. I remember it cost one euro to register, and bikes were
then free for one hour at a time.
Old March 24th 21, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 8:09:12 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
Anytime a company uses "NASA" and "titanium" in its marketing beware,
but yet another airless tire design is coming soon.

Still, there's probably a market for such tires for bike-share bikes,
many of which use pretty terrible airless tires. I was riding a
bike-share bike in Vienna and thought I was getting a flat tire and was
looking for the problem until I saw that there was no valve. It was
terrible ride quality with whatever they were using.

https://www.engadget.com/smart-airless-bike-tires-nasa-punctures-103757251.html

Personally, for my non-road bikes, I have switched to Schwalbe Marathon
tires which are pretty much puncture proof, a trade-off for their
greater weight, and I don't see a need for NASA inspired airless tires.

The Martian rover neither carries the load nor puts on the miles to wear these tires out. They do NOT have traction at the sorts of speeds a bicycle travels nor do they have a wear life even remotely related to a rubber tire that has been 200 years in development.
Old March 24th 21, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/24/2021 8:27 AM, Bertrand wrote:

snip

In 2017 I rode some of those Vienna bikes, and I think they had Schwalbe
Marathon tires.Â* The bikes were definitely heavy and sluggish, but did
the job of getting around town.Â* I remember it cost one euro to
register, and bikes were then free for one hour at a time.

The one I rented in 2019 had tires filled with some kind of solid
material. I took it on a ride on Danube Island, the artificial island in
the middle of the Danube. It was still fun though it was so slow and
heavy that I couldn't ride as far as I wanted to.