high winds

Old November 14th 03, 06:50 PM
joemarshall

Default high winds

I've just ridden home and it was really really windy. The ground level
wind map website says 26mph gusting to 35.

It was a somewhat sketchy ride, despite being on the road. At one point
I was bang in the middle of a massive junction (Hammersmith Roundabout
for anyone who knows it), when I got blown so hard I was slowed right to
a stop. Going across the bridge over the Thames was interesting too,
there was a real wind tunnel thing going along the river, so I had a
huge side wind, I had to constantly turn and lean into the wind to stop
the unicycle riding itself towards the kerb.

The few times when I was going directly with the wind were great though,
super fast, I was actually putting back pressure on the pedals to stop
myself going too fast. Kind of like going downhill, but different.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

Old November 14th 03, 07:20 PM
keg

Joe,

I guess you were on the 29" not the Coker due to the fact you were
making progress?

Stopping in the middle of that junction would have been pretty
interesting, atleast you were near Hammersmith Hospital!

Glad you got home safely

Keith

--
keg
keg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/212

Old November 14th 03, 07:28 PM
thinuniking

i have riden on 2ft wide walls in the wind not as fast a 26 miles an
hour but it is scary as hell

--
thinuniking - mad as a clown

i have given up the wheel to live
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

Old November 14th 03, 07:45 PM
mango

Has anyone tried coasting or gliding down wind?

I tried this in germany on a road next to a windy beach. It was tons of
fun! but a little scarey when you got a gust.

--
mango - schwammkopf =)
mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

Old November 15th 03, 02:17 AM
U-Turn

Today out muniing I was hopping up a hill downwind. The wind was moving
me forward and making the uphill trip super easy.

--
U-Turn - Small fish, big pond

Weep in the dojo... laugh in the battlefield.

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

Old November 15th 03, 08:48 AM
john_childs

Riding in windy conditions is fun. You should try it while holding an
umbrella.

We had a little wind storm in Seattle a couple weeks ago. Wind gusts
were around 35 mph. I took the opportunity to go to Gas Works Park
which is right on Lake Union. The wind was blowing right off the lake
and right into the park. Wheeee!

There is a hill in the park with a large sun dial on it. I was trying
to ride one footed around the sun dial (much harder when it's that
windy). Riding down the hill directly into the wind was a blast. The
best fun was trying to hold a still stand in the wind. Open your arms
and chest up as much as possible and lean forwards into the wind as far
as you can without falling off. It's almost like flying (for a few
seconds at least). If only I could hold a still stand longer.

There is a virtual tour of Gas Works Park he
'VR Seattle - Gas Works Park'
(http://www.vrseattle.com/html/vrlist.php?cat_id=64)
The first VR movie is at the top of the hill where I was playing
around.
'Sun Dial Hill' (http://tinyurl.com/v3r0)

Wind is fun, especially when there is no rain along with it.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com