Where to find this screw?

Old August 19th 04, 02:48 PM
Eric Lambi

Default Where to find this screw?

Hello rec.bicycles.tech,

I have a set of McMahon Racing Components aero brakes that I've lost
an essential screw for. It is not a normal looking screw, and here is
what it looks like (taken from the other brake):

http://www.ltcycles.com/images/mrc_005.jpg

I don't believe MRC is in business any more, so I can't call them up.
I'm going to head to my LBS this afternoon, but checking here to see
if anyone knows anything about this screw or how I might get another.

Thanks,

Eric Lambi
Old August 19th 04, 03:07 PM
John Rees

"Eric Lambi" wrote in message
om...
| Hello rec.bicycles.tech,
|
| I have a set of McMahon Racing Components aero brakes that I've lost
| an essential screw for. It is not a normal looking screw, and here is
| what it looks like (taken from the other brake):
|
| http://www.ltcycles.com/images/mrc_005.jpg
|
| I don't believe MRC is in business any more, so I can't call them up.
| I'm going to head to my LBS this afternoon, but checking here to see
| if anyone knows anything about this screw or how I might get another.
|
| Thanks,

I can think of two places to get that.
1- a good hardware store. I've seen those or similar at any hardware
store that stocks a good supply of loose screws nuts, bushings etc.

2-Scavenge off a shimano brake caliper. I can't say for sure, since I
don't have a brake handy, but it looks like the same size as the
centering screw on a shimano road caliper brake.

Old August 19th 04, 03:07 PM
Edward Dike, III

"Eric Lambi" wrote in message
om...
| Hello rec.bicycles.tech,
|
| I have a set of McMahon Racing Components aero brakes that I've lost
| an essential screw for. It is not a normal looking screw, and here is
| what it looks like (taken from the other brake):
|
| http://www.ltcycles.com/images/mrc_005.jpg
|
| I don't believe MRC is in business any more, so I can't call them up.
| I'm going to head to my LBS this afternoon, but checking here to see
| if anyone knows anything about this screw or how I might get another.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Eric Lambi

That's called a set screw.
Probably available at a hardware store, possibly from one of the links
below.
You will need to determine the diameter, and thread pitch. That can be done
with a thread gauge, or by finding and identifying a nut that fits
perfectly.
ED3

http://www.boltdepot.com/
http://mscfasteners.com/index.html

Old August 19th 04, 03:42 PM
Jim Smith

(Eric Lambi) writes:

Hello rec.bicycles.tech,

I have a set of McMahon Racing Components aero brakes that I've lost
an essential screw for. It is not a normal looking screw, and here is
what it looks like (taken from the other brake):

http://www.ltcycles.com/images/mrc_005.jpg

I don't believe MRC is in business any more, so I can't call them up.
I'm going to head to my LBS this afternoon, but checking here to see
if anyone knows anything about this screw or how I might get another.

Looks to be a M4 x 0.7 x 6mm set screw, either cup point or oval point,
but its hard to tell from the picture. It is a standard item, should
be easy to find.
Old August 19th 04, 03:55 PM
John Everett

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:07:53 -0500, "Edward Dike, III"
wrote:

"Eric Lambi" wrote in message
. com...
| Hello rec.bicycles.tech,
|
| I have a set of McMahon Racing Components aero brakes that I've lost
| an essential screw for. It is not a normal looking screw, and here is
| what it looks like (taken from the other brake):
|
| http://www.ltcycles.com/images/mrc_005.jpg
|
| I don't believe MRC is in business any more, so I can't call them up.
| I'm going to head to my LBS this afternoon, but checking here to see
| if anyone knows anything about this screw or how I might get another.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Eric Lambi

That's called a set screw.
Probably available at a hardware store, possibly from one of the links
below.
You will need to determine the diameter, and thread pitch. That can be done
with a thread gauge, or by finding and identifying a nut that fits
perfectly.
ED3

http://www.boltdepot.com/
http://mscfasteners.com/index.html

Also:
http://www.grainger.com
http://www.fastenal.com

These are sometimes also referred to as grub screws.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old August 19th 04, 04:16 PM
Weisse Luft

For a local source, try a hobby shop that specializes in radio contro
aircraft. If they handle RC helicopters, they will have them. An
they are high quality, modelers HATE to lose an aircraft due to poo
quality components

--
Weisse Luft

Old August 19th 04, 04:25 PM
Marty Wallace

"Edward Dike, III" wrote in message

"Eric Lambi" wrote in message
om...
| Hello rec.bicycles.tech,
|
| I have a set of McMahon Racing Components aero brakes that I've lost
| an essential screw for. It is not a normal looking screw, and here is
| what it looks like (taken from the other brake):
|
| http://www.ltcycles.com/images/mrc_005.jpg
|
| I don't believe MRC is in business any more, so I can't call them up.
| I'm going to head to my LBS this afternoon, but checking here to see
| if anyone knows anything about this screw or how I might get another.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Eric Lambi

That's called a set screw.
Probably available at a hardware store, possibly from one of the links
below.
You will need to determine the diameter, and thread pitch. That can be

done
with a thread gauge, or by finding and identifying a nut that fits
perfectly.
ED3

http://www.boltdepot.com/
http://mscfasteners.com/index.html

We call it a grub screw. A set screw is a screw that has a thread that goes
all the way up to the head of the bolt.

Marty

Old August 19th 04, 08:18 PM
Craig

I have a set of McMahon Racing Components aero brakes that I've lost
an essential screw for. It is not a normal looking screw, and here is
what it looks like (taken from the other brake):

http://www.ltcycles.com/images/mrc_005.jpg

I never knew there was such a wonderful world of GRUB screws!!!

http://www.rctek.com/fixings/info_fi...ub_screws.html

Old August 19th 04, 09:44 PM
Mark

(Eric Lambi) wrote in message . com...
Hello rec.bicycles.tech,

I have a set of McMahon Racing Components aero brakes that I've lost
an essential screw for. It is not a normal looking screw, and here is
what it looks like (taken from the other brake):

http://www.ltcycles.com/images/mrc_005.jpg

I don't believe MRC is in business any more, so I can't call them up.
I'm going to head to my LBS this afternoon, but checking here to see
if anyone knows anything about this screw or how I might get another.

Thanks,

Eric Lambi

Hi Eric, As others mention, it appears to be a Metric Allen Set Screw.
You may have good luck at places like Home Depot, Lowes, or a Tru
Value/Ace hardware store. If not, try online companies like
McMaster-Carr, or Reid Tool Supply. Either of them will surely have
this item.
hope this help you, best of luck, and please let us know how you make
out? Mark
Old August 20th 04, 05:34 AM
ZeeExSixAre

Eric Lambi wrote:
Hello rec.bicycles.tech,

I have a set of McMahon Racing Components aero brakes that I've lost
an essential screw for. It is not a normal looking screw, and here is
what it looks like (taken from the other brake):

http://www.ltcycles.com/images/mrc_005.jpg

I don't believe MRC is in business any more, so I can't call them up.
I'm going to head to my LBS this afternoon, but checking here to see
if anyone knows anything about this screw or how I might get another.

Thanks,

Eric Lambi

It looks very much like the reach adjustment screw on many mountain v-brake
levers. Check to see if your LBS has a junked-up lever with this screw in
it.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Help to find bits tony R UK 6 January 12th 04 11:17 PM
Reflector Rain Capes - Where to Find? Elisa Francesca Roselli General 22 August 22nd 03 07:45 AM